How do I get a higher resolution for my monitor? Right now the highest I can go is 1280 x 1024 but last night I did something and it had a gazillion different settings, ranging up to like 2560 x something. It was the same with a game I have, I was fiddling around with the graphics last night to get the best settings and I had it way up to like 1500 x 1300 or something. I restarted though to reset the DPI on my desktop and everything was back to lower settings. So how do I get the higher resolutions to stay?
We're only strays.
You can't. Those options will only work on bigger more powerful monitors.

It's just not possible. Your monitor has a maximum resolution.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Let me guess? Catalyst Control Center?

EDIT:
Surprisingly, it is possible. Around a year ago, I managed to make a 15" CRT run at a resolution of 1280 x 1024, which is a step up from its (quoted) maximum of 1024x768.

The CCC is your buddy here.

-Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by Rankles
You can't. Those options will only work on bigger more powerful monitors.

It's just not possible. Your monitor has a maximum resolution.

True if he has an LCD, but most CRTs can go up to insane resolutions before they limit you can they not? He describes it like the max resolution is due to a graphics driver or something.

TL;DR- Do you have a flat screen monitor, OP?
Well you could technically force them (which is what you probably accidentally did with the game) but it's not a good idea and could be harmful to your monitor. Just buy a new one. And make sure if you get a to CRT get one with a refresh rate above 60Hz if you don't want massive eyestrain after an hour or so of use. Why do you want such high resolutions anyways?
Well with CCC like I said I can get up to 2560 x 1600. Its when I do desktop right click > properties > settings and then click on the second display option. I guess its for when you use two monitors? Anyways, if I could get it to stay I could get really high resolution.

And to Inahrima, I want the higher resolution just for it to look nicer. 1280 x 1024 is my current resolution and it looks real smooth but I want MOAR! And to whoever asked about it, no I do not have a flat screen, its an older glass rounded monitor.
We're only strays.