I'm thinking of buying boss cs-3 compression sustainer. I was hoping to get some ideas on whether it's good or are there any good sustainer alternatives.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
mxr dynacomp is good. I think the holy stain or whatever it's called is pretty good too. Best to just go and try.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i enjoy the Soul Preacher by EHX...not too expensive if you go used and gets the job very well done
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
The Boss CS-3 is ok. Nothing special. I personally only like to use a little compression so it does me fine, but I'd never have paid more than the £15 I did for it.
my favorite compressor is the guyatone flip TC-X. They stopped making it a few years back because it was pretty noisy but if you can find it it the tone is amazing and is well worth the hum. For new compressors I really like the ones made by www.cmatmods.com The sigma comp is good for people that want transparent tone and no background noise. The Ross clone is good for people that want more squish. I've had 10 or 11 different compressors over the last couple years and the CMATMODS compressors were some of the best sounding and by far the best value for the money.

As a side note, I've got a boss cs-3 that I don't like and would be willing to sell. I got it and though it sucked so I sent it off to get the caps and a couple resistors upgraided (at cmatmods) but when I got it back I still didn't think it sounded all that good. I've used it for a grand total of 10 min and would be willing to sell it for the price of a not upgraded CS-3.
Not taking any online orders.
Retro-Sonic > Keeley > most everything else

If you're on a (comparatively) tight budget, the Soul Preacher works well, but can be noisier than some people will like.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Go for a Dyna Comp. I've owned a CS-3 and the Dyna Comp, and I like the Dyna much more. If you want a good, more transparent comp then I suggest grabbing a Boss CS-2 off of Ebay. Much better than the CS-3.
Hey, I'm Mike.
check out the Aphex Punch Factory, its an optical compressor, and only has 2 knobs but sounds much better than other ones.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Sustainer...?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar