Page 1 of 2
alright...
first off some people will probably think it sucks but I think it sounds amazing and I've never heard another like it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7amYNaPTRI
you guessed it, Carlos Santana..

now first off, I'm seeking the one in that specific video because his tone sounds different alot of times, it's the same basic tone but he uses different amps for different things..

now before you tell me it isn't possible because I'd have to be him, don't give me that. even the worst guitar player with no style would still have that kind of tone, just be real plain and boring if he were to play on Carlos' stuff that he used on that link..

now next, I'm not looking for just any tone he uses, the one in the video I posted..
I know he uses different amps for like lead, rhythm, more upbeat stuff, etc..
and that he swaps from amp to amp but what would I need to get the tone he has in that video?
specifically in the intro of it..
it's just so clean and simple but has a good overdriven sound to it.. it just sounds great and I'd really love to get that tone and I'm looking to spend a heavy amount on new gear sooner or later..
the stuff I have now is fine but I would like to upgrade even further.. and I would love to have that sound, I think I'd not have to continue tone searching.
and before you say to get your tone, maybe I can't.
mines ok now, hell I love the tone I have now but it isn't unique like his and many other famous guitarists with their killer tones..

so help me please, what do I need to get his tone?

I want the full details ranging from big things from the amp and guitar to little things like turning the volume knob halfway, etc.
That sir, would be the sheer awesomeness of a Dumble amplifier.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
That sir, would be the sheer awesomeness of a Dumble amplifier.

Except for the fact that Santana has played Mesas for most of his career.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Santana probably has the most expensive tone on the planet. Adding to what colin said, its a combination of a Dumble and an early Mesa + a tube screamer and a santana model PRS.

Now if you're on a "budget", there are a multitude of pedals which attempt to achieve the dumble tone. The Jetter Gain Stage, Hermida Audio Zendrive, and Lovepedal Eternity all try to get close. The consensus tends to be that they're great overdrive pedals, but they're not the same thing as the amp. You can try to put one of pushing a nice clean fender, like a Deluxe Reverb or MAYBE a Hot Rod Deluxe.

My best suggestion (without any regard to money) would be to go out and buy a Two Rock Jet or Overdrive Signature and a PRS Santana II or III. You're not gonna get your hands on a dumble very easily.

Another thought: Look for a used Mesa Mark I. They're basically overgrown fenders as well, but they tend to be used as higher gain amps.

Pricey? Sure. Toneful? You bet.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Last edited by SRVStrat808 at May 12, 2008,
in the link that guy posted with his boogie, his tone is different in that then the link..

so what will do it.. dumble or mesa?

and where in the heck do you get a Mark I? heh.
what's so different about it compared to the II, III, and IV

or a dumble.. where in the world can you get ahold of one of those heh.

I plan on getting a new amp so I'd rather go that way rather then just sticking with a pedal although my amp has a great clean channel...
but I don't know where I'd ever find either amp.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 12, 2008,
Quote by TechnicolorType
in the link that guy posted with his boogie, his tone is different in that then the link..

so what will do it.. dumble or mesa?

and where in the heck do you get a Mark I? heh.

I plan on getting a new amp so I'd rather go that way rather then just sticking with a pedal although my amp has a great clean channel.

Both will get it. Santana just fiddles with his eq.

Mesa Mark I's are pretty common on ebay. Mesa reissued the Mark I as well, so check your local dealers.

I got a pretty good Santana tone with a cranked Vibrolux, a stock Boss BD-2, and a Les Paul.
wow it sure is a little thing, so in the video I posted.. can that thing get that tone?
and can you hook it up to like a cabinet?

because it's rather small.

same thing he was carrying in that one video..

also what amp is behind him in "Into The Night"
and don't get me wrong, it isn't like the only Santana song I've heard, it's just one that really shows the tone I want.
Quote by TechnicolorType
wow it sure is a little thing, so in the video I posted.. can that thing get that tone?
and can you hook it up to like a cabinet?

because it's rather small.

Yes it can get that tone. In spades.

There should be a speaker out for an external cab. However. it can be switched between 60 and 100 watts, so I doubt you will need it to push any more air.
thing would be perfect..
amp that could have a huge sound when needed and it's so small I could go everywhere with it..

I want it so bad =X

so why can't you get the same tone on the other mark models?
and how come the mark I is so rare?

oh and is there an effects loop on it by any chance?
The other mark amps can get that tone (I think...), the Mark I is just the one that Santana used/uses.
hmm..
other ones are alot more common.. still would be nice to get the one he used.

and is the thing tube?

because it sure is small to have that many watts and be a tube amp.
The Mark IIB was the first Mark series amp with an effects loop.

The head would be fine/ It should sound roughly the same (depending on the cabinet used) as the combo.
Quote by TechnicolorType
figured.. I don't see why it wouldn't be.. just kind of hard to see 100 watts out of a little amp
but that's pretty sweet :P

That's because the first Mark I is actually a heavily modded 10" Princeton, done by modifying the cabinet to take one 12", modify chassis to take a Bassman transformer, and throw in two more power tube and one more 12ax7.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I think I'd rather go with the combo maybe though.. a little bit cheaper.. really easy to take places since I like to play with others but its a pain hauling big amps around.

