OK, My amp has a grounding issue, i think. Its a solid state, and I need to know what my options are. when i turn the amp on it is totally quite, but when i plug a cable into the input, there is a very annoying hum that cuts through. Is this a grounding issue, or a problem w/ the input jack, and what can I do to correct this. Also, any ideas about how much a repair would cost me?
It could very well be the guitar that's not properly grounded. Have you tried with a different guitar? Also, when you touch the strings or one of the electrical parts (switch, jack, pots) does the humming go away or lessen?
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
It could very well be the guitar that's not properly grounded. Have you tried with a different guitar? Also, when you touch the strings or one of the electrical parts (switch, jack, pots) does the humming go away or lessen?

Yeah, Ive tried different guitars, and the problem is still there, and touching the strings or metal doesn't made the hum go away. Im pretty sure it is the amp, even the other end of the cable isnt plugged into anything, the hum is still there (I have a high end monster cable, and have tried different cables also). Any ideas about what I could do, ive also tried various outlets with nothing else in the room plugged in.

And I am playing a Les Paul, so single coils are not an issue, any ideas?
i suggest have it checked by a qualified technician. it could be the input jack.
it's so nice to be happy!
Last edited by Super BisDak at May 13, 2008,
Quote by Super BisDak
A poorly grounded amp will produce excessive humming even if you plug nothing into it. In your case, the amp hums when you plug something. I think your amp is ok. It could be your guitar cable, try using other cable.

I have tried 3 or 4 cables, and nothing changes. So I am leaning towards this being a problem w/ the input jack, correct?
I think the only thing you can do is take it to a technician. Most things suggested here were easy to fix/check yourself, but I wouldn't start opening the amp and fiddling with some wires unless you know exactly what you are doing (especially solid states)
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Yeah, thats what I thought, does anyone have any idea how much it is going to cost to take it to an technician