I'm thinking about getting one of these. I've been looking around at different ones, but since I don't know much about them, I don't know what ones are decent guitars. I only want to spend $600 max.

I tried searching for similar threads, but did not find very much.
Get a Mexican, if you like it then buy an American one. Honestly, there's little difference between the 2 other than price.
I've been playing mine for about 2 years now, I have a Made in Mexico Strat with a double coil back pick-up. I bought it for around 400$ I believe and it's been well worth the money, I recently upgraded, but I still use it as my back-up.

In other words, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value than a cheap Strat.
Try a Mexican Strat, those fit in your price range. Though they are known to have quality control issues so be careful about that.
You could probably get a used American Standard for that. Or you could get a Mexican Standard (what I have and I love it) which is $400 new. A Mexican Deluxe is $630 so try one of those out as well . Or just get a used Mexican Standard. They run for about $200 and sound just as good provided you get it set up properly and use the money you save towards a really good amp.
the highway one's are good too for a little gainier strat expeirience. they're like 750 though
Alright, I'm going to start looking around at Mexican Strats and used American Strats. Would looking on eBay be a good idea for them since eBay has a lot of used guitars?
Yeah dude, sometimes you can get amazing deals on ebay.
Might be a pain to find a good MIM Strat. I have an American Standard and then bought the cheapest Squire I could find as a travel guitar. When I bought the American Strat in Jan 07, the difference in quality between the Americans and the MIM were obvious--especially regarding the necks. The ends of the frets on the American are smooth as silk--even more so on the 2008 Strats. The MIM necks were so burred that if you did any slides on either E string, you'd slice your fingers.

When I got the Squire, I was surprised by the quality of the necks--they were almost as smooth as the American Strats and much better than the MIM. Shure, it took some setup to get rid of dead frets, loose the buzz, etc. in that Squire. The guy in the store I bought it from spent over 2 hours on it. Later I took it to a pro and he had to shim the neck and make a bunch of other adjustments. It's much better now. Still, the set screws in the saddle dig into your palm if you try to do any muting, too, the single ply pick guard is a little warped, and don't expect much from frets between 15 and the bridge, or for it to stay in tune after a couple of dive bombs. But I still like playing my Squire better than any new MIM Strat I've tried in the store. I have found some older used MIM Strats that weren't so bad, but they cost almost as much as the new ones, despite showing signs of a hard life.

Even the American Strat needed huge adjustements to play right, so be prepared to pay 50 bucks for a good setup after you buy unless you got some guitar tech friends.

The real key is to open the guitar box and check it out before you buy. The salesman is going to hate you and that rules out buying over the web.

Eric Clapton was very happy with his MIM -- a.k.a. Blackie

Anyway, if I had to do it over again now that I've been playing a year, I just might have gotten a $600 Ibanez, instead.
FYI - I've got a MIM strat and do LOTS of slides and the frets are fine.

and jetwash - i got confused reading your paragraph as to whether or not you were talking about a MIM or a Squier (not Squire).

Here is a good comparison chart. I think for the money the MIM strat is a great value.

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=30007

;
Quote by jetwash69
Might be a pain to find a good MIM Strat. I have an American Standard and then bought the cheapest Squire I could find as a travel guitar. When I bought the American Strat in Jan 07, the difference in quality between the Americans and the MIM were obvious--especially regarding the necks. The ends of the frets on the American are smooth as silk--even more so on the 2008 Strats. The MIM necks were so burred that if you did any slides on either E string, you'd slice your fingers.

When I got the Squire, I was surprised by the quality of the necks--they were almost as smooth as the American Strats and much better than the MIM. Shure, it took some setup to get rid of dead frets, loose the buzz, etc. in that Squire. The guy in the store I bought it from spent over 2 hours on it. Later I took it to a pro and he had to shim the neck and make a bunch of other adjustments. It's much better now. Still, the set screws in the saddle dig into your palm if you try to do any muting, too, the single ply pick guard is a little warped, and don't expect much from frets between 15 and the bridge, or for it to stay in tune after a couple of dive bombs. But I still like playing my Squire better than any new MIM Strat I've tried in the store. I have found some older used MIM Strats that weren't so bad, but they cost almost as much as the new ones, despite showing signs of a hard life.

Even the American Strat needed huge adjustements to play right, so be prepared to pay 50 bucks for a good setup after you buy unless you got some guitar tech friends.

The real key is to open the guitar box and check it out before you buy. The salesman is going to hate you and that rules out buying over the web.