I heard the Mark IIs were pretty good for a Santana tone too..

so I think I've made up my mind and plan to get a Mark I, or if I can't get ahold of one a MarkII.. probably a C or + because I heard those were the best of the 2nd..

but what else do I need to have or do?

and by any chance do you.. or anyone know what amp he uses in that video I posted in the first post..
at around 44 seconds and throughout the video you can see a stack of some sort in the back.

that's the main tone I want.. he uses it other times but alot of times his tone doesn't have that certain distorted crunch to it.. might just be the albums I have but normally it is a little more clean and such..
this is just a side note, im sorry for semi high jacking the thread.
i have never had the opportunity to play a mesa, as there are zero dealers around me.
but are they really just hot rodded fenders? like, can i actually get great fender cleans from one, as well as some really good dirt. not super heavy, just like SRV, santana stuff?
at least for the marks.. the first mesa ever made which Santana played on was like modded from one or something like that..

but I can't answer that fully.
Quote by SRVStrat808
Santana probably has the most expensive tone on the planet.

Ummm, wat?

The Santana tone is pretty cheap to achieve compared to many artists strictly speaking of amps as PRS pickups can be put into any guitar.
Quote by Zander155
Ummm, wat?

The Santana tone is pretty cheap to achieve compared to many artists strictly speaking of amps as PRS pickups can be put into any guitar.

The pickups aren't the only thing that makes a PRS a PRS.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Zander155
Ummm, wat?

I was referring to his use of vintage dumble and mesa/boogie amplifiers. Not exactly cheap to come by.

And in terms of guitar, while the pickups may be interchangable, the Santana tone isn't just the pickups. The PRS he plays has some unique features, most notably the brazillian rosewood neck and fretboard, which contribute a lot to the smoothness of his tone.

And back on the topic of the thread: Any early mesa (Mark I, Mark II) will deliver the santana tone extremely accurately. The Two-Rock idea still stands as well if you're willing to spend that amount of cash. This all depends on your budget.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Last edited by SRVStrat808 at May 12, 2008,
yeah, of the albums I have of Santana.. his tone isn't like the one in the video that I posted..

how would I get a tone like that out of a Mark?

and what is the amp he uses in that video.. around 44 seconds in it you can see it and it appears often in the rest of the video.
Quote by Osiris77
I'd say this is pretty close and its a much cheaper alternative......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8HpFBSJO9XE

and tbh it's alot flatter then his tone..

I figured was direct.. looked at the gear.. you guessed it.. POD X3, ew.

but yeah for people giving me cheap alternatives, I'm not looking for a cheap way out I'm looking for the real deal
I'm willing to bet it more gain or a ts on top of his mark, that makes that tone a bit different. Maybe a little studio magic.

My f-30 can do santana very well with the gain turned up a big, and the tone rolled off my strat in the 4th position (neck + middle).
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
as I said earlier, I know his tone isn't that hard usually..

I'm not sure if you guys are saying just any tone of his or the one in the song I posted..

what are some more songs where he has a tone like he does on "Into The Night"

from the stuff I've heard, it's a little different.
Quote by chea_man
are they really just hot rodded fenders?

i believe they're refering to vintage mesas such as the mark I, however if you were going to buy you'de have to go used as there are no dealers around you and they dont deal online
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
PRS into a Dumble. You could get one of the MANY Dumble clones out there. The most cost effective would probably be the Ceriatone.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
yeah...
I'd rather go for his Mesa I think though o.0
easier to find.. somewhat and is more of the real deal.
You don't need a dumble or a mesa for that kind of tone. The mahogany body guitar is important and so is the tube screamer, but the dumble isn't... Not for that tone. Set up a fender blues Jr on the clean channel or a peavy classic 30. Turn the trebble and bass down lower than you normaly would and then use the tube screamer to get the thickness and bite.
Not taking any online orders.
Those Mark Is you found are pretty highly priced imo. A few months back there was a reissue head for sale at Guitar Center for $900 (used). They also have a Mark II head for sale right now for $800 ( http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=103717315 ).

I think my Mark IV does a good impression of Santana's Mark I tone, though it's not spot on.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by CorduroyEW
You don't need a dumble or a mesa for that kind of tone. The mahogany body guitar is important and so is the tube screamer, but the dumble isn't... Not for that tone. Set up a fender blues Jr on the clean channel or a peavy classic 30. Turn the trebble and bass down lower than you normaly would and then use the tube screamer to get the thickness and bite.

heh, the funny part is I have a Les Paul Standard, Tube Screamer, and a classic 50 and I can't get that kind of tone like in the vid I posted..
You're never gonna get the exact tone. Much of what makes him sound like himself is just that himself. A lot more tone is in your fingers than you think.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
No, I know all this crap everyone is always saying but you can still get a sound like them if you played on their exact rig. It isn't going to all of a sudden have a super clean sound if you played on their gear and then when they play on it, it magically becomes more distorted so you can get reasonibally close.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 13, 2008,
so does Santana use the mesas distortion much.. or does he just use a tubescreamer to get that slightly distorted sound in the vid I posted.

actually after watching some other like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gpX97eg-W-k

tones a bit different but sounds just as good..

he has like this really distorted sound but it's really clean.. hard to explain but like when he hits the notes you can hear that "thump" sound you get when you have lots of distortion.. but doesn't sound like a lot.. so..

hmm how do you get that
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 14, 2008,
Page 1 of 2