Poll: Which book should I read?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which book should I read?
The Old Man and the Sea
5 17%
Catcher In the Rye
12 40%
Slaughterhouse Five
11 37%
Anthem
2 7%
Voters: 30.
Page 1 of 2
Alright, so my senior year is winding down and I've procrastinated a bit (read: a lot). I have less than 2 weeks left to read a book and write two essays on it. I need a book that is renowned, on Sparknotes (well this would help), and is relatively short since I'm strapped for time. I'm thinking like in the 200ish range. Not too much more than that. I'm sort of a slow reader and I don't have a lot of time. UG literary nerds! Help me!

For an idea of what type of books I'm into (although I'm open minded) I've read (this semester):

Fahrenheit 451
Lolita
A Clockwork Orange

There are others but I can't remember.

EDIT: Poll has been added.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Last edited by barb3rman at May 13, 2008,
Of Mice and Men.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
The Catcher in the Rye? It's a school classic!
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
The Oddysey is really good, definately a classic, and not too long if I remember correctly.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
How has Animal Farm not yet been mentioned?

EDIT: And to TS, Farenheit 451 is my favorite book of all time.
"The Pearl" by john steinbeck...that was one of the creepiest books i've ever read.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
A Clockwork Orange will always be my favorite book of all time. I love the way it is written, Anthony Burgess is a brilliant writer.
Quote by 1fine69
The Oddysey is really good, definately a classic, and not too long if I remember correctly.

It's also a translated poem. Not the easiest reading material . . .
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Smoothrider_41
The Giver is the best book ive ever read.

The giver is good, but it's pretty low-level reading compared to what he has been reading in class.
Actually some of these suggestions were books I was considering (Catcher in the Rye and Slaughterhouse Five).

I've already Alice in Wonderland (great book) and Animal Farm. The others I will look into.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy the books are 100000 times better than the movie
Actually maybe you could try Ender's Game. It's an extremely popular book and you could finish reading the rest of the series over the summer. It's like 350 pages though, but it's a good read.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by FireandFlames
Fight Club

+1.

nah, +100.

I finished reading Fight Club a week ago and I'm still lovin' it.
Quote by guylee
^ this or the old man and the sea

You're kidding right? That book was so boring.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by guylee
^ this or the old man and the sea

yep, it's extremely short and actually pretty deep.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Anthem - Ayn Rand
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Of Mice and Men - I forgot

And if you have time to read Ender's Game, it's an amazing book.
The entire series is my all-time favorite.
I read all the Hitchhiker books last year. I love that series. The movie was atrocious though.

I've always wanted to read a Hemingway book...hmm.
Two of my friends have read Catcher in the Rye and recommend it.
And Slaughterhouse Five I also heard was good.

Maybe I should make a poll and let you guys decided between a few books that intrigue me.

Quote by dylpikle9
Anthem - Ayn Rand
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Of Mice and Men - I forgot

And if you have time to read Ender's Game, it's an amazing book.
The entire series is my all-time favorite.

The Fountainhead is my all time favorite book. I have Altas Shrugged lined up to read for the summer (since it's so hefty). I'll consider picking up Anthem if I can find it. Our library isn't the greatest.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Last edited by barb3rman at May 13, 2008,
Quote by barb3rman
I read all the Hitchhiker books last year. I love that series. The movie was atrocious though.

I've always wanted to read a Hemingway book...hmm.
Two of my friends have read Catcher in the Rye and recommend it.
And Slaughterhouse Five I also heard was good.

Maybe I should make a poll and let you guys decided between a few books that intrigue me.

BTW, there is also a TV series for the Hitchhiker book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
My god, how could I forget. The Great Gatsby.

EDIT: Voted Slaughterhouse 5 though.
Last edited by Dilweed at May 13, 2008,
Ok guys I added a poll for the top four books that intrigued me. Thanks to all who made suggestions.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Night by Elie Wiesel - it's pretty short (150 pgs. approx.) and a VERY good read. It's kind of depressing as it is about the holocaust, but it's the true story of the author's escape from a concentration camp. It was a required read my sophomore year of high school.

The Prince by Machiavelli
Silas Marner by George Eliot
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
Grendel by John Gardner
My Gear:
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Taylor 410ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Blackheart Little Giant
Zakk Wylde Wah
Fulltone FullDrive 2
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone GT500
Fulltone TTE
Boss Metal Zone
Line 6 Delay Modeler
Quote by FeelTheMPower
Night by Elie Wiesel - it's pretty short (150 pgs. approx.) and a VERY good read. It's kind of depressing as it is about the holocaust, but it's the true story of the author's escape from a concentration camp. It was a required read my sophomore year of high school.

inb4 holocaust deniers.
by the way, don't you think your teacher will notice you picked an obviously short book?

and one that's popular and on spark notes?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by FeelTheMPower

Hell, I had to read it in the 5th or 6th grade...
Quote by Its_Rock77
by the way, don't you think your teacher will notice you picked an obviously short book?

and one that's popular and on spark notes?

The shortest book on that poll is probably Anthem, and any teacher would probably love an essay on that book.
My vote goes to Slaughterhouse 5. If you enjoyed Fahrenheit 451, I have no doubt that you'll appreciate Slaughterhouse 5, too.

EDIT: ^ Frankenstein was surprisingly good. Pick it up if you get a chance, TS.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! I don't remember if it was very short, but its very funny, and just plain awsome.

You could also try 1984 or Animal Farm.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Page 1 of 2