Being new to playing and owning a yamaha pacifica i`m confused by the term being thrown around"bad guitar" i plan on getting a sg next whether its an eiphone , westfield or some other copy wondered what to look out for please be specific
Can be things that can be rectified easily, e.g. poor set-up.

Can be things that will need more work to fix, like a poorly cut nut, rubbish tuners, trouble with bridge, bad trem, , truss rod needs adjusting, broken or bad input jack.
anything and everything......cheap wood, to much lacquer, bad pickups - sterile cleans or harsh distorted sound, bad quality fretboard wood, neck too thin or thick top heavy at the headstock,bad action, loose tremolo, bad tuning stability, frets too big or small, too much to mention..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Type of Metal in the Harware, Ratio & Strength of the Tuners, the Cut in the Nut or the metal used on the lock-nut, the wood used on it.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
ok , helps so far but not knowing what a bad pick up etc looks like i won`t know any different oh well just have to go on gut feeling
Well tell us what model of the Epiphone guitar is going to be?

Don't get a Westfield, they're cheap, but not good enough to warrant the price really.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Things that make a guitar bad:

-The shape of the guitar
-The frets
-The strings
-The pick ups

Things that make a guitar good:
-a comfortable shape
-strings that are loose
-ibanez or jackson pick ups (for metal, atleast)
-smooth frets
Quote by ReclaimMyReign
Things that make a guitar bad:

-The shape of the guitar
-The frets
-The strings
-The pick ups

Things that make a guitar good:
-a comfortable shape
-strings that are loose
-ibanez or jackson pick ups (for metal, atleast)
-smooth frets

Contradiction on the first one.
Smooth frets? Some people prefer tri-point fret's, where it's a pyramid shape.
Loose strings?
Try playing some .12 or .13's on a guitar, they aren't loose and still sound great.
Pick-up's made by Jackson & Ibanez aren't at all great for anything nevermind metal.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
There's a video about good/bad metal guitars on youtube.
here's the link:Good and Bad Heavy Metal Guitars
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Can be things that can be rectified easily, e.g. poor set-up.

Can be things that will need more work to fix, like a poorly cut nut, rubbish tuners, trouble with bridge, bad trem, , truss rod needs adjusting, broken or bad input jack.

Why the hell would a poor setup incl. a badly set truss rod mean that a guitar is crappy?

That would just mean the owner is too crappy (or ignorant, dumb, whatever... take your pick) to get the most out of his equipment.
possibly an epi sg 400, the westfield sg i have seen is £125.00 , the trouble is not knowing what to do for the best; it isn`t always a case with many things of the more you pay the better it is ,some time s your paying for the name
Last edited by ruffdog64 at May 13, 2008,
Quote by bemymonkey
Why the hell would a poor setup incl. a badly set truss rod mean that a guitar is crappy?

That would just mean the owner is too crappy (or ignorant, dumb, whatever... take your pick) to get the most out of his equipment.

Did you actualy read the post properly? He said that there are things which you can easily fix like a bad set up and then things that can't like the truss rod.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
what can make a bad guitar? no neck? lol
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Just the feel of it. A bad guitar wouldn't feel comfortable to play, for any number of reasons.
- Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty w/EMG 81 & EMG 85
- Ibanez S470 "Baby Blue"
- Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah Pedal
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- POD 2.0
- Vox AD30VT
Quote by AirGuitarist87
Just the feel of it. A bad guitar wouldn't feel comfortable to play, for any number of reasons.

the problem with this is i`ve only been playing a few weeks and have a yamaha pacifica so really don`t have much to compare it with
Quote by Simonwalker
Did you actualy read the post properly? He said that there are things which you can easily fix like a bad set up and then things that can't like the truss rod.

And I disagree - adjusting the truss rod is PART of any good setup procedure. Ever taken your guitar to a guitar tech that DOESN'T adjust the truss rod if it's needed?

Not to mention the fact that adjustments on the guitar shouldn't be considered "features". If you buy a guitar that plays awesome after a setup, it's an awesome guitar, no matter how bad it was out of the factory.

If you can't be bothered to learn how to set up your guitars properly (INCLUDING truss rod adjustments!), you deserve to be paying $500-$1000 more to get a decent instrument. As for me, I can't see myself ever buying a guitar more expensive than $1000 (or maybe 1000 Euros...).
Quote by CedricL
The pacifica is a real decent axe =D.

^yeah. its about even with MIM Strats.

as for good and bad guitars: do the frets cut you? do you get electricuted when you plug in? if not youre ok, youre just starting out.

you dont wanna marry the first girl your ever with. you'll go through several bad axes.

all that matters in the end is does it feel good in your hands, can you reach the frets and do you like the tone. (its much harder to find that then you think)

Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Last edited by plucky duck at May 14, 2008,
Quote by plucky duck

as for good and bad guitars: do the frets cut you? do you get electicuted when you plug in? if not youre ok, youre just starting out.

Exactly - THOSE are the things that make a guitar bad.

OK, bad-sound and unfixable playability also... :P
What makes a bad guitar?

Well, if it comes from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, or anywhere like that, it's obviously a bad guitar. If it is made out of "space age plastic!" it's probably a bad guitar. If the actuall wood isn't listed under the specs and it just says "hardwood" or "tonewood" it's probably a bad guitar. If it says "Gibson" on the headstock yet you paid $500ish for it new, it's probably a bad guitar. If it feels like it's about to fall apart in your hands, it's a bad guitar. If it sounds like a bee in a jar through a decent amp, it's a bad guitar. If it's a bad guitar, it's a bad guitar.

Just minor things like this.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
More importantly, why the hell would you want to 'upgrade' from a Yamaha Pacifica to a Westfield SG knockoff?

Your guitar now is about the best one you can get without spending £220+, don't waste your money on a piece of crap just because you like the SG shape. Get saving, and get yourself an Epiphone Standard, at very least.

As for the 'bad guitar' question, you'll discover that yourself in due course. Suffice to say that price isn't always an indicator of quality with guitar gear. This particularly applies to well-known brands - Gibson, Marshall and Mesa Boogie are probably the three worst companies in the UK for price mark-ups. A guitar is worth whatever you think it's worth, really.
once you go with the sg then you will know what makes a good guitar, specially after playing the pacifica, it will be a big big difference
The shop selling westfield sg`s did say to come in and try it but to be honest with my limit playing ability i doubt i`d know the difference, but who knows maybe i will