Hey guys, got a question for everyone. I find that when I play I always have so much trouble hearing the higher pitched notes because they get dround out by the lower notes i'm strumming. It usually only happens with like Open D on the 1st string because it's the lowest i normally play. but it seems like when I have to play that a few times and then something else on say the next string it just seems really dround out like you can't hear it over the ringing lower note. I dunno if this is just the way i'm playing, or if it's amp setups, or what. I've always had this problem, i think it's just more apparent now that I have a good Guitar and Amp.

If you guys think it's an amp thing i have a Vox AD30VT and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by Martindecorum
turn up the trble and down the bass

Ya I've done that but it doesn't seem to really help all that much. I'm not the best at setting up an amp either, but I think it has something to do with my playing style, or that my amp isn't loud enough or something when I play. I'm not sure. Is this a palm muting problem? I mean I shouldn't be palm muting everything, I just usually try and rest my hand on the bridge so it helps keep the notes from ringing too long.
Set your pick-up selector to bridge pick-up, may help.
also for future reference its "drowned" not "dround"
not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you from the grammer nazi's.
hmmm, try this for example then

Turn ur tone on guitar up to 10, and selector switch face down, then turn treb 10, mid, 5, bass, 3

see if taht sounds anything

it shouldnt be ur playing style

Try tilt ur amp back on a 45 degree angle that may lfit the treble levels more as well
Oh I never even thought about it possibly being the angle i'm hearing it from... I do play with my amp not exactly facing me.... I probably wont be tilting it, but I'll have to try turning it up and adjusting the guitar as well to see if i can make a difference. I'm still having a hard time hearing the differences between the two pickups since I just picked up this guitar and never used the EMGs before.

Any tips on pick up selections and knob settings for the guitar that I might need to know about? For instance I was trying to play Trivium - Like Light to Flies intro the other day and it just sounded drowned out. (and thanks for correcting my grammar I knew that looked wrong and I just couldn't think of how to spell it right)
Quote by Exodus04
but it seems like when I have to play that a few times and then something else on say the next string it just seems really dround out like you can't hear it over the ringing lower note

You need to mute the string after you stop playing it otherwise it's just gonna keep ringing out.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
You need to mute the string after you stop playing it otherwise it's just gonna keep ringing out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on how to do this correctly? Here I'll show you what I am playing and what i want it to sound like. Some guy on youtube did a great cover of this song that i'm learning, so how do i get it to sound how he does? It sounds like his notes are just really nice and short all the time. How do i get it to sound like that through an amp?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xXNj9bTKKMY&feature=related
Keeping the notes short is purely your puting technique, be it palm or fretting hand muting.

As for the lower strings drowing out the higher strings, try raising the treble side of the picksups slightly, or lower the bass side. Should boost the output of the treble strings.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Anyone know of any good muting guide videos out there? I really need to get this down.
Last edited by Exodus04 at May 13, 2008,