I've been looking around a long time for some good humbuckers that fits a classic rock fan.(hence my name) been looking at some seymour duncans but i can't decide,too many decisions!I'm looking for a set that i can work around to give me a led zeppelin sound, a boston sound (without the super distortion pups), a AC/DC sound and a Cream sound.Hopefully I'll be getting a line 6 spider III 15W for my b'day, so if I do get it, that should give me some versatility.Pls help me decide, thanks!
If you want classic rock tones you need an amp that does classic rock. Pups only fine tune the tone. I would not get the spider. It's a terrible amp for the money, even the 15w. You'd be much better off with a cube or a vox valvetronix.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Angus Young uses a JTM45.

Regarding pickups any decent PAF style humbucker should work wonderfully.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/heritage_humbuckers.htm

Made by a user here (CordueroyEW or something like that, i forget how to spell it)
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^CorduroyEW.

You want a tube amp first, any PAF would work for AC/DC.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
You don't need pickups yet, or when you get your new amp for that matter, simple as. DOn;t worry about them for a long while yet, there's far more important things you could be spending your money on.

And don't get the Spider, it blows...get a 15 watt Vox Valvetronix if you want a modelling amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's been said, but i'll reiterate just for emphasis. Don't worry about pickups until you have a tube amp, and i don't suggest getting the spider. If you must have a modeling amp, look Vox. For classic rock, though, you can get some nice, inexpensive amps. For instance, you could get a 5 watt tube combo like a Epiphone Valve Jr. or if you could save your money and stretch your budget to around $300, you could probably find a used Peavey Classic 30.

EDIT:^Roland Cubes are good modeling amps, but to me, the Vox is better suited for vintage tones.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
what's ur budget bro? i definitely say you should get an Epiphone valve junior or if you can spend $270 get the blackheart 5 watt combo. keep in mind these amps will be a lil louder than 15 watts solidsate. ALSO, when you crank these bad boys, they sound AWESOME. if you crank a SS amp it will sound buzzy and NASTY i promise.

pups are for fine tuning that's for sure. the difference in you getting a nice tube amp is like night and day. difference in getting new pups is like afternoon and evening.

but tell us ur budget!! a valve junior/blackheart w/ an overdrive pedal will be the best thing for you.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
the cube definitely wont sound bad but the Vox valvetronix is much better at classic/hard rock tones.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
well first of all i'm asking for a new amp for my birthday, so it's not really my budget it's more like my parents budget.But id say the budget is 100$.And if i need to pay more than that to get vintage tones, forget about it, i can get alot of versitility from my strat copy.So just just help me find a good 15W amp for 100$ or under.
Last edited by ClassicRckFan22 at May 14, 2008,
You want a tube amp anyway, not a modelling amp.

That's a pretty cheapskate budget for a good amp, come back with around $4-500.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ClassicRckFan22
I've been looking around a long time for some good humbuckers that fits a classic rock fan.(hence my name) been looking at some seymour duncans but i can't decide,too many decisions!I'm looking for a set that i can work around to give me a led zeppelin sound, a boston sound (without the super distortion pups), a AC/DC sound and a Cream sound.Hopefully I'll be getting a line 6 spider III 15W for my b'day, so if I do get it, that should give me some versatility.Pls help me decide, thanks!

Get a Crate V-18, and pair it up with a nice humbucker equipped guitar, like an Epiphone G-400. Job done.

Stay away from Line 6 Spiders, they are terrible.
Quote by ClassicRckFan22
well first of all i'm asking for a new amp for my birthday, so it's not really my budget it's more like my parents budget.But id say the budget is 100$.And if i need to pay more than that to get vintage tones, forget about it, i can get alot of versitility from my strat copy.So just just help me find a good 15W amp for 100$ or under.

When I used to be in a situation like that, i'd just ask my parents for the money they were gonna spend on it, then put that towards the amp, and save up.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...