I emailed Dougstubes.com the other day about what they recommend my response through email was

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7.
Penta Labs and JJ ECC83s in the other 2 12XA7 spots.
A JAN Philips 12AT7WC

my amp is a randall rg50tc, it came stock with 2 Sovtek EL34 power tubes and 3 Sovtek 12ax7's in the pre amp and 1 electro harmonix 12at7.

Has anyone had any experiences with this particular combination of pre amp tubes that was recommended to me ?
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Sounds like Doug's standard recommendations.

Personally, I hate the Tung Sol 12AX7....to my ears it has a very artificial high end that I can't stand. Others love it, so you may aswell, but I'm not a fan at all.

I'm really getting sick of "guitarists" that do this sillyness. And I'm not a super fan of these tubes, but how does it sound "artificial" in the high end exactly? Did Tung Sol put a tiny PCB in each of their tubes to create "artificial" high end because they thought it would be a great idea? Do the lows feel "real" if the highs sound fake?
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
^Because your post is much better.

I gave him my opinion...I don't like the Tung Sol....felt it made both my Mesa Boogies, a Dual Rectifier, and Mark IV, sound worse than with the stock Mesa tubes. I didn't make any obserd statement of it ruining pure tube signal or anything like that....I simply said the tube had an unpleasant high end to my ears.

Now, what did you contribute to the threadstarter?

It's posts like yours that waste UG's bandwidth
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
^Because your post is much better.

I gave him my opinion...I don't like the Tung Sol....felt it made both my Mesa Boogies, a Dual Rectifier, and Mark IV, sound worse than with the stock Mesa tubes. I didn't make any obserd statement of it ruining pure tube signal or anything like that....I simply said the tube had an unpleasant high end to my ears.

Now, what did you contribute to the threadstarter?

It's posts like yours that waste UG's bandwidth

That would be all fine and well, but you didn't just say "that tube has unpleasant high end to my ears". You made a claim they were "Artificial" sounding. Back pedal much? If this post is what you *meant* to say, then great!
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
lol didnt mean to start a flame war, but yeah Im basically looking for something similiar to a peavey 5150 voicing (yeah I know people are gonna say then you should have bought a 5150).

In terms of actual tone I would like have a more a defined pissed off type of type of sound in gain.
Quote by ParryPerson
That would be all fine and well, but you didn't just say "that tube has unpleasant high end to my ears". You made a claim they were "Artificial" sounding. Back pedal much? If this post is what you *meant* to say, then great!

it is near impossible to describe guitar tone in words, especially on the internet. IMO 'artificial' is quite a descriptive word, it gives much more of an explaination of the problem than merely 'unpleasent'....k?

TS: im no expert with tubes, but i think doug is pretty respected....and i felt a need to get that^ out there

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

it is near impossible to describe guitar tone in words, especially on the internet. IMO 'artificial' is quite a descriptive word, it gives much more of an explaination of the problem than merely 'unpleasent'....k?

TS: im no expert with tubes, but i think doug is pretty respected....and i felt a need to get that^ out there

lol wow this is awesome my first thread that contains a flame war.
The tung-sol DO sound artificial before they've been burned in properly. TBH, they're pretty bad at first- weird sounding high end and no presence. Some amps just don't like them, too. They should never be used in cathode follower stages. So, yes, I'm not surprised that someone doesn't like them, because things like that happen, especially in a high-gain amp.
the new mullards are great sounding tubes.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I didn't like tungsols in my amp either. I use a combination of JJ and EH preamp tubes. I like the JJ ECC83S in the V1 and V3 spots. In my amp, the V1 is the preamp input tube and the V3 is the preamp output/active eq/FX loop spot. These JJ's are very clear, smooth, quiet and very musical sounding. I like the EH in the V2 spot because that spot is for my gain channels and the EH gives my gain a nasty, raw, and razor like type of gain. Other tubes I've tried there tended to sound weak, and too dull with not enough bite.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION