Page 1 of 4
Ok, ive never really modded a guitar before besides paint and different pickups.. but im lookin to build a guitar for the first time, and its going to be very very similar to the ibanez iceman..

Heres what i got for a parts list so far, id like to be informed of anything and everything im missing as to not screw it up..

Mahogany body
Jackson styled neck (warmoth)
2 seymour duncan blackouts (or invaders)
2 volume 2 tone
3 way switch
Tuners.. by kahler i believe? not sure,
Tailpiece and the other thing on les pauls.. forgot what theyre called
Input jack,
Straplocks or whatever,

Comes out NEAR 505 last time i checked.. excluding white and red paint, and the eurathane or poly eurathane clear coat.. i still have to check which it is

Sorry if i dont remember any of the names i breifly looked over at my parts..

Im cutting the wood and routing it for the khaler myself, neck will be premade as i dont want to mess that up..
(paint job is ganna be white with a bloodsplatter effect.. airbrushing all of it)

I currently have just about no spare cash, so im buying parts as i can, and am getting pickups this weekend..

Any tips or ideas? and also.. inform me of what im missing for that parts list..
Last edited by Xinspaly at May 22, 2008,
If you have the money go warmoth. But I seriously recommend shopping locally.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I havent really had the chance to look locally, the only things off of warmoth im gettin are the neck and body.. would it be a significant saving if i were to find the mahogany board and neck localy?

Im looking at.. 140ish for the body, and 173 for the neck, allaround about 680 for the build itself
are you buying a piece of mahogany? or a body already cut?

140ish for a piece of mahogany is straight retarded, go to al umber yard, you can get a piece big enough to build 6 bodies for that price.
Oh really? Thanks for the info man.. now i definently will have enough for that floyd rose i want.. time to search around i guess.. besides my horrid mistake in shop selecting for the wood.. any other ideas what could make it better? Id show what id want it to look like, but i dont wanna do it in paint, and dont know of that program to do it in.. any ideas anyone?
yeah, stewmac/warmoth/ebay dudes have all of these "luthiers" by their dick-sacks when it comes to lumber. slap "luthier billet" on any piece of wood and list it, it will sell for 8 times its worth. i just sold a neck blank, 2 piece laminate on ebay for 65 dollars... the 12 foot long 8/4 lumber i bought for the blanks cost me 100 dollars. i always do that just to make up for the cost, i can still get 10-15 necks out of it, if i cut it the way i want it.
oh wow.. good call man.. i just looked up some lumber shops or whatever.. dunno if they have what i need yet, but definently ganna check em out when i get my pickups..

For about 90 dollars a pickup can anyone mention a pickup combo better than what i mentioned? seymour duncan invader in the bridge, blackout in the neck? cuz i want this baby to be everything ive drempt it to be 8)
u wont get invader/blackout, u cant mix active pups and passive ones (blackout=active, invader=passive)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
well than solves that.. dual blackouts 8) Thanks for correcting me on that, otherwise i prolly woulda been like.. what the HELL why wont it work.. haha
^i actually find it really annoying that u cant mix-it pisses me off to no end.
in theory, u can have both, but it takes some really creative wiring, and an active preamp for the passive pup, so it will sound just like an active anyway
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
So if i use the 2 blackouts.. it should work.. will i hvae to do any customizing for the HB slots? or can i just route standard HB slots.. (sorry for all my questions, especially my easy ones)
no, the difference comes in the pup itself, standard routes will work
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
again another question.. will i need to route cavities for the batteries? and also.. i havent checked yet.. i assume its one 9v per battery?
yes u will need to make space for a battery, idk if theres one each, ive never used actives...sorry cant help ya there
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
ahh alright.. i believe it is.. but just making sure.. because im also.. if possible lookin to run em with 18v.. and if i do.. is there THAT much of a difference in output?

Hopefully once i find the mahagony for cheap i can buy the body and begin routing and painting soon, its ganna be about the exact same as the ic 400(thank you daron) im also tempted to cough out extra dough for a baritone neck.. in that case will i need any editing of the body to allow the longer neck?
if you have the electronics cavity big enough the batteries could go there.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
So is that a yes? i will need a battery per pickup? Im almost tempted to do a plexi-glass cover on the back of the electronics cavity for ****s and giggles.. itd look pretty nifty if i did some interior work on it.. Also after determining.. i am NOT going to do a floyd rose untill i really know what im doing.. especially if i decide a baritone neck..
you won't need a battery per pickup, both can run on the 9V battery, but iv you want to dfo the 18V mod, apparently it adds more headroom, and allows for... cleaner cleans? it lets you push your amp before it becomes too distorted.

just heard through the thread grapevine..

sounds good otherwise!

------

Shwiggity.
thats what ive heard also.. just wanted to make sure i was right..

also just making sure, if i use a standard body, whatever the dimensions are for a standard iceman.. can that handle the 28 5/8" inch long baritone neck? or does it need to be larger, to the point where id have to use a bass body blank or somethin?
i think an Iceman body would be okay, you might have to route the neck pocket a little bigger/deeper?

not too sure
------

Shwiggity.
thats what i was thinkin.. would it end up removing the neck pickup though? because the baritone necks they have come with 24 frets.. i dont know if they are 3 inches longer because they DONT go over the body like adding 2 more or what.. If anyone knows if it would mess up the body, ill definently stick with 22 fret jackson standard neck
you wouldn't necessarily have to rout the pocket deeper, just move the location of the bridge further towards the butt of the body. whatever you do just make sure you retain the proper scale length
Just to clear up an argument earlier on, you CAN mix active and passive, as long as you keep them separate in the circuit. Have a different volume and tone for each one, and use a two way switch instead of a 3 way, so that it only has one pickup at a time selected. That will help you avoid impedance mismatch, and allow you to use a passive and an active pickup in the same guitar

Also, about the neck pocket, you can always fit the humbuckers as bridge and middle position, like the Stephen Carpenter signatures.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at May 14, 2008,
So if i do use a baritone neck i am going to have to move my pickups around? I think ill just stick with a standard neck.. the guitar itself will sound heavy enough with 2 blackouts..

I just priced the blackouts at a local music store.. 168 for a set.. plus 30% for special ordering it because they dont cary them standard.. therefore.. bout 220? hell no.. guitarcenter will suply them for cheaper.. definetly NOT getting pickups first..

I should be getting the wood this weekend perhaps, and might even begin routing depending if i can get a full size drawing up
go to ebay for your pickups. you can find a used set for cheap. alot of people install actives, realize they dont like them, but cant return them because they have been installed. irrelevant to that, but i got 2 duncan JBs for 80 bucks, out of a brand new guitar, a single coil set of duncans for 110. etc.
Well i plan to do all testing before i buy these pups.. just thats what ive heard on youtube and such in tube amps im also lookin to buy and i like their sound.. but DEFINETELY testing multiple pups before i spend 180 or somethin for a set..
Quote by LP Addict
yeah, stewmac/warmoth/ebay dudes have all of these "luthiers" by their dick-sacks when it comes to lumber. slap "luthier billet" on any piece of wood and list it, it will sell for 8 times its worth. i just sold a neck blank, 2 piece laminate on ebay for 65 dollars... the 12 foot long 8/4 lumber i bought for the blanks cost me 100 dollars. i always do that just to make up for the cost, i can still get 10-15 necks out of it, if i cut it the way i want it.

The thing about that is that you aren't buying completely dried lumber. Lumber from the lumber yard that is kiln dried generally still needs to sit for quite a bit of time until it can be used without it warping. When you buy quality lumber from a well known dealer you are generally getting completely dried wood from what I understand. I buy all my wood from lumber yards, but I let it sit about a year or 6 months before I use any of it.
Quote by Shinozoku
Just to clear up an argument earlier on, you CAN mix active and passive, as long as you keep them separate in the circuit. Have a different volume and tone for each one, and use a two way switch instead of a 3 way, so that it only has one pickup at a time selected. That will help you avoid impedance mismatch, and allow you to use a passive and an active pickup in the same guitar

Also, about the neck pocket, you can always fit the humbuckers as bridge and middle position, like the Stephen Carpenter signatures.

thats what i meant by "creative" wiring
if u look, i did say its possible, but nowhere near "standard" guitar wiring and i imagine u would want to keep it simple for a first build
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
So would i be paying for quality if it bought the body from warmoth and cut it myself? its only 80 bucks, because apparently they dont route an HH setup.. that would still save me about.. 120, so would allow me to buy a fr.. or just get a khaler they seem much easier to install..

