Okay, so it occured to me that alot of artists that don't have effects loops on there amps and use amp distortion.. not clean channel.. use stompbox pedals for delay and reverb and such but whenever I do the dry note and the delayed note mix together and distort and it doens't sound good so I can never use delay and crap..

how is this done?

one thing occured to me when I was researching Santanas tone.. as I have another thread on here about it.. he uses a T-Rex Replica Delay-Echo pedal.. it's like 400 bux but his Mesa he has doesn't have an effects loop and he would never use stompbox distortion..

so like I said.. how is this done?
How is it done?

Amp ---> Pedal ---> Guitar.

The T-Rex, I assume for that price, does not make the repeated not sound crap.

Also. Your problem, could be possibly due to the way you line up your pedals? Put the delay BEFORE the distortion. Is what I generally do.
Dude, when you use amp distortion you don't have a distortion pedal so no matter what you do the delay comes first.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Dude, when you use amp distortion you don't have a distortion pedal so no matter what you do the delay comes first.

No. Most people including me like to have their delay after their distortion, so it's no different whether you use the amp's distortion or not. If you were to put the delay before the amp, you would be distorting your clean delayed sound rather than delaying your distorted sound, which is not the desired effect.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by TechnicolorType
Okay, so it occured to me that alot of artists that don't have effects loops on there amps and use amp distortion.. not clean channel.. use stompbox pedals for delay and reverb and such but whenever I do the dry note and the delayed note mix together and distort and it doens't sound good so I can never use delay and crap..

how is this done?

one thing occured to me when I was researching Santanas tone.. as I have another thread on here about it.. he uses a T-Rex Replica Delay-Echo pedal.. it's like 400 bux but his Mesa he has doesn't have an effects loop and he would never use stompbox distortion..

so like I said.. how is this done?

He may well have the delay added by a sound tech on the desk rather than do it himself.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Sonicxlover
No. Most people including me like to have their delay after their distortion, so it's no different whether you use the amp's distortion or not. If you were to put the delay before the amp, you would be distorting your clean delayed sound rather than delaying your distorted sound, which is not the desired effect.

yeah, because then both signals distort so when you bend and crap it'll sound terrible.
Quote by timi_hendrix
He may well have the delay added by a sound tech on the desk rather than do it himself.
Always the most effective and convincing sounding technique. It also allows for panning on the the mix. For instance the dry signal panned 2/3 or 3/4 to the left and the delayed signal panned a like amount to the right. It sounds huge that way. I've also done this for guitarists in live situations when mic'ing or DI'ing their amps through the mains. I've never had a single complaint, only compliments.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Always the most effective and convincing sounding technique. It also allows for panning on the the mix. For instance the dry signal panned 2/3 or 3/4 to the left and the delayed signal panned a like amount to the right. It sounds huge that way. I've also done this for guitarists in live situations when mic'ing or DI'ing their amps through the mains. I've never had a single complaint, only compliments.

Mm, I'll have to remember that.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by TechnicolorType
what difference does it make.. it's like this on every amp I've ever played :X

but a classic 50

The Classic 50 has an FX loop.....
other than that, I don't understand your question.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
adding it in the PA mix if you mike your cab(or on the board when recording, and in post production), or run a distortion pedal before the delay and run clean channel on amp, or an run it through the effects loop, that is all the choices you really got. if you aren't doing one of these chances are it is will sound bad.
Exactly.. which is what stumbled me..

Carlos Santana uses a T-Rex Delay pedal and depending on his rig at the moment.. he has run it through a Mesa Mark I which doesn't have an effects loop and he uses the amps distortion so I don't see how he has it sound fine..
so most likely carlos plays it through the PA mix, like he will play through an amplifier and cabinets, mike the cab, and when it is on it's way to the PA he runs his delay through an effects out on the board, this then goes to the PA with delayed signal; this is actually a very good way of doing it.
that was the way it was done back in the day, it some ways it worked/sounded better, but now-a-days we have fancy software recording packages that have tons of plug ins for post effects when you record, so it is kinda lost art. but going live without an effects loop is no big deal if you know what yer doing, there was a time before effects loops and musicians still thrived without, now they are just a modern convenience.
yeahh, ty :P:P

the only thing is some effects loops make the overall amp tone sound different.. even with this expensive 4,000 dollar half-stack in the room across me..
isn't like when a pedal has a crappy bypass, it like messes with the tubes in a way.. but whateverrr thanks =P