Ok guys, thank you all for your help in my previous posts. To those of you who don't know, I was asking around about good, versatile, high gain amps. Although I really appreciate your help, I decided it's worth waiting to buy a good amp I'll be happy with for a long time. So... I'm gonna save some more money and get a good amp instead of looking for obscure amps that may not even do what I want them to. Right now I'm looking at used Mesas and the Carvin V3. I searched but didn't find a comparison or anything. How do they compare in terms of versatility and sound quality (cleans and very heavy gain)? By Mesas I mostly mean the roadster, the mark III, and the dc. As always, additional suggestions are always welcome. I know they're a lot of amps, but if someone can describe me how they sound and stuff, that would be awesome. Thank you again UG!
The mesa's will sound ultimately better than the Carvin and are equal to each other in versatility. Unless you really can afford the mesa though, the Carvin will be definitely suitable.

As always, play the amps before you commit to buying them.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Can I recommend an MG? Any of the higher wattage models should do you well. MG = /tone chase.

Nah seriously, go for the Mesa's.
Great amps when dialed right! And VERY versatile.

Have fun!

Moe.
Signatures are overrated.
Awesome... Yea mesas sound great for what I'm looking for. Anyone have an idea about what would suit me better? I'd like it to be able to do very heavy metal (doom, death, post-metal) but also have good cleans. I'd also like it to have a good bottom end, if that helps. Thanks guys.

P.S. LOL Moe, MG might equal the end of tone chase.... because of bleeding ears...

If you ask me, I'd rather go for a mesa dual recto.
I find the carvin to be fizzy personally.

Both amps will suit you well though, as they are both very versatile.
All in all, it just comes down to what you like best.
Signatures are overrated.
Awesome, thanx! I'm gonna try to go to GC soon and play the amps I find there first, as it seems that my choices now are more about preference than "good amp vs bad amp." Still, if anyone wants to point out anything about a specific amp (like Moe just did, thanx Moe!) please tell me so I pay more attention to it when I'm checking them out, or so I know in case I can't try them out.
Throw in a Laney GH50L, a VH100R, a mesa 50 + caliber, and a Krank Rev Jr. into the considerations... What do you guys think would be better for what I'm looking for? The ones originally mentioned still apply btw. Thanks!
Hahahaha, sure, I can send you some clips after i get it!

It's a joke people, not a real threat! No need to worry for this user's ears or mental health.
I would advise against the Krank, I think they're way overpriced in comparison to sound quality, but that's my opinion.

I think a Mark IV would fit the spot. They have tons of gain to play with, and the cleans aren't half bad either.

When I think of 'doom metal' and 'death metal' I think VHT, Bogner, Diezel, etc. but you're going to lose your cleans with that, hence the Mark IV recommendation.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I am in your exact spot but when it comes down to it preference is the only facture in a recitfier, V3, or mark 4 choice they are all different and to me the mark 4 is more lead and the V3 can get a little fizzy, and the rectifier is great for rythum. But I wouldn't say the mark 4 is bad for rythum just listen to Lamb of God all their music is done with mark 4's and the rythum tone is legendary. It is all preference.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
Throw in a Laney GH50L, a VH100R, a mesa 50 + caliber, and a Krank Rev Jr. into the considerations... What do you guys think would be better for what I'm looking for? The ones originally mentioned still apply btw. Thanks!

The Laneys are great amps, but the Mesas will be superior, they're just higher quality amps. And Laneys aren't generally worth it in the US either (I'm assuming that's where you're from, apologies if you aren't).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yea man, I'm from the US... Puerto Rico actually but I moved here for college, so I'm in the US. The Laney is used though, from ebay, but yea, I'm liking the Mesas and the v3 better. Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry to those who have answered my questions a thousand times already (Timi!).
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
I am in your exact spot but when it comes down to it preference is the only facture in a recitfier, V3, or mark 4 choice they are all different and to me the mark 4 is more lead and the V3 can get a little fizzy, and the rectifier is great for rythum. But I wouldn't say the mark 4 is bad for rythum just listen to Lamb of God all their music is done with mark 4's and the rythum tone is legendary. It is all preference.

yeah, lamb of god's tone comes from mark 4's, and about 20 thousand in rack processing hahaha

there tone is legendary though

+1 mark4
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
no they have only like three rack effects they show a video of there rig on the mesa boogie website and it is not much compared to most guitarists today.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
oh and on the laney they make awsome blues and low gain amps but with something like this go with the mesa or carvin
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
All I can say is that I'm getting a Mesa Mark IV for it's versatility and tone. I would get it without even listening to it (Listen to Lamb of God's recent stuff, and Dream Theater's latest album), but since my mom is paying I'm trying to get to a local dealer to test one.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
oh and on the laney they make awsome blues and low gain amps but with something like this go with the mesa or carvin

Yeah, I find the Laneys I've tried aren't the best for high gain.
I'll second (or fourth or fifth or however many it is now) the complaint about the V3: lots of fizz in the tone. If you like that it'll work great, but otherwise I'd go for a Mesa. I'm currently in the market for a F50 (thanks whichonespink!) or similar combo myself.
Definitely try before you buy, especially the recto-style amps. The low end can be very love-hate with them from what I've heard.
I played every mesa in search of my new amp. The verdict is the Rivera tre is better sounding than the mesa stuff. Cleans are pristine with all the gain you would ever need. I do think the mesa cabs are the ticket tho.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Is it possible to fix that sizzle and perhaps boost the carvin's low end with a specific cab? Sorry, this is the first time i actually buy an amp so theres a couple of things i dont know yet.
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
Is it possible to fix that sizzle and perhaps boost the carvin's low end with a specific cab? Sorry, this is the first time i actually buy an amp so theres a couple of things i dont know yet.

I've heard the new Eminence George Lynch Super V12 speakers are good for taming sizzle. Really strong lows, too. They're stock in the cab for the new Randall George Lynch signature amp and cab, but I haven't played one yet. Anybody know more about that?
EDIT: You can also buy the Lynch speakers separately, so you could just change the speakers in the V3 cab if you wanted to.
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 13, 2008,
consider engl
schecter s-1
nonfunctional flextone II
charvette - project guitar