At about what time experience wise should you be able to learn solos? I have been really hungry about learning how to play a solo, but i need a suggestion what song has a good and somewhat fast solo that I should be able to learn. I have been playing for a little over 5 months. I was thinking about Iron Man solo but is there another one that should be fun to play but also fast and sounds nice. Also how do you go about learning a solo, do people usually play it slow and take part by part then eventually speed it up?
get your teacher to teach you how TO PLAY a solo and WHAT EXACTLY The solo is ( theory wise)

try some easy classic rock ones, you can probably get pieces of them

crazy train

stairway to heaven

uh.. howabout cowboys from hell?

get a metranome, start it slow, even maybe saying the notes out loud, and increase speed accordingly. It will be tedious and long, but do it roght.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I dont have a teacher, I wanted one though. Anyways, basically to learn a solo you just have to start slow. About how long will it take to really play a solo. I also want to know, once your experienced, how long does it take to to learn a solo. I just started but I really want to play well and solo like others do.
you really should cram down on your finger strength and dexterity ( agility in your fingers) and you should be able to pickup certain things.
everyones different, i can pickup a solo in about a half hour of hardcore playing.

Check out "steve vai's 30 hour workout"

its a guide that will look very boring, BUT WILL HELP YOU IMMENSLY

and one more thing, dont rush into trying to be a monster guitar player. You'll get there, learn the right things first, and dont start bad habits.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Yeah, there's a LOT of good resources for soloing online, including on this site. I'd say just google "How to solo" or something, and you'll find more articles than you will know what to do with. I'm not awesome or anything, but I'm no longer afraid when the band leader gives me a nod and steps back. :-)
Quote by ilovemySG
get your teacher to teach you how TO PLAY a solo and WHAT EXACTLY The solo is ( theory wise)

crazy train

stairway to heaven

get a metranome, start it slow, even maybe saying the notes out loud, and increase speed accordingly. It will be tedious and long, but do it roght.

Easy? I thought Cowboys from hell had some difficult parts in it.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at May 13, 2008,
Definitely practice slow and speed it up. That's what all the "experts" say to do, and it always worked for me.
geez...at 5 months i was still cursing every time i
messed up on the main riff of *Seek and Destroy*. lol

It comes with time. For now ...Black sabbath may be a
lil advanced..you can try stuff like..The offspring..
Dont worry about flash so much. A simple song can stil
be a great song..

Think about about it...most of the most memorable riffs
in rock history were simple. Simple stuff is good for building
your confidence. I applaud you for tryin to learn some Sabbath.
Its very simple in theory..but pushed about as far as you can
take it. It will be a good test. Just start slow and learn solos
a small peice at a time. Solos are really just a collection of licks
most of the time. so you can compose or learn them in pieces.

Try Snowblind...or Paranoid. Great songs ...all the chords can easily
be played with power chords..and the solos are textbook extended
pentatonics. Simple songs..people love them..and they definately
attract attention at guitar center...yeah i said guitar center..at least
nobody learns sabbath for themself..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Im 5 Months and the best i can do is probobly Dead - Mcr
Paradice City - GnR ( intro one )

But at a month i could to smells like teen spirit, try that.
I didn't start solos until I could do more complicated riffwork.
I have yet to learn any solos. I am going to try and power through Trivium - Like Light to Flies. Is anyone here familiar with the song and how difficult it is? I know it's one of the more easy trivium songs and I really love their music so I wanna try and play more of their stuff. So far I can play about the first 45-50 seconds i think fairly well, i've only been practicing it maybe an hour or two.
Quote by ilovemySG

crazy train

stairway to heaven

What the...?
Cowboys From Hell.. ye thats a well easy solo
/sarcasm
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
What you want to do is get yerself a metronome. It will help you immensly if you know how to work it. Get a simple song with a little solo to it, nothing too extreme. If you want my advice for a simple song, checkout the song "Winters Wolves" by The Sword. It's a very simple song, but with a very catchy solo in the beginning. Take it slow, this is what I did. I learned guitar pretty much by learning all of the Nirvana songs. DON'T DO THIS! KURT COBAIN WAS A SLOPPY PLAYER! He made excellent songs but the guitar is sloppy. I knew nothing about guitar until a year after I knew all the Nirvana songs. Practice a lot, and you can do it. It depends on how motivated you are, cause you seem a tad bit too impatient. Guitar is all about patience and having fun...good luck!

Mike