Eric Clapton was very happy with his MIM -- a.k.a. Blackie

Anyway, if I had to do it over again now that I've been playing a year, I just might have gotten a $600 Ibanez, instead.

blackie was not a friggen MIM. where did you hear that?
black was made from random strat parts. the most resonant body he could find, and the best neck he could find. i dont even think they had a mexican factory back then.
Quote by Savage101
Alright, I'm going to start looking around at Mexican Strats and used American Strats. Would looking on eBay be a good idea for them since eBay has a lot of used guitars?

Before you buy one from e-bay, take a look at this.
It has some useful information.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-a-Fender-Stratocaster-A-Guide-for-the-Novice_W0QQugidZ10000000001650626
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratocaster Standard MIM
Peavy ValveKing 112
well imo.. there is a massive difference between 2006 + models and bellow 2006 models. when i played a mexican strat which was made before 2006 it was really bad.. but when i picked up a 2006 model it was magic, it actully felt i like had a real stratocaster and more

PS (2006 + models have neck upgrades etc
You could look into lite ash strats and classic players for that price, both are fairly awesome guitars
Quote by Savage101

Yes, but don't you have any local store near by? They usually have some trade-ins. Also, check your local Craigslist. THis way, you can actually play the guitar you might buy.

If you buy on eBay, make sure to follow some of these:

1. Buy only from sellers that sell a lot of guitars and will rate them.

2. Call them and ask about the neck--make sure it is straight.

3. Try to buy only those guitars that are 'practically' brand new. This insures that it will be in good shape.

4. Try to track auctions for 1-4 weeks first to get an idea of how much they should trade for.

5. Resist buying a 'Buy Now' guitar--these are usually over priced.

6. Try to buy one that has several people bidding--this usually means that it is fairly priced.

7. Once you find a guitar you like, bid last minute (or last second) as to not drive the price up.

8. Check the photos carefully for wear and tear to make sure you know what you are getting.

Good luck. C
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Here's an example of a 50th Anniversary that went a very good price IMHO. Note that I do not think you need the Anniversary, so a good MIA should be even less:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280223599834&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
600 can get u an (i think) MIM strat with reversed headstock, thats what i would get anyways
Quote by Savage101

I'd stay away from ebay. Buying a guitar is like buying a car, you need to try it out first. If you end up going to ebay, make sure the seller is a licenced retailer and has a return policy. A brand new Strat goes for $400 at GC so I wouldn't even bother looking for a bargain on ebay.

EDIT: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
Last edited by pwrmax at May 13, 2008,
i wouldnt go with MIMs as an upgrade
you should go MIA
the wood in the body and neck is better quality and the body is 2 piece instead of 4
and you cant change the wood of the guitar
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Savage101
Which one of these Fenders would be better?http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

I don't know much about Fender guitars so I'm not really sure which ones are decent.

That all depends if you like humbuckers or single-coils. I prefer the single coils but that's just personal preference. Your best bet it to go and try it out yourself. In terms of quality, they're pretty much the same.
Go into a guitar shop and play a couple of MIA Strats, even try some Eric Johnson model or some of the more expensive ones. Do that to have a reference point. Also play them unplugged to get a feel of how they respond. After that, play as many MIM Strats as you can until you find one that has a nice neck and sounds well (unplugged). Then just buy new pick-ups. Don't buy any guitar online unless you can send it back or something.

If you can afford it, get one that's made in the USA.
Last edited by sergiu at May 13, 2008,
if u plan on getting MIM strats, then you gotta try it out b4 u buy, they can be real hit or miss
+1 to these two guys - that is Exactly what you need to do.

PS - I like the HSS strat because I get the Humbucker and the Single Coils. And yes, I've swapped out the stock HB for a Seymour Duncan.

It was interesting to note the stock HB at least had Fender on the bottom of it, which i didn't expect i guess.

;
All,

I'm sure chea_man is right about Blackie. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere when I was researching the differences between the different Strats, but it was dumb to quote it without confirming it. Sorry to pass on misinformation.

Anyway, the MIM's I've seen at the local Guitar Center have had thinner finishes, rough fret edges (sometimes sticking out at as much as 1/64" from the neck), and the sunburst models looked a little tacky (but not as bad as the Squiers--thanks 311ZOSOVHJH).

Bottom line -- it pays to check out any guitar in person before you buy it, and even then, unless you know what you're doing, you'll probably need to pay another 50 bucks to get it set up.

Savage101 - good luck finding a guitar that works for you!

Cheers...