Well i've been playing guitar for about 8 months and i want to start playing bass on the side. I need to save a lot for it, but i want to get an idea of what to get. I want something that i can slap/pop without too much difficulty because i would like to learn how to slap on a bass, not my guitar. I was looking at the 5-string ibanez GSR-205, then i looked at some 4-string Squiers. I'm not sure if i would rather have a P or J bass, i haven't had the chance to try them. Also, i would like some song suggestions for easy bass lines that don't sound like one note being played for 2 minutes, then change for the bridge, then back to that same note. I was also looking at a Peavey MAX 126 (im pretty sure thats what it was).

Any suggestions on the bass/amp/song are welcome.
Read the FAQ for bass and amp suggestions and the bass songs to learn thread. Any questions, then come back and post in this thread.

Stop thinking like a guitarist, btw. Its going to hinder your ability to be a decent bassist. Most bass lines are far more complex than what you have described.
I'm not thinking like a guitarist, i've just heard bass lines that sound like a more rhythm machine than the complex slapping of Flea or the fuzzy riffs of Muse's bassist. I have looked at (and played) bass lines on my guitar. I have even used finger picking with it. As for budget, probably anything around 350-400 or less. Not too expensive.
If you are just starting go with a 4-string and to help with slap and pop all you really need are really light strings
Yeah i was thinking getting a 5 string would be cool but i realized because im just starting, it might be better to get a 4 string. And please don't assume that just because i play guitar, i don't appreciate what other instrumentalists do.
Ill agree with the J bass recommendation for slapping but, i will bet that when you actually start playing, you be slapping about 5% of the time so dont base your choice on whether or not you can slap on it.

To be honest, i bought this Peavey for about 200 from GC and i cant be happier with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511369

But only buy one if you play it because ive played the exact same model and it played totally different.

Another really good bass that I played was a Squier P bass. The one i played, I liked better than an Fender '08 Precision.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

As for songs to play... Lithium and Sliver by Nirvana, Cissy Strut by The Meters, Sublime songs, Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band and Crossfire by SRV.
Good enough. However, there is a tendency of us guitarists going to bassist to try to translate bass through out guitar knowledge, which is hindering. Yes I mean "us", I played guitar for a long time before going to bass. Playing bass on guitar is quite different than playing bass on a bass. I apologize if I came off too harsh.

When you begin to play bass, you will hear that what you thought was very simple is complex and that the simple bass line requires an in the pocket timing that is difficult to achieve. Most beginner bassists can play the bass line to "Green Onions". Few of us at that point can play it in the pocket as Duck Dunn does on that song.

I do think you ought to check out the FAQ. There are tonnes of good ideas for basses and starter amps that will get you going nicely on your way...
I wouldn't get a cheap 5 string... The B string is gonna be floppy and crappy as hell... Save up for atleast a 500$ or so 5 string... The quality is a big improvement from a 200-300$ one.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I think what he meant was to not think like a guitarist because as a guitarist uses scales and timeing a lot differently. I did the same thing you did, played guitar, switched to bass and it is completely different but they do complement each other.

For example, as a guitarist i rarely followed the drummer as much as i do when im a bassist. As a guitarist i rarely use the major scale, pentatonics, except some modes, as a bassist i use the major and minor scales much more.

Dont let these guys persuade you from getting a 5 string. A 5 string is a great thing to utitilize especially if you dont use it a lot. A lot of my favorit bassists use 5-6 strings and still slap on them. Mike Gordon for one. The reason why some people think its harder is because the string spaces are smaller but not all basses have the reduced string spaces. There is this 5 string Squire that doesnt but i think that Ibanez does.

If your looking into a 5 string and your only real beef with it, is they say that it is harder to slap on, try it for yourself and use your best judgement. In the end, you'll feel the bass that is best for you.
Yeah, it might end up being better to start with a 5 string because if i can teach myself how to slap halfway decent on that, i could probably put that skill into a 4 string and that would help right? But i've been thinking maybe starting with the basics would be better. And just so its cleared up, i have played basses before. Ranging from a First Act to some expensive bass that i dont even remember the making of, and even an epiphone thunderbird. I do realize now, especially after playing guitar for a bit, that bass (no matter how many comparisons of the two you can make) is an entirely different beastie.
And thanks for your inputs. This has definitely helped clear up the different kinds, but it will ultimately come down to actually trying them, hopefully this saturday after my lesson.
Quote by AmpleSteak
I wouldn't get a cheap 5 string... The B string is gonna be floppy and crappy as hell... Save up for atleast a 500$ or so 5 string... The quality is a big improvement from a 200-300$ one.

I disagree on the subject of Ibanez gsr205. that is a very fine bass and outperforms many $500 5 string.
also, the length of the scale and the thickness of the strings affect floppiness just a wee bit more than the amount of cash you throw at it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have done some more research and it seems that the vintage modified squire j bass is loads better than the standard considering it's only 30 bucks more.

Any comments?
Great choice and well worth the extra 30 bucks. For starter basses, the VM series really are very solid and nice instruments.
i say the Squier VM series is a great place to start. they have expanded the line for this year. check the new models out at www.squierguitars.com
i think the Ibanez GSR's are also worth checking out, as are Schecter, and Peavey.
do play everything in your price range, and be sure to check for good used basses, in your area.
I'm planning on heading to GC this weekend and sitting in the bass section for a while trying different basses. I'll seem like a total noob though cause all i know how to play is hysteria and i dont think i can play it 'a tempo' and correct
Oh well. I hopefully won't have to do much playing to know which bass feels right. A lot of people say you can tell right away usually.
if i where you i would get a ibanez definitly because there one of the cheapest and best brands for beginners, ild say get a starter pack if your just gunna play on the side, ive been playing bass for like a year and i still have my ibanez from my starter pack.
nothing.