Page 1 of 4
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
Okay, the last thread was getting a little bulky, so here's the new one. Once again, here's the rules:

Here are the rules:

1. Absolutely no more articles about the following:

- why today's music sucks
- what defines "punk," and "is punk dead?"
- why "band X" is crappy and should go to hell
- what happened to solos?

We have multiple articles about all of these topics, both good ones and bad ones, and it's been done to death. Opinons are like assholes. Everyone's got one, and everyone's stinks.

2. If you see a suggestion that you would like to write about, post in this thread to let me and the rest of the Columns Team know that it's been covered. This way we won't have six of the same articles being submitted in the same week, and Zappp won't have to pick one and disclude everyone else.

3. Articles must be well-written. There's a thread in this forum where you can post your article and have it proof-read for grammar and accuracy.

4. Do not write one-sided rants about whatever issue you are mad about this week. If you choose to cover a controversial issue, make sure you address it fairly and in an un-biased manner.

5. Be aware that if you plagarise, or steal another member's article, you will be warned, or banned, and the article will be modified to name the real author. If you find an article somewhere else that you would like to see re-printed on UG, submit it with proper citation (just an author and/or website). Give the author credit.

6. Look around the Coulmns pages to make sure your article hasn't alredy been written.

7. Please don't spam this forum with new suggestion threads, etc... Make a new thread to post your upcoming article, or to post a suggestion about the forum, but not for new article requests.

The following current topics are up for grabs:

1. We are considering a series of articles called "10 Guitarists You Never Heard Of." basically, it's bringing the brilliant work of lesser known artists to the forefront. Post your chosen ten guitarists here, and if there's no problem, go ahead with your article.

2. An article or two on making good original use of effects pedals for the guitar or bass. It might be best to choose an artist (Tom Morello, John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, The Edge) as an example for your article.

3. Any kind of commentary on the importance of practicing and such. We don't necessarily want a lesson here, because there's a whole seperate section for lessons. But a piece about WHY you should practice would be really good.

4. Rankles has already written one article on home recording with a computer, but the topic is huge, so if anyone wants to expand on that topic, it's up for grabs.

5. Ultimate Gear Reviews are being accepted too, so long as they follow the guidelines laid down in the thread (it's sticked at the top of this forum).

suggest away!
Moto+_+
No se que poner
26 IQ
Cool....first post!

Well...a nice review on how to do our Cd's in Recorder's...like the benefits of more Tracks...how to do them....the basics...some good recorders and so on.

Its like...i recieved my new musicians friend magaziine...the recording issue...and i see a lot of recorders...some with 8tracks, 10 tracks 24 tracks and so on....but i say....ok...and now what do i do with all this buttons....the sliding things or tracks...w/e they are called...how to find the perfect sound with an EQ... and so on...i know nothing so a good review would be really beneficial

EDIT: I just saw the thread about this so...if you read this good then...try to make a revier but there is a thread about this suggestion
Stick it to the Man!!!!!! +_+
Last edited by Moto+_+ at Mar 10, 2004,
Backup Guitar
I have no life
175 IQ
^ Yeah, I suppose recorders can be complicated. Maybe an article about how to use recorders / mixers would be nice.

Oh, another idea I have is 'Caring for your Tube Amp'. I will be writing this one, but if I don't get it done before the weekend, it'll have to wait a while. I'm going to be leaving monday to British Colombia, then coming back on the next monday, late at night. So I guess y'all will miss me....
UG Columnist
Go HERE to get educated

UG Schecter Fan Club. Member #1.5
libralirational
UG Newbie
33 IQ
Is this just music or can articles be on other misc. things? I'd like to start writing on current affairs for America mostly (since I live in that region of the world), to get kids educated on topics besides just "will there ever be another great guitarist ever" or whatever that article was called (if that sounded like an attack...half the attack cuz it was more of an example).
"Hey! Theres some guy spitting on me! Don't spit on me. I hate it. Hate it. If you see some guy spitting on me, knock him in the side of the head. 'asswipe' QUIT IT! You get hepitis that way. I'm not that punk, alright!" -fat mike
Last edited by libralirational at Mar 12, 2004,
MrLucky77713
Bite the hand that feeds.
108 IQ
Well, i could do it, but if someone else wanted to make a brief history of metal starting with the 60's (i think thats when it started) and ending with today, just including the subgenres such as Nu Metal (most people here would be loath to write about it but it IS metal) and not turning the article into a rant, itd b great. But if it's bombard the newb day, i can research and write it myself, but i don't listen to as much metal and im not as passionate about it so im not the best candidate
Live fast, die young.
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
yeah, just to officially clarify:

ALL articles MUST be related in some way to GUITAR or MUSIC IN GENERAL.

not trying to rip on the guy who suggested it, but i just want to save people from wasting their time. I won't approve non-music articles, and zappp won't post them anyways.

