Hey all you UGers! Thought I would throw a question at all you guitar gurus. I have an Ibanez GRG170 (my first guitar) and have been thinking about throwing some new pups on it and was curious on your guys thoughts.

Should i just save more money and get a new ibanez later, or get new pups and some locking tuners (can't stay in tuned...)?

And if I were to get some new pickups, what would you guys recommend for an ibanez?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Sorry for reposting this, but didn't get very good response from other area.
Buy another guitar... I would stay away from modding your starter guitar. Because usually its low end and if your wanting to mod it, it wont cure the fever you have for something new...
JS series or Steve Vai. I've got a RG370DX and it's pretty sweet. If you're looking into the next level get at least a $800 guitar like the RG prestige.
new ibanez later, and yeah invest in a piece of Prestige Ibanez Gear or also look into the upper end brand of Laguna Guitars, ive been very fond of them lately, tried them in the store and it was fantastic
Maybe it's because it's the first guitar I played on, but I think it plays very well...I'm just curious if spending $800 on a new guitar is justified by a few upgrades that I could put on my current Ibanez.

Logically I feel like putting some nice pickups on it will give me the same sound as a $800 guitar.
IbanezPsycho hit it right on the head.. the upgrade is not gonna cure that fever for something new. at this point, you probably won't notice enough of a difference by just changing out the pickups. and even if you do hook that thing up and make it sound sweet, it'll soon still feel like the same old thing for you. if you want to make the biggest difference, then buy the best amp you can afford first because that will make the most obvious, most satisfying difference at this point.. plus you will buy yourself plenty of time to get a new guitar because you will be much happier with your sound.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by lowtek
IbanezPsycho hit it right on the head.. the upgrade is not gonna cure that fever for something new. at this point, you probably won't notice enough of a difference by just changing out the pickups. and even if you do hook that thing up and make it sound sweet, it'll soon still feel like the same old thing for you. if you want to make the biggest difference, then buy the best amp you can afford first because that will make the most obvious, most satisfying difference at this point.. plus you will buy yourself plenty of time to get a new guitar because you will be much happier with your sound.

That's a pretty good point...hmmm decisions decisions. Well what would be the best Ibanez for $800 and would the stock pickups be fine?
nothing bothers me more than when people just throw their "guitar fate" to the forum.. it's like the equivalent of going to school and saying, "ok classmates, tell me what is cool!" you gotta find that stuff for yourself, man.. do your homework and learn about tones and stuff. what kind of music do you play? what kinds of guitars do your idols play, and what kind of woods are their guitars made of? what kind of pickups do they use?
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by lowtek
nothing bothers me more than when people just throw their "guitar fate" to the forum.. it's like the equivalent of going to school and saying, "ok classmates, tell me what is cool!" you gotta find that stuff for yourself, man.. do your homework and learn about tones and stuff. what kind of music do you play? what kinds of guitars do your idols play, and what kind of woods are their guitars made of? what kind of pickups do they use?

True, however, I don't have money just to throw around and try new stuff out nor can I just go to a local guitar center anytime to try out things. Therefore, I come to the forums to get you guitar gurus opinions which can save some time. I know it'd be best to go out and figure out what sounds best to me, but it's difficult. Not attacking your comment, just telling you where I'm coming from.