you know that stuff that loudmouth guy advertizes on tv (the one with the 'oxy-clean' commercials?) ...its this putty stuff you take a slice of and wad it up till it activates? can i jam a little ball of that stuff in where the strap button goes, then screw it in?
my bottom button is loose, and i read the thread that mentioned using toothpicks and wood-glue to fix this, but was wondering if anyone ever tried this stuff? i was given a bunch of it and dont know what else to do with it, and didnt know if i should try...
to be honest, id feel safer having bigger buttons installed than trying either fix, but if this other stuff works....
let me know what you think?
id personally just use the toothpick/matchstick and wood glue method. or a dowel rod and woodglue. i dont really trust anything that guy sells, he seems too excited for it to actually work a combination of a longer screw and one of the methods involving a wood product and wood glue would be my choice. ive done the dowel/glue method and it worked great on my brother's bass.
Quote by jof1029
id personally just use the toothpick/matchstick and wood glue method. or a dowel rod and woodglue
Absolutely! Just jam toothpicks in the hole and break them off flush. Repeat until you can't get anymore in. When you put the screw back in the hole it will hold tight.
Quote by fly135
Absolutely! Just jam toothpicks in the hole and break them off flush. Repeat until you can't get anymore in. When you put the screw back in the hole it will hold tight.

where does the glue come in for this process? ...and wont it just come loose again, eventually? ever since i got the guitar ('04 epi Les Paul Classic), ive had the prob of the screw coming loose (fire away with the jokes ), and i was always careful to not tighten it to much to strip the hole...

and yeah, i dont really trust anything that guy hawks either...hence the question
Quote by primeguy31
where does the glue come in for this process? ...and wont it just come loose again, eventually? ever since i got the guitar ('04 epi Les Paul Classic), ive had the prob of the screw coming loose (fire away with the jokes ), and i was always careful to not tighten it to much to strip the hole...

and yeah, i dont really trust anything that guy hawks either...hence the question

you dip the toothpicks in the glue, then insert them into the hole. i wouldn't even fill the hole to capacity, cuz you'd just have to drill out a starter-hole. you don't want to drive a screw into bare wood, cuz you run the chance of splitting the wood.
its really not complicated at all, just use wood glue like elmers
let the glue dry first, or screw the button in and then let everything dry? stupid question, i know, but i never did it before....
and whats a good amount of space to leave? almost tight? lotsa space with just enough wood for the threads to grab? and finally, is there a need to tap the hole at all first, or just run the screw in?
forgive me, but i'm a welder, not carpenter, lