I've been playing WITHOUT anchoring for about a month now and it seems that I can play better when I do anchor my arm to the guitar.

A. I can RELAX better. Holding my arm away from the guitar seems to make me tense up.

B. I can get really shaky when I get into really having fun. Of course, that is after I've focused on technique for about 30 min.

SO! Is anchoring really going to be that bad?
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

I tried anchoring for a pretty long time (6 months- a year, cant remember exactly), but I found that it wasnt for me.

Thats not to say anchoring is good, I understand why its considered bad, and I accept that its crippling my playing, but I've started to care less about my technique now, I never really play that fast anyway.
Quote by guitarist10
I've been playing WITHOUT anchoring for about a month now and it seems that I can play better when I do anchor my arm to the guitar.

A. I can RELAX better. Holding my arm away from the guitar seems to make me tense up.

B. I can get really shaky when I get into really having fun. Of course, that is after I've focused on technique for about 30 min.

SO! Is anchoring really going to be that bad?

describe how you "anchor" your arm on the guitar.
i've been doing that on my les paul lately,and when i do it i always pick at the end of the strings,so i started playing without doing that and now i pick in the center and it does'nt have that weird twangy sound anymore.point being,i think you should practice not anchoring as much,except maybe when your sitting down.unless you pick in the right spot unlike me.either way i guess it all depends on the person playing.
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
Quote by GuitarMunky
describe how you "anchor" your arm on the guitar.

+1. It's very possible, maybe even likely, that you're not actually anchoring.
When I say I'm "anchoring" my arm to the guitar I mean that I'm resting it on the guitar, much of the time, moving it very little.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

^ thats probably fine as long as your arm can move freely as needed.

when we use the term "anchoring" more often than not we're referring to someone who has to plant a finger or 2 firmly down by the pickguard and hold them there to have stability when playing. anchoring your arm works in somewhat the same fashion. if your arm is free to move around as needed and it doesn't affect how you sound when you do move it around (ie make it sound worse) then theres really no problem as long as you're playing without tension and cleanly.

obviously your arm will come in contact with the guitar while playing. thats inevitable. its when you HAVE to hold it to one specific spot to be able to play, you'll usually press hard and that will create tension and limit movement and economy of motion.