Hello,
I am a 16 year old who just started playing guitar, and it is quickly becoming a passion for me. I started with a dean electro acoustic borrowed from a friend of mine a few weeks ago. Since then, I have an uncle who found out that I had an interest in guitar and gave me his old fender starcaster as a gift.

I know these guitars are not the best, and I am wondering what, if anything I can do to make this guitar the best that it is capable of being. I am definetly planning on changing the strings; if you have any recommendations of guitar string brands to try I am all ears, I use Ernie Ball's on the acoustic per recommendation of said friend.

Be gentle with your terminology, when describing things I can do, I am still very new to this, especially when it comes to electric aspects.

Thanks much for your time,
Firefly
well your first guitar isnt gonna be the best so theres not much you can do except to play alot and get comfortable playing on an electric.
then when you get your second or real guitar you'll know by then all the aspects of a guitar and you can really decide what you like,dont like, what kind of sound you want and etc.
but i guess you could get an amp if you dont already have one.
and as for strings theyre its all personal preference, so try out some different brands and see what you like.
have fun learning
Send me off to bed forevermore.
the best way is to take it to a guitar shop and get them to set it up for you. they'l make sure it plays the way a guitar is supposed to play
Fender strats are by no means bad guitars. Its all I play and all my brother plays. Many blues and rock and roll guitarist use them as well, and have been for decades. They're very reliable, and versitile guitars. Depending on if its a Mexican made fender, or an american made fender, that will tell you its quality level. If its a squier, then your right, there not the best. But a mexican fender can be easily upgraded with a change of pickups. And as far as an american strat goes, stock pickups are not bad, but eventually you'll want more flexible pickups. And like someone said, set up is important to. Get the action to your liking, and if its rather old, you might want to get the frets filed or replaced. I like GHS .10-50, but alot of people dont, so with strings just try out alot of different guages and brands. And lastly, dont worry so much about your guitar (although it is nessecary for it to function) and upgrading it, as much as you need to worry about your actual playing. But good luck with learning and finding the right stuff.
^ He said Starcaster not Stratocaster. Is it a Fender Starcaster or is it Starcaster distributed by Fender? The Fender Starcaster was an attempt by Fender to appeal to the semi/hollow body crowd. The Starcaster distributed by Fender is a cheap knockoff of a Strat. They sell them at Costco.
Quote by guitarnoobie
^ He said Starcaster not Stratocaster. Is it a Fender Starcaster or is it Starcaster distributed by Fender? The Fender Starcaster was an attempt by Fender to appeal to the semi/hollow body crowd. The Starcaster distributed by Fender is a cheap knockoff of a Strat. They sell them at Costco.

and bestbuy haha. no kidding they look exactly the same except for the headstock. you should change strings kinda often, they corrode fast and all your skin and sweat and oil crusts on the strings into black coatings (nasty feel and sound).
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
and bestbuy haha. no kidding they look exactly the same except for the headstock. you should change strings kinda often, they corrode fast and all your skin and sweat and oil crusts on the strings into black coatings (nasty feel and sound).

How often do you consider often. I can go without changing strings for months without them being noticeably dirty. Maybe it's because I almost always wash my hands before playing.
Ahhh that was my first guitar bro. and it had horrible action when i got it. if i were u id take it to a local guitar shop and get the neck set so it will be alot easyier to play.thank god i have my flying v now =)
Quote by firefly_shards
Hello,
I am a 16 year old who just started playing guitar, and it is quickly becoming a passion for me. I started with a dean electro acoustic borrowed from a friend of mine a few weeks ago. Since then, I have an uncle who found out that I had an interest in guitar and gave me his old fender starcaster as a gift.

I know these guitars are not the best, and I am wondering what, if anything I can do to make this guitar the best that it is capable of being. I am definetly planning on changing the strings; if you have any recommendations of guitar string brands to try I am all ears, I use Ernie Ball's on the acoustic per recommendation of said friend.

Be gentle with your terminology, when describing things I can do, I am still very new to this, especially when it comes to electric aspects.

Thanks much for your time,
Firefly

Dude im 17 in a month and I have been playing fo nearly half a year. Plus I play a starcaster (although I am own a bich, but its currently being delivered ).
Anyway are you using the classic fender starcaster (which i assume you are) or the fender stratocaster starcaster (which i am stuckwith for a few more weeks) ?

To answer your question, i have been using DR strings for a few months now. At first i bought the colored strings thinking they looked cool, but noticed a slightly better tone than fender generics, and a few other lame brands. Now Im using the extra life DRs (plain) and I love it. Sounds better than ernie balls. Do what i did though and every month or so swap your strings and find out what suits you. Ill never use anything but DRs again!

BTW if your using the crap starcaster (strat knock off) may i recommend getting a fat finger. It really improves sustain and tone. Otherwise just get the best cables and amp parts you can afford. Good luck!
Quote by firefly_shards
im using the "crap starcaster (strat knock off)" unfortunately

Yeah then do what i did. Use DR strings, never touch the whammy bar, get a fat finger from groove tube, and tune the thing every time you play with a good tuner set (if your new by ear is to tough)

Also dont use books that try to teach you sheet music. Stick with tabs here first. Then start teaching yourself sheet and theory. If you cant move your fingers there is no need to know the differnce between largo and allegro.