Page 1 of 2
I was just thinking about it, and I realized that I can't think of any guitar players that started after they were 18.. I probably don't know about as many as you guys, but of all that I know, they all started early.

Can anyone name some guitar players that are good, that started playing 18+?
Zak Wylde started at 16.

It's not when you start though, it's how much effort you put into it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
My guitar teacher started at 4.

Mybad, forgot to mention he's asian.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Doodleface
Zak Wylde started at 16.

It's not when you start though, it's how much effort you put into it.

This.

If you practice 4 hours a day when you're 20, in a year you'll probably get to the same level as a kid who started when he was 13 but practiced like 20 minutes at most a day.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Tom Morello didn't seriously start playing guitar until he was in college.
I started at 13. I guess that all those who started over 18 would never get really good cause they already have other plans for their life, and no time to really practice. Any Great guitarists that I know or even heard of started around 12-16 years old. At this age, you have plenty of time to practice and say "I wanna be the best player all over the world", compared to that random guy that starts at 18+, who would say "I'll have no time to practice tomorrow because of my job, my girlfriend, school, and everything else". In my opinion, that's the main reason you can't find any good player that started late.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
starting young is def an advantage cause i guess its more natural if you grow up with it, and you also have more time to play when youre younger. I started at 18 (21 now) and its finally become natural to me, but my life revolves around baseball in college, so if ur more dedicated to guitar, ull do just fine
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Slaytanic6606
This.

If you practice 4 hours a day when you're 20, in a year you'll probably get to the same level as a kid who started when he was 13 but practiced like 20 minutes at most a day.

When you're 20 or older who has 4 hours a day to spend playing guitar? I'm 23 and I LOVE playing guitar and getting better but I'm lucky if I have 2 hours a few times a week to play. sad really.
slash started at 15 i belive
and zakk at 16
dime was 16 too i think
evh was in his teens as well

While not 18+ the guys above are right, when you learn it around that general age droup you tend to devote more time to it
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
I started at 13. I guess that all those who started over 18 would never get really good cause they already have other plans for their life, and no time to really practice. Any Great guitarists that I know or even heard of started around 12-16 years old. At this age, you have plenty of time to practice and say "I wanna be the best player all over the world", compared to that random guy that starts at 18+, who would say "I'll have no time to practice tomorrow because of my job, my girlfriend, school, and everything else". In my opinion, that's the main reason you can't find any good player that started late.

I'm 22, started playing the guitar when I was 20. Who says I have no drive to become better?
Quote by maniac111
Tom Morello didn't seriously start playing guitar until he was in college.

No, he started earlier. It was in college when he added a complete psycho practice regimen to his playing. You can read about it on wikipedia. It probably didn't hurt that his guitar teacher was Michael Angelo Batio when he was in college haha.
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Glenn Tipton didn't start until he was twenty-three, and he's one of the best old-school metal guitarists by far.
But as said, it's all about how much effort you put in.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by rcw110131
I'm 22, started playing the guitar when I was 20. Who says I have no drive to become better?

dude its obviously not on a personal basis, but think about it, the majority of kids who pick uo aguitar at that age for the first time have more time to put into it than someone whose 21+ and has to maintain a living
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
I started playing when I was like 12ish and I'm 18 now and have more motivation than ever to get better.
Quote by reservedforchoi
No, he started earlier. It was in college when he added a complete psycho practice regimen to his playing. You can read about it on wikipedia. It probably didn't hurt that his guitar teacher was Michael Angelo Batio when he was in college haha.

lucky bastard, he gets accepted into harvard and he gets a badass teacher
Clapton started when he was 16, I think it was.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I think Clapton started when he was 18.

Holy **** what are the odds of us posting nearly the exact same thing ^
Quote by rocknskate4
and zakk at 16
dime was 16 too i think

While not 18+ the guys above are right, when you learn it around that general age droup you tend to devote more time to it

But VH had classical piano studies before he played guitar so he had advantege there. Its like if Steve Vai decided he wants to be a violinist now. It would just take some weeks or months until he's an expert. The hardest part on music is developing the mind (with theory) and that takes most. A friend who begun like two months ago con play the 2nd solo in master of puppets (im his teacher ) but he cant improvise or compose for a **** cuz for him "thery sux lol"
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by reservedforchoi

I don't think playing 3 chords per song in a punk rock band really counts.
That's why I said he didn't take it seriously until he was in college. I'm pretty sure that Batio helped just a little, too.
Quote by maniac111
I don't think playing 3 chords per song in a punk rock band really counts.
That's why I said he didn't take it seriously until he was in college. I'm pretty sure that Batio helped just a little, too.

just a little? damn he is one of the best guitarrists around. Its like those lucky guys who got satriani to teach them. Just search around. You can see Va, Hammett, Friedman, and on wiki I found : David Bryson (Counting Crows), Kevin Cadogan (Third Eye Blind), Larry LaLonde (Primus, Possessed), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Phil Kettner (Lääz Rockit), Geoff Tyson, and Charlie Hunter.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Cliff Campbell of Fair to Midland started playing when he was 18.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

angus young was like 15
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Tom Scholz of Boston didnt start till he was 20 or something like that... and a year later he wrote Foreplay/ Longtime... Rock Band knowledge ftw
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Dont know if you've ever heard of him, but I met this REALLY amazing guitarist named Don Alder. He plays the same type of style as guys like Justin King and Andy McKee (sp?) but also does others....hes easily one the best guitarists ive ever heard and he told me he picked up guitar 10 years ago...he looks maybe early 50's ish. Youtube him...hes amazing.
Quote by rocknskate4
and zakk at 16
dime was 16 too i think

while that is true im pretty sure slash started at 16 2 years after trying to get into a girls pants which led him into music
Peter Lindgren started at age 16, but who knows if he even plays anymore.

It actually requires the brain great difficulty to process learning after the age of 20. It's similiar to learning a new language; the earlier the better.
Quote by rocknskate4
and zakk at 16
dime was 16 too i think

No.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Albert King didn't get is first guitar until he was 19. Izzy Stradlin of Guns 'n' Roses was also late starter.
I started late too, I was 18. I’ve just recently turned 20 now and I consider myself to be a moderate guitar player. But I could defiantly be a good guitar player if I practiced more.
Quote by rocknskate4
and zakk at 16
dime was 16 too i think

slash started at 13
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
According to wikipedia Wes Montgomery started learning guitar at age 19, so don't get discouraged.
Joe Satriani= My God
Steve Vai= My Jesus
Tom Morello=My Pope
Why does it matter? The reason most good guitarists seem to have started young is due to having a passion for it. That's it. If you develop the passion when you're in college, that's just what happened. Michael Romeo didn't even start seriously practicing till he was 18, so it's not as if they were practicing scales for 5+ hours each day the second that they picked up the guitar at 12 years old. The reason Steve Vai is as good as he is, isn't because he started at a young age. It's because he LOVES to play guitar. That love and passion is what drove him to where he is today. And that's that.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 13, 2008,
Despite the fancy name "fixationdarknes", you are in fact the coolest 08'er I have ever met.
Page 1 of 2