Hello all,

I have reached 2 years of playing guitar recently!

I have a little audio sample here for you all to listen to so you can critique my playing and tone and tell me what I can do better! I'm only improvising as such. The link is below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a0nzkswzn1x < <

If you'd like to hear something else, let me know!

Thanks!
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at May 13, 2008,
I actually buggered up at the end so had to shift keys. Am I about right for 2 years would you say?
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at May 13, 2008,
Good for 2 years, check out my jams in my profile, ive been playing for about 1 and a half years
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
what's up with all those players always asking how good they are...
dude are you having fun playing guitar?? if you answer yes to this question then what's the point of knowing how good you are?
Quote by TarZz
what's up with all those players always asking how good they are...
dude are you having fun playing guitar?? if you answer yes to this question then what's the point of knowing how good you are?

i agree with this point to some extent, but perhaps the fun for some people is the progression and knowing that they are getting closer to becoming the guitarist they want to be... maybe lol.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
yo man pretty good but work on bending to the correct pitch.
play a note and go back on that string 2 frets and try to bend to that note exactly. repeat a lot until you have it. do the same with just 1 fret as well.
Quote by XtAsY2007
I actually buggered up at the end so had to shift keys. Am I about right for 2 years would you say?

Not going to lie, I quit listening 3/4 of the way through.

Now I see why you can improv, you know ure theory. I wish I knew anything about musical writing and theory, but it makes noooo sense to me. I just play the instrument :P

Oh and your a lot cleaner than I was at 2 years, still probably cleaner than I am now. You aren't the best player for 2 years, but you've done a solid job.
Quote by lwayneio
i agree with this point to some extent, but perhaps the fun for some people is the progression and knowing that they are getting closer to becoming the guitarist they want to be... maybe lol.

Exactly. I'm sure he's having fun, but he wants to know how he compares. It's human nature to be competitive or to want to fit in or be the best. Not that it's wrong.
Quote by dustyboy316
Exactly. I'm sure he's having fun, but he wants to know how he compares. It's human nature to be competitive or to want to fit in or be the best. Not that it's wrong.

I enjoy playing that's for sure. I just want to get more original and more unique. And yeh, I like to know how I'm doing in the grand scheme of things. I really want to start geting into some more complex jazz stuff.
Quote by XtAsY2007
I enjoy playing that's for sure. I just want to get more original and more unique. And yeh, I like to know how I'm doing in the grand scheme of things. I really want to start geting into some more complex jazz stuff.

that sounds awesome, i love jazz. Theres a jazz bar near me and there are always some amazing musicians in there, really fun to listen to.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
that sounds awesome, i love jazz. Theres a jazz bar near me and there are always some amazing musicians in there, really fun to listen to.

Thats awesome. I have the luxury of having an amazing Jazz band right in my town too, featuring Guthrie Govan as the giutarist. He lives in my town and he is truly something special.
dude can you gimme the name (or links) of the book(s) or tutorials you used to get all that theory??
Quote by jayeshrc
dude can you gimme the name (or links) of the book(s) or tutorials you used to get all that theory??

There's not that much theory involved to be honest. It's just a matter of getting used to the scales and getting a good feel for them and knowing how the scale shapes join together.
I didn't really read anything about that, it just came with time.

As for the stuff I'm playing, there's a fair amount of legato which I mostly learnt from playing various songs and solos. Then what I do is come up with my own little licks and runs.

However, this website gave me a good foundation on the theory side of things, but nothing to do with the actual playing really.

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/