I've kept narrowing down my choices, and I think I'm going to get a Peavey Classic 30 if I can afford it. If not, which would be better for classic rock, blues, and the like? The Blues Junior or the Pro Junior? I'm having a bit o' trouble deciding. If anyone else has suggestions alternative to what I have put down, please reveal them. Thanks.
If you can afford a Classic 30, you can afford a BJ. If you can't afford either, the Pro Junior is the obvious choice. All three are neat little amps, you'd really have to play them to make a choice.
How does a Peavey VK 112 stack up against say... the Blues Junior, in terms of everything. I've tried the VK but not the BJ, and I hear the VK is versatile, and that it can do alot of things well?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you can afford a Classic 30, you can afford a BJ. If you can't afford either, the Pro Junior is the obvious choice. All three are neat little amps, you'd really have to play them to make a choice.

We're not talking about using amp fund's to pay for Hookers here.

If you can get the classic, get it, if not get the Blues, if that's too much power, get the the Pro.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
We're not talking about using amp fund's to pay for Hookers here.

If you can get the classic, get it, if not get the Blues, if that's too much power, get the the Pro.

My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
blue jr and pro jr have completely different sounds than the C30.

also classic rock and blues are pretty different too. i would take the C30 for more rock and if you are going to be playing mostly cleans get one of the fenders. it sounds like common sense because it is. C30 would be more versatile though.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
How does a Peavey VK 112 stack up against say... the Blues Junior, in terms of everything. I've tried the VK but not the BJ, and I hear the VK is versatile, and that it can do alot of things well?

The Valveking can do a lot of things decently. Blues Jr does one or two really well.

I think the BJ is just a better amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Well since I haven't developed a liking for one specific tone, would getting a VK be a good idea? It's the jack of all trades, apparently; I could always upgrade later once I've decided on what I want the majority of my sound to be.
I was surprised how well the VK 112 sounded myself when I tried it. It is a good budget metal amp. The Blues Jr is a good clean or classic rock amp. The Classic 30 if probably the most versatile of the three but I didn't like the clean tones as much as the Blues Jr. It is a matter of preference. I use a decent OD pedal in front of a fender and get as much classic rock tones as I want. If you know which way you will be going with your tone it would help you a lot with this choice.
The only ways to get distortion from a Pro Junior are pedals, or cranking it. It's a pretty nice sounding amp, but it's versatility is about 0, so I would keep saving if the Pro Junior was all i could afford now, especially since cranking it is rarely an option for me (it's my practice amp and I live in a college dorm.. oops).

As far as the VK goes, the cleans aren't as nice as either the Classic 30 or the Blues Jr, and out of those amps, I would go for the C30. That was the first tube amp I've ever played, and I highly recommend it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Quote by the.spine.surfs

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to sig this...

Oh, and C30 ftw. In this case, at least.
I'd go with the Classic 30 over the AC15.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
classic 30 all the way. ive played it multiple times and i love it.
and look for it used. ive seen them alot of times used for like 300-400$
check craigslist etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I just checked craigslist in my area and they had a Classic 30 go for $200...it was sold in under an hour by local pick up!!!! Too bad I missed it...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Stay on the used sites, Classic 30 and 50's are there all the time. Just. be. patient. You will get a great deal if you play it right. Good luck.
I hate to say it TS...but you are kinda all over the board here. i know you have been rsearching and starting good threads but a Fender Blues Jr, is not a Valveking, is not a Classic 30, is not a Vox, whatever.

don't get me wrong either as most all of these were in my short list.

it's voicing, $, availability, what can you try first....which one do you like?

i seriously love the cleans of the fenders but it is hard to push them past that. the valveking will not do fender voice but can come close. the valveking can do some vox too if pushed right.

i'm not trying to steer you one way or another and i know you've seem my posts on this -granted i'm very new to the tube world - but the valveking seems to serve alot of purposes for $400 US.

that said, if i had to give up my valveking right now i would probably get the Blues Jr or the Classic 30.

imo.......hope that gives some levity.

;
^The VK sounds muddy to me when you try to play metal type music and it doesn't excell in any one category. Where as the Classic 30 has excellent cleans that are just as good as fender IMO. Most of the reviews that I read say that the VK can't get good sounds unless you change out the speaker and tubes...and after that they still say it's tone isn't great for anything over classic rock. So I mine as well get an amp that has excellent cleans and an excellent classic rock sound than an amp that's just mediocre in all categories. With an OD pedal I heard the Classic 30 can pull off some pretty heavy stuff also.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
+1
The Classic 30/50 cleans are on a par with Fender.. IMO better than, say, the Hot Rod. The distortion is much better than Fender as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
This is how I'd categorise the amps in this thread:

Blues Jr: Does Blues, Roots Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz. Channel Strength: Cleans
Classic 30/50: Does Blues, Roots Rock, Classic Rock, Mod Rock. Channel Strength: Crunch
Valveking: Does Mod Rock, Roots Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz. Channel Strength: Does non of them spot on, but with a speaker swap [V30] you'll get good Mod/Roots Rock tone and an above average/good Metal tone.

Personally, having played those amps, that's what I think. I disagree with the people who are saying the C30 can do metal (even with a boost/standalone) purely because it is voiced towards the vintage end of the musical spectrum. I don't think any amount of processing/boosting would change that.
I'm really intrigued by the Classic 30. Even more so because I have tried it, but not the others. Perhaps I can find a used one. I don't want to have to pay by month again.
In my opinion, the Blues Jr. has better cleans, but the Classic 30 has better OD. That's what i would narrow my options to, if i were you. Both will do blues and classic rock well. At this point, you need to try them both and figure out which you like.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by thriller4life
Most of the reviews that I read say that the VK can't get good sounds unless you change out the speaker and tubes...and after that they still say it's tone isn't great for anything over classic rock.

Personally, when I swapped my speaker out it went from being able to do classic rock to more modern styles..
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Personally, when I swapped my speaker out it went from being able to do classic rock to more modern styles..

Ya but if I'm going to get an amp only to plan on ugrading then why not just spend more and get a better amp figuring in all the money you'd be spending on upgrading.

I've read reviews where people 'say' to have gotten a metal tone out of a blues jr. with the right pedals...and any amp can do metal it just depends on whose playing...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955