MrLucky77713: I suggest letting someone else handle that article, especially if it's not really your fave genre to begin with. but if you wanna do research and stuff, go for it.
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
i've got an idea for a series of columns...

i'd like to do reviews of certain albums that stand out as not only an exemplary bunch of songs by a good band, but that work well as a collective statement. albums such as Dark Side of The Moon, The Wall, Nevermind, Back In Black, Californication, etc...

basically, an extensive review and anlysis of albums that really made a mark, not so much for hit singles, but simply as great pieces of art.

and i'm going to lay down my claim on the first one:

Sublime - Self-Titled

this album OWNS, and I think it definitely stands out as a depiction of the life of a heroin-addicted musician in the poor part of Anaheim in the mid 90's.

anyone else wanna do one?
MrLucky77713
108 IQ
hmm... albums of collective statements... youre going to get a LOT of suggestions here man... i propose London Calling by The Clash, really influential, regarded by many as one of the most influential of all time. the song for which the album is named is an all time favorite and really is an anthem for britain at the time

By the way... that metal history is up for grabs, if theres no takers within 7 days i may have to do it myself.
Live fast, die young.
nOtReGiStErEd
p-90= TONE!
49 IQ
I will be writing my black sabbath history for the end of this week, haven't had time but i have some now and i might as well make use of it
Pierre Kacsinta
UG Newbie
10 IQ
Hey everyone My friend and I are starting a website (www.lamusicreview.com) that will concentrate on the Los Angeles music scene. We're going to write show reviews, features and interview musicians. Since we are both from Los Angeles, we're only able to cover L.A. acts. However, we will accept reviews and story ideas from anywhere in the U.S. or abroad. If anyone is interested in writing for my on-line publication email me at primetimepierre@yahoo.com. If you write a cool article for ultimate-guitar chances are that you can get it published on my website as well. Of course I can't pay you for your article cause I go to college, thus I have no money. But you will get credit for your story so long as it is your story not something you lifted from another publication. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Pierre
Pierre Kacsinta
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
^

good to know, but i'd appreciate if you didn't advertise your site too heavily on UG. UG is free as well, so zappp can't have unsolicited advertising on his boards.

it's fine if you have it in your sig, or mention it now and then, but i don't think it would go over too well if you posted the link on your submitted UG articles.

hey, are you still gonna write for us? they loved your first piece.
I'm thinking of History Of: The Ramones. They are one of my favourite bands and have quite a history so it could be a long 'un.
MrLucky77713
108 IQ
^^Histories of certain band scan get flamed unless they are done very completely. Be careful
Live fast, die young.
Geldof the Grey
Read the Weekend Riff!
1,242 IQ
Whiskey Leech: I don't mean to be harsh, I'm no expert at anything and I just dabble, but we know that your contribution to the GtGL was not as well recieved as the other parts so far (although I liked it, just that friggin jerk takes all the credit for everything, but don't tell him I said that) but everyone loves your history ofs and from some of your posts here and elsewhere on this board I think you like writing them and are much more enthusiastic about them than the various guides flying about.

that friggin jerk:
good call on the important albums things. What category is that. History of perhaps or more artist discussions probably?
If I get around to one of these, I'm going to do either the first Korn album or a big brittish punk (either something by the jam or Never Mind The Bollocks)

Something I might do if I get around to it is a cut-down, simplified guide to harmonising. Basically, a beginners guide to keys and pentatonic scales and cutting out everything about 7ths, embellishments and wierd scales. Has a really simple guide to harmonising been done already?
UG-MPAS
UG-FOTR
UG-Columnist!

And they think these little wrist bands are going to stop them getting bullied? BOLLOCKS! It'll just help the bullies pick out the ones they need to beat the **** out of!
pfff
Pierre Kacsinta
UG Newbie
10 IQ
Thanks for the heads up on the advertising thing. I wasn't planning on linking my site with submitted articles, but its good to know the position of the site...I want to keep writing for this site but school is kicking my ass. I can barely keep up with tests and papers so it makes it tough to do anything else...talk to you soon.

Pierre
Pierre Kacsinta
Geldof the Grey
Read the Weekend Riff!
1,242 IQ
^OK, I'll write that up this weekend. It'll sound really basic to anyone who knows their theory, but it's for those people who keep posting riffs with no regard for the fact that they keep changing key, y'know?
UG-MPAS
UG-FOTR
UG-Columnist!

And they think these little wrist bands are going to stop them getting bullied? BOLLOCKS! It'll just help the bullies pick out the ones they need to beat the **** out of!
pfff
^Geldof and 'Jerk

I know my guide article wasn't top notch (4* not too bad :p but it was a bit rushed and I think I could have probably done more areas. The feedback and comments overall weren't that bad though.

I love writing the History articles, as everyone seems to like them and they have all had a good rating and comments so far. Seeing as I came up withe the idea in the first place!!!

In future, unless I know I can do as well as you guys on the guides or whatever, I'll stick to History Ofs.

UGs Historian, WL.
Geldof the Grey
Read the Weekend Riff!
1,242 IQ
^Don't get me wrong man, it's not a bad column. You just need to take more time over them and I don't think you really want to you take ages over revisions and do several, the megadeath 'history of' had about 8 revisions, right?