Yeah.. Im only 15 so i want to keep it pretty simple for a build.. but i have help from pretty intelligent people to help with routing, wiring, and whatnot.. but i just assume have 2 blackouts.. the wiring looks pretty weird anyway.. especially with 2 9v's..

Also leads me to another question.. There is the black wire that goes from the 9v back to the input jack.. would i just connect the black wire from 1 9v to the other, than to the input jack for 2 9v's?

sorry for all the questions.. i just want this to turn out perfectly.. im suprised im even taking the time to actually plan it out and execute it 8)
lol, im 15 too!

anyway, u are NOT paying for "warmoth quality" a piece of mahogany from warmoth is likely just a more expensive version of the same size chunk u find in a lumber yard. wood is wood, no matter what company
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
But will it be pre- completely dried and what not? I dont want to have to wait X amount of months for a piece of wood from a lumber yard to dry,
it will be dry, but ive never heard of a build that used lumber yard wood that wasnt dry..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Just to let you know, you don't have a bridge/trem on your list so . . . yeah.

Any special plans for that?

Edit: Nevermind, you said you were routing for a FR further down. I didn't read it carefully enough.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at May 14, 2008,
Quote by carousel182
The thing about that is that you aren't buying completely dried lumber. Lumber from the lumber yard that is kiln dried generally still needs to sit for quite a bit of time until it can be used without it warping. When you buy quality lumber from a well known dealer you are generally getting completely dried wood from what I understand. I buy all my wood from lumber yards, but I let it sit about a year or 6 months before I use any of it.

well that tells me if i buy it from a lumberyard it will most likely NOT be completely dried.. and id rather spend the 60 bucks extra or whatever to have it completely dried the moment i get it..

I will have about 190 this week.. so i guess ill be getting my wood, cutting and routing it.. sanding.. and buy the paint and clearcoat.. ive heard people use different things.. is there anything that makes a REALLY good clearcoat? ive herad urethane, polyurethane, and other things..

BTW: Yeah, i was thinking of an original floyd rose.. but i dont know if i want to yet.. im thinking of a khaler due to simplicity of routing and such.. plus theres a nice post a few down from this talking about installing 8)
Quote by Xinspaly
well that tells me if i buy it from a lumberyard it will most likely NOT be completely dried.. and id rather spend the 60 bucks extra or whatever to have it completely dried the moment i get it..

I will have about 190 this week.. so i guess ill be getting my wood, cutting and routing it.. sanding.. and buy the paint and clearcoat.. ive heard people use different things.. is there anything that makes a REALLY good clearcoat? ive herad urethane, polyurethane, and other things..

BTW: Yeah, i was thinking of an original floyd rose.. but i dont know if i want to yet.. im thinking of a khaler due to simplicity of routing and such.. plus theres a nice post a few down from this talking about installing 8)

You can still use lumberyard wood. I just wouldnt recommend it for a neck immediately. For clearcoat Id recommend duplicolor clear. I've gotten my best results from the duplicolor paint (not spraycans, but im sure spraycans would work.) this guitar has duplicolor clear on it

Well im not intending to make my neck.. i am ordering that one.. so if i went to a lumberyard and purchased some decent looking mahogany i could automatically use it for the body?
pretty much, yeah
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
well wow.. that saves me even more money.. now time to find the dimensions for an iceman body and begin sketching what its ganna look like..

Definitely going to look on a khaler than.. so im ganna update my parts list at the beginning 8)
Page 1 of 4