Karl Sanders has disgusting tone.

If I may quote a sig I see around here:
"If your tone looks like this
your crowd will look like this "

So true. I'm glad my band's bassist forced me to keep listening to Nile, because if he didn't, I would never have gotten into them, BECAUSE OF THEIR TERRIBLE GUITAR TONE.
Karl Sanders can obviously play, but he can't dial in a good tone to save life.

*Sigh*

How I hate scooped mids
I agree. I cant tell if its his tone or the recording quality sometimes though.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Mids are alright, depends on the amp and the guitar. Strats love mid-scoops - they bring out all that jangle and clank. Also, most jazz boxes prefer neutral mids (set to 4 or 5, depending on your amp).

I love Nile, I admit their tone isn't the greatest but frankly it works for what they do.
Scooped mids can sound good, BUT, if you wan't your guitar to be heard mids is important especially when you crank it, because with scooped mids it tends to become just...noise live. + I love the sound of high mids :p. (I have mine at 9.5 xD)
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
It depends what you're playing. Lots of mids desn't exactly sound great for heavy metal
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Only reason I don't listen to this band often is the horribly muddy production. Suffocation has this same problem (though not as bad). For a band playing such technical things you'd think they'd want you to hear it...
Quote by Ichimaru
It depends what you're playing. Lots of mids desn't exactly sound great for heavy metal

Listen to my Schecter of Metal clip on my profile and tell me lots of mids makes for terrible tone.
At least you can hear what's being played. :\

And yeah. to the poster above, that's exactly what I don't get.
They're insanely technical, but that's useless if you can't hear what's being played due to totally scooped out mids.
Their stuff isn't too bad on a really decent set of headphones, and Annihilation of The Wicked is actually pretty awesome sounding through some decent studio quality monitors, but most people (or so it seems) listen through earbud headphones or computer speakers, and Nile sounds like **** on both of those 9 times out of 10.

Shame.
That's like asking why most black metal bands still use sh*tty studio productions, or why punk bands use power chords. There's always exceptions, but the majority of the bands in any genre tend to follow trends to keep their music related to that scene. In Nile's case it's all about teh brootalz
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I don't think Nile has a ****ty tone? In fact I love their lead guitarists tone...
i hate their tone

its so muddy. it just souinds like..mush.

i like mid scooping. but there can be too much of a good thing.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by Ichimaru

Maybe not overexagerated (sp?) mids, but atleast the mid on about 4 (depending on amp) is good. Also for heavy metal.

Though I must say, nowhere does it say lots of mid's is bad for heavy metal. I've heard great metal tones with lots of mids.

And I beleive slayer uses lots of mids. Even though I don't like their tone, nor their music
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by Dream Pin
Listen to my Schecter of Metal clip on my profile and tell me lots of mids makes for terrible tone.
At least you can hear what's being played. :\

And yeah. to the poster above, that's exactly what I don't get.
They're insanely technical, but that's useless if you can't hear what's being played due to totally scooped out mids.
Their stuff isn't too bad on a really decent set of headphones, and Annihilation of The Wicked is actually pretty awesome sounding through some decent studio quality monitors, but most people (or so it seems) listen through earbud headphones or computer speakers, and Nile sounds like **** on both of those 9 times out of 10.

Shame.

r tone is horrid
I don't like Nile's tone per se but I think it works within the music and I don't think it's anywhere near as muddy as some people say it is.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by PhantomNote
Maybe not overexagerated (sp?) mids, but atleast the mid on about 4 (depending on amp) is good. Also for heavy metal.

Though I must say, nowhere does it say lots of mid's is bad for heavy metal. I've heard great metal tones with lots of mids.

And I beleive slayer uses lots of mids. Even though I don't like their tone, nor their music

they definitely scoop their mids. a good example is megadeth when it comes to metal bands with a lot of mids. they have it like 7-8 on their amps and have quite a bit of treble but not so much bass
Quote by ironman1478
they definitely scoop their mids. a good example is megadeth when it comes to metal bands with a lot of mids. they have it like 7-8 on their amps and have quite a bit of treble but not so much bass

kerry king boosts the **** out of his mids

jeff henneman on the other hand not so much
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Why would you listen to a Technical Death Metal band that sings about Egypt for their tone.

Ps. I'd like to see you play an 11 string with a better tone.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
I've never seen anyone compliment their tone before this thread.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by ironman1478

But then if you compare that with Metallica, who sound much heavier than 'Deth, they scoop their mids to about 3.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by shaakaal
kerry king boosts the **** out of his mids

jeff henneman on the other hand not so much

i always thought slayer scooped their mids >.>. also it depends on what amp you are using, like metallica on their earlier albums scooped their mids on marshall jcm800's while megadeth did the opposite on some custom amps for rust in peace
Quote by ironman1478
i always thought slayer scooped their mids >.>. also it depends on what amp you are using, like metallica on their earlier albums scooped their mids on marshall jcm800's while megadeth did the opposite on some custom amps for rust in peace

Slayer are boosted mids ahoy, always have been.