I have been looking at the epi sgs. One has just plain alnico pups, bridge and neck. The other has an alnico classic in bridge and an alnice hot in the neck. Which set would be better?
please dont buy an epiphone sg they are not great guitars...very heavy and the neck tilts to the floor BADLY...the stock pickups on any epiphone are crap and its very low quality wood used. go to a local guitar shop and play some guitars and see what you like
Well I have an Epi G-400...with two Alcino classic pickups. I can't compare to the others cause I haven't tried them but, lemme tell you...while Alcinos probably aren't the best humbuckers...the tone I get out of them is pretty freaking amazing. I have an old Vantage(no idea the model...google many times can't find anything...all I know is its Korean made), which is mostly my blues guitar, even running through my Marshall 30DFX with the bass boosted all the way, it sounds really thin. Not so with the Epi, I usually only have the bass at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and its really thick. Plus if you switch to both pickups or neck pickup(versus just the bridge pickup) you can't get some really nice squeals, without them getting too thin. Bends are simply rocking.

Anyways, thats all I can say about the classics, you'll have to wait for someone else to talk about the others.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.