Historians however... they have decades! You cna still write columns, you can even finish off the guide to going live column you still have to do if you have a chance.
UG-MPAS
UG-FOTR
UG-Columnist!

pfff
^yeah the Megadeth one was my first and I knew it was going to be hard seeing as many people that come here, know and like the band.

I won't be able to finish the GtGL at the minute, because I have a lot of school work to do, and we have exams coming up. Plus, I was stuck for ideas when I started on it.

I will bring the good soon enough.

Geldof the Grey
Read the Weekend Riff!
1,242 IQ
well it doesn't mater at the moment anyway, it can wait a while.

I've just realsied that all we've been doing for a while now is sitting around slapping eachother's backs. I'm gonna go write that column, you can read over it tommorrow!
UG-MPAS
UG-FOTR
UG-Columnist!

pfff
Backup Guitar
I have no life
175 IQ
*slaps geldof's back*

Have fun, buddy!

Oh, btw, I did write one more article... yet to appear. But I have seen at least 5 knockoffs of it appear! Has the art of instrumentation even be submitted? I'm positive it has... but geez...
UG Columnist
Go HERE to get educated

germinator2000
Spinal Tap Never Die
11 IQ
I was wondering - how well would a guide to writing articles go? Although it is very self-reflexive, if done well, it could stop many crap articles and also raise the standards of the new articles. It would also be fairly easy to research (Just go and look at old articles with 5 stars) and then give some advice.

Also, maybe a guide to publicising your band, and getting your name known. I am in no state whatsoever to do this, as I am only in a beginning band, but maybe someone with a little more success could write one?
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
a guide to writing articles would be VERY poorly recieved. not enough people would see it, so not enough people would use it, and those that did read it would reject it because nobody like to be told what to do.

but YES, i do like the idea of a guide to publicising your band. somebody want to do that one?
Geldof the Grey
Read the Weekend Riff!
1,242 IQ
<b>Band Publication could slip into the guide to going live.</b>
I'm going to stick my beginners guide to making things not sound **** up this afternoon
UG-MPAS
UG-FOTR
UG-Columnist!

pfff
Backup Guitar
I have no life
175 IQ
Okay, this is what I'm going to do.

I will start the 10 guitarrists you've never heard of. I will do the first on on matthew good.

I will expect others, with their own suggestions, to write up their little bits on that guitarrist and post it in the thread. I will post up the finished article and give credit to all.

UG Columnist
Go HERE to get educated

MrLucky77713
108 IQ
Hey, here's a question. What should I do after the 90's punk article? Should I simply stop? Should I state the nature of punk that is circulating today (without bashing any of it...a true challenge for me) or just screw that and think of something else?

Mr. Lucky
Live fast, die young.
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
^

you can do either. i would be REALLY careful with the current punk scene, as you are basically inviting criticism by even putting forth an opinon. but it's up to you.

what other ideas did you have?
MrLucky77713
108 IQ
Yeah, if that current status of punk article was done any less then perfectly, I could COUNT on a good flaming. However, if the 80's and 90's articles go well I would be in good practice of objectionality, and would have some small support by those who have read and liked the others.

An opinion in such a paper is out of the question. It'd have to be completely objectional, with pros and cons for every argument.

My other ideas are doing history of:'s for the clash, ramones, sex pistols (which is an interesting one), and other punk bands who just aren't around anymore, making them truly history.
MrLucky77713
108 IQ
Oh, okay then. No problem, there are still plenty of other old punk bands for me to write about, the point was I'm torn between doing band histories or the current state of punk (an extremely touchy subject)
TGM
Transistor Tubes
238 IQ
I can do the history of Pink Floyd, I was supposed to do it a few months ago but school got in the way, now I'll have some free time though. I have a very rough draft written now, and I'll post it. Can I do the guide to Dark Side of the Moon? Since I've been reasearching the band so much already, it would be prudent to let me do this. I have tons of ideas floating around in my head for this article. (Yes, I'm a huge floyd fan...)

I'd also like to do a guide to proper practice. I have tons of ideas, and I could make it very detailed and helpfull.

EDIT: frigginjerk, wasn't redwing_suck doing a history of Led Zeppelin? What happened to that, I'd really love to see it completed.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Apr 9, 2004,
Gibson808
Lord British
11 IQ
I've found that the only good columns are the ones vetted in this forum, so I always read the final draft of the column in here rather than in the actual columns section. Plus this forum is spared from the idiotic comments that people put in the columns section.
It's only a teenage wasteland
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
^

true dat.

and TGM, I think i'll PM redwing about it, and see if I can't write part 2 myself, because he's gotten way to busy to write for UG these days. i'll investigate.
MrLucky77713
108 IQ
Either myself or someone else should do a column on why music needs labels and genres. Too many people just want to say *well labels suck, you're all losers for using labels* They're completely necessary and not just in music, there's labels for everything down to letters in the alphabet (vowels vs consonants).
Live fast, die young.