hey. I'm looking for a used tube amp 1000 dollars. I want to be ableto get into the 700 and less range by buying used.

What I'm looking for:

All tube
Eq, master volume, effects loop, two channels (footswitchable), pedal acceptive, 40 watts or less.

I'm mainly looking to be able to play classic rock, and more modern rock like the red hot chili peppers. No metal. I want decent(not bright) cleans and good overdrive. I'm willing to get it with apedal but I prefer not to.

These will mostly be used in the practice situation, maybe later jamming and small gigs. I want it to last a while.

I'm looking at the:
traynor ycv20wr
Marshall DSL 401 (I hear about reliability issue but otherwise this seems really good)
kustom 36 coupe
Visualsounds workhorse pony
Vox ac15cc

Any ideas on the preceding, or other amps
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
maybe a crate palomino stack

GREAT for cleans

overdrive is decent but a tubescreamer in front of it and it will be badass andyou'll have money left over too

downside is that its single channel and 30 watts other than that its great
the lower the wattage the better and I dont need great cleans. I just need decent. Plus thetwo channels are pretty much a must for me. And there's better pedals than tubescreamers. I know my pedals.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
thanks for the input but could you give any reasons or other recomendations.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Basically, it is the only one on that list that I have played other than the AC15. It handles all of what you want pretty well without a pedal. The AC15 I find to be a bit bright and jangly.

Look into a used Peavey Mace. I saw one go for $500 the other week. Incredibly underrated amps, IMO.
For chili's stuff and a good overdrive, i'm voting the marshall, but that's alos becuse i've played it and liked it, but I haven't played the others.
The Traynor YCV 40 was the first amp that came to mind as I read your requirements. I realize you want an amp for home use, but if you ever get gigging -and need cleans- you'll be glad you have the extra power. IMHO, 30W is the gigging minimum.

The Vox AC15 is not a two channel amp. Neither is the AC30, but I'd still suggest you take a look at it. Roll off your volume knob for cleans, roll it up for some of the best classic rock crunch in the business.

The Peavey Classic 30 and Delta Blues are also worth looking into. The Delta Blues is like an AC30, but with two footswitchable channels.

I'm not a fan of the DSL401.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
DSL/TSL have lots of reliability issues especially those dealing with channel switching,

IMHO that is extremely important, channel switching must quick with no delays and work! That is the main reason i didnt buy one

just imagine being on stage in you want to go from clean to OD but your channel doesnt switch, i cant travel with an amp i cant trust

THe peavey classic is an amazing amp, i really like the distortion channel on it
i was going to buy this amp, but needed more clean headroom

Heres a tip: If you have the money spend as much as possible so that you can get the best amp possible, that you like, this way you dont end up buying and selling amps every couple of months (and paying extra $$) like me..............

if you feel that you can save a little more cash...
i would highly reccomend the Orange Rocker 30 for you, the OD is orgasmic LITERALLY

Laney amps are also great, ie, VH100R, GH50L, LC-50II
i really like Laneys better than marshall (at least marshalls current line of amps), they have really clean and defined gain channels, and have that EL34"marshallesque tone", and are freakin reliable!
GH50L and LC50 are both in your price range so you should give those a test

Oh and another great amp is the fender supersonic, unlike some other fender amps, this one has a great distortion channel, and will do pretty much anything youll need

BTW there isnt that much of a difference in loudness between a 30watt amp and a 50watt amp or even a 50 watt amp and 100 watt

your ears might be able to detect it but most of the time to human ears it sounds equivalent in volume

the main difference and most obvious is the clean head room for the different wattages, the higher the watts the more the headroom
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Traynor YCV 40 or a Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by slatsmania
The Traynor YCV 40 was the first amp that came to mind as I read your requirements. I realize you want an amp for home use, but if you ever get gigging -and need cleans- you'll be glad you have the extra power. IMHO, 30W is the gigging minimum.

The Vox AC15 is not a two channel amp. Neither is the AC30, but I'd still suggest you take a look at it. Roll off your volume knob for cleans, roll it up for some of the best classic rock crunch in the business.

The Peavey Classic 30 and Delta Blues are also worth looking into. The Delta Blues is like an AC30, but with two footswitchable channels.

I'm not a fan of the DSL401.

wait, the vox ac30 is a two channel amp. just not footswitchable...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
wait, the vox ac30 is a two channel amp. just not footswitchable...

True.

There are folks who hook 'em up with an a/b/y box, but I prefer to blend them. So for my purposes, it behaves like a one channel amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laney VC30 is your PERFECT amp.

but getting one in the USA might be tricky. traynor i'd say.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by slatsmania
True.

There are folks who hook 'em up with an a/b/y box, but I prefer to blend them. So for my purposes, it behaves like a one channel amp.

oo, ok I see what you mean. yeah I hardly ever use the clean channel, and hardly ever combine them.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
For that kind of money you could probally get into a mesa lonestar used. Great amp
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
$700 or less for what you want is easily attainable. I see Traynors from time to time on the used market for that or less. Currently a YVC80 for $450 for example. I thought of the YCV 40 as well when I saw your original post. I'm guessing no fender amps due to the "bright" comment? Which is fine, they are not for everyone but I think they can do what you are looking for as well. Good luck.
how does the marshall, laney and traynor overdrive compare? Does the traynor have bright cleans?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
also, do you you think I should just get a cheaper tube amp like a blackheart and get some nice pedals? Anyone know any cheaper amps with effects loops?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'