ok, i dont know if this is the right subforum, but i think it makes the most sense. but if not, apologies.

But why are some pickups "angled" on the face of a guitar? namely the single coil bridge on a strat. Ive also noticed this on all the ppickups of a jag-stang, and i thing on a mustang too?

I like how it looks, but am curious to why it is, and its origins to it.
Thanks, haha
It gives the higher strings a more trebley (sp?) sound, because the pickup would be closer to the bridge, and the lower strings a more bassy sound, because that part of the pickup is closer to the neck. Personally I don't think it makes much of a difference though.
hm, i seem to have worded this wrong, i know why the e-string side is higher, but thats not what i mean.

if you look directly at a strat, the bridge pickup on the e-string is more to the left (the bridge), and the E-string is closer to the middle pickup.
Quote by Skar578
hm, i seem to have worded this wrong, i know why the e-string side is higher, but thats not what i mean.

if you look directly at a strat, the bridge pickup on the e-string is more to the left (the bridge), and the E-string is closer to the middle pickup.

yea I know what you mean, the pickup is angled like that to give the e string a more trebly sound, then gradually go to a more bassy sound for the low E string.
Last edited by samick007 at May 12, 2008,
really, hm, i just like the way it looks, haha.

is there any reason its usually dont to only the bridge pickup, but some (mustang and jagstang) have all angled.
Quote by Skar578
really, hm, i just like the way it looks, haha.

is there any reason its usually dont to only the bridge pickup, but some (mustang and jagstang) have all angled.

I have no idea, maybe google it? google answers everything
yea, but i dont know what to search to ask almighty google, as of now it doesnt understand (my rendering) of english...
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's just how the guitar is designed.
There are TONS of guitar designs out there, designed to give you a specific tone. Look up Mosrite guitars. Very different designs than the norm.

Kudos on the Mosrite mention! They're one of my favorite guitars. I wish they were still in production.

As for pickup design, Skar578, check out some of the old 60's guitars from Teisco, Kay, Silvertone, ect. They had all kinds of pickup designs and combinations. The different designs and placement, as mentioned above, just really give the guitar a little bit different tone.

I saw a pickup on the Swineshead website in the shape of a V.

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/customshop.shtml

I thought it was interesting.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
The V-Pickup from Swineshead look's like a Gibson V2 styled model.

They had V-Shaped Humbuckers.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i made a thread on this not long ago, supposedly it has some sort of complex tonal enchancment with humbuckers , havent a clue though, check out my 7 string build its got 2 angled humbuckers on the plan up to now
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT