So er, got my first pedal today, and I must say it has made me quite happy in my pants.

However, I have not yet stated looking for songs with Overdriven bass.

To my "knowledge" their is alot of metal bands with overdriven instruments, and I just want to know what I should be looking into.
Not just some bands, but songs in particular, with some nice lovely overdriven basslines.
Lots of Rage Against the Machine has TASTEFUL distortion. Check it out.

Actually, you know what. I'm gonna piss some people off. Timmy C has a better tone than Jaco. Yeah. I said it. Flame on.
Here's something a bit less typical:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKZsZkH_MJc
You probably wouldn't expect Victor Wooten to use overdrive, especially in that style of music, but it's tasteful and it sounds pretty good. The effect starts at about 2:40 but you should definitely watch the entire video.
Got Bass?
Quote by IndianRockStar
Lots of Rage Against the Machine has TASTEFUL distortion.

TASTEFUL is the key word. I think you could play more rock/metal songs with a little bit of TASTEFUL distortion. Look into classic stuff like Sabbath too.
Quote by shammyshamsham
MUSE!!!!!!!!!
Best place to start in my opinion.

Too bad Chris doesn't use overdrive...
Quote by Charlatan_001
Too bad Chris doesn't use overdrive...

Stole the words out my mouth. Fuzz is not close to overdrive.

That is, unless the TS got the Boss ODB-3, which is much more a fuzz pedal than an overdrive.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Charlatan_001
You purchased a pedal without any idea of what to play with it?

Tsk tsk.

whats wrong with that?
I wouldn't go out and buy a pedal just so I could play that muse song exactly like it sounds on the cd, I'd go buy a pedal 'cos I wanted something new to add to my sound
Quote by IndianRockStar
Lots of Rage Against the Machine has TASTEFUL distortion. Check it out.

Actually, you know what. I'm gonna piss some people off. Timmy C has a better tone than Jaco. Yeah. I said it. Flame on.

Actually, as hard is it is to admit it, I agree with you. I love Tim's overdriven tone.

If tasteful overdrive is what you're after, try listening to some RATM, Tool, and... well thats all I can really think of right now. If you want more of a fuzz or distortion sound, try listening to Muse.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by RideTheWay
whats wrong with that?
I wouldn't go out and buy a pedal just so I could play that muse song exactly like it sounds on the cd, I'd go buy a pedal 'cos I wanted something new to add to my sound

Well, from your original post, I gathered that you had no idea how to tastefully use the effect pedal you purchased. I didn't mean that you should know what cover songs to play with the pedal, but rather how to utilize it before you buy it.
So you wanna tell me Chris Wolstenholme doesn't use overdrive???

If you genuinely think that then fair enuff.
You turn an ODB-3 up to full od an see what you get, the effect is pretty similar with most overdrive pedals for bass.

If Ace_rns has an od pedal, he can replicate the sound that Muse have using it.

So there.
*smug smile*

Erm btw Timmy C doesn't use overdrive pedals full stop, he 3 amps with clean, od, and one with mega od, an he has the clean running at all times, with one of the other two coming through.
Last edited by shammyshamsham at May 13, 2008,
Quote by shammyshamsham

You turn an ODB-3 up to full od an see what you get, the effect is pretty similar with most overdrive pedals for bass.

So there.
*smug smile*

As gm jack said, the ODB-3 is more of a fuzz than an overdrive. The line to draw between the two isn't very clear, but a fuzz is more of a really distorted sound, almost synth-like at times. An overdrive is more subtle, and is usually described as a "crunchy" or "grind" sound. By that definition, Chris does not use overdrive. However, many pedals, especially bass pedals, don't disambiguate between overdrive/fuzz/distortion and just name themselves whatever the hell they want, as is the case with boss's bass overdrive. My ibanez pd7, for example, is labeled as a distortion/overdrive, but I cannot for the life of me get what I would consider an overdrive sound out of it.

Anyways, that's my spiel.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by shammyshamsham

So there.
*smug smile*

Erm btw Timmy C doesn't use overdrive pedals full stop, he 3 amps with clean, od, and one with mega od, an he has the clean running at all times, with one of the other two coming through.

Live, he has overdrive running pretty much constant. Of course, no one actually knows what he uses to get his tone. Wikipedia has some info, but not everything is there.
Bass player magazine 2006 September states the following for Chris W's effects:

Effects Electro-Harmonix Big Muff š, Electro-
Harmonix Bassballs, Human Gear Animato Distortion, Akai Deep Impact bass synth, DigiTech Synth Wah, Sound Sculpture Switchblade DL

And after a search through some of their 2006 magazines, I am convinced that BP was a much better magazine two years ago
Check out early Venom stuff from the albums "Black Metal" and "Welcome to Hell." Cronos has some mean overdrive going, and I'm pretty sure it's just a tube amp cranked with no effects. IMO, there's no substitute for that real tube 'growl' I've come to love.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by aprilfool2112
As gm jack said, the ODB-3 is more of a fuzz than an overdrive. The line to draw between the two isn't very clear, but a fuzz is more of a really distorted sound, almost synth-like at times. An overdrive is more subtle, and is usually described as a "crunchy" or "grind" sound. By that definition, Chris does not use overdrive. However, many pedals, especially bass pedals, don't disambiguate between overdrive/fuzz/distortion and just name themselves whatever the hell they want, as is the case with boss's bass overdrive. My ibanez pd7, for example, is labeled as a distortion/overdrive, but I cannot for the life of me get what I would consider an overdrive sound out of it.

Anyways, that's my spiel.

I've found that if you put it on "Clean" and "Attack 1" and then EQ the pedal so that it's less trebly, then it's... sort of overdrivey.
Hey, strangely disappearing threadstarter, do you mind telling us what pedal you have?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, I did kinda of disappear didn't I?

One, I know How to set it up, And Use it. No need for angry faces.

It is a boss OBD-3.

Two, the whole Fuzz, Vs Overdrive, Vs Distortion.

Honestly I Don't know the differences. Nor do I care as much. It Sounds pretty Damn awesome whatever you decide to call it.

I was looking for songs in particular that would be hard to recognize without the "insert effect" sound.
Quote by terb
TASTEFUL is the key word. I think you could play more rock/metal songs with a little bit of TASTEFUL distortion. Look into classic stuff like Sabbath too.

NIB!
Quote by Ace_rns

Two, the whole Fuzz, Vs Overdrive, Vs Distortion.

Honestly I Don't know the differences. Nor do I care as much. It Sounds pretty Damn awesome whatever you decide to call it.

Apart from the fact there are very distinct differences in how they sound, and hence how they are used.

The ODB-3 is a very heavy distortion pedal, that hits fuzz at higher gain settings (really, any gain past 1-2 o' clock) and at minimal settings can pass for a bad overdrive.

The higher setting can be used for a Cliff Burton kind if tone, so some of his solos with Metallica (Anasthesia and Orion principally. Call of Ktulu is more of a wah solo).

Also, at slightly lower settings with more of the dry signal blended in, it can work for a Muse style fuzz tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Check out "Witching Hour" by Venom (from their album "Welcome To Hell"). In the intro, where you hear the bass playing a "note," Cronos is actually beating his bass and letting his open C# string along with a higher C# power chord ring. Tune to C# standard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZojdZGkojas

You can see it clearly here. For its time, this band was brutal.

Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.