One of the tabs for Invincble by Muse happens to feature tuning (GDAB) the tab itself is wrong ^_^, but is this actual usable tuning coz it seems ridiculously low and slack to use by my reckoning
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at May 15, 2008,
Quote by bass_monkey
5 string bass (y)

Considering that would involve tuning every string except the B up by two steps... no.
It can be hell to EQ but it's possible. My band has a few songs in drop A (for example the song Redemption on my profile), it can get muddy but if you swot up on the sound engineering you can pull it off without much trouble.
Drop B tuning: see, "deathcore"
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by webbtje
Considering that would involve tuning every string except the B up by two steps... no.

it would be up 1 whole step. 2 halves.
Quote by Aziraphale
(for example the song Redemption on my profile),

My upfront-but-subtle-band-promotion o-meter is reading off the scale.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by CaptainJack666
One of the tabs for Invincble by Muse happens to feature drop B tuning (GDAB) the tab itself is wrong ^_^, but is drop B an actual usable tuning coz it seems ridiculously low and slack to use by my reckoning

So from low to high, you mean BADG? That's not drop B, that's taking the E and putting it at B. Drop B is BF#BE. I know, because that's what my band tunes to.

If you mean from low to high GDAB, that would be tuning to fifths with a second from A to B, which is altogether different.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
i meant GDAB, excuse me
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at May 15, 2008,
Quote by CaptainJack666
i meant GDAB, excuse my crappy theory

So you mean the lowest tuned string is a G and the highest tuned string is a B? That's not even relatively close to being Drop B. I've never heard of that tuning before, are you sure that's the tuning? Post a link to the tab.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
That's BADG tuning. Ok, that makes no sense at all. The E has been dropped 5 half steps, and the rest left in standard.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 14, 2008,
That's BADG tuning. Ok, that makes no sense at all. The E has been dropped 5 steps, and the rest left in standard.

More than likely, the song is played on a 5-string and it is arranged for 4. I hate when they do that - especially 6-string arranged for 4-string.
Quote by fleajr_1412
My upfront-but-subtle-band-promotion o-meter is reading off the scale.

Nah, I was just giving a handy reference to what tunings that low can sound like, as I don't think I know of any specific bands that play that low (I don't listen to nu-metal).
Quote by Aziraphale
Nah, I was just giving a handy reference to what tunings that low can sound like, as I don't think I know of any specific bands that play that low (I don't listen to nu-metal).

Two words: Joe Satriani.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by gm jack
That's BADG tuning. Ok, that makes no sense at all. The E has been dropped 5 steps, and the rest left in standard.

5 Half steps

Someone else that uses that tuning is Justin Chancellor of Tool, I forget specific songs though. He usually plays in drop D, but sometimes he'll go to BADG. It's not as uncommon as you think. And to whoever said it was probably arranged on a 5 string, that would make sense, but it's actually not. That song is written and played on a 4 string.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I've done this. It'sgood for people who want a 5 string but lack the moolah.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Your41Plague12
5 Half steps

Someone else that uses that tuning is Justin Chancellor of Tool, I forget specific songs though. He usually plays in drop D, but sometimes he'll go to BADG. It's not as uncommon as you think. And to whoever said it was probably arranged on a 5 string, that would make sense, but it's actually not. That song is written and played on a 4 string.

Only on "Parabol/Parabola" I believe
Quote by Charlatan_001

Both good songs, thanks for clearing that up

Anyways, TS, BADG is definitely possible but it will feel very awkward due to the slack in one string and the others being normally tight. I'd just get a 5 string set and exclude the E if you plan on staying in this tuning for an extended period of time. The nut might require some filing, but it might not. Overall, due to the lack of practicality, if you have a 5 string, I suggest you use it and neglect the E string.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

I don't know any bands that play in BADG exclusively... BEAD, BF#BE yes, but not BADG.

Also, the fact that it's one step from the bottom string (B) to the next (A) makes the application somewhat redundant. I'd say either go BEAD or BF#BE
Mastodon used AGCF on their first album - it's actually a very useful tuning once you get used to it. You need the right strings, obviously. That kind of tuning is used mostly because powerchords on the bottom string become octaves.
The mighty 'knot use it
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Quote by damm_punks
The mighty 'knot use it

If you're referring to Slipknot, you phail. They use drop B, which is BF#BE.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

i was talking about drop b
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Quote by Charlatan_001

Prison Sex is in BADG, Parabol/Parabola is BEDG (or ther other way round, can't remember)

And BADG IS drop B tuning- any tuning where the E string is dropped is a drop tuning. CADG is drop C. CGCF should technically be drop C down a step.

Quote by Your41Plague12
If you're referring to Slipknot, you phail. They use drop B, which is BF#BE.

But doesn't Paul Grey tune to BEAD?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Prison Sex is in BADG, Parabol/Parabola is BEDG (or ther other way round, can't remember)

Yup, Parabol/a is BEDG.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
heheh, stupid question i know, but can you downtune a statocaster using 10-gauge strings? i just upgraded and want to mess around with my old guitar, probably in drop C :P
Quote by Aziraphale
It can be hell to EQ but it's possible. My band has a few songs in drop A (for example the song Redemption on my profile), it can get muddy but if you swot up on the sound engineering you can pull it off without much trouble.

drop A sounds insanely low....
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I was playing in 5th tuning today

Thats B, F sharp, C sharp, G sharp.

It's pretty cool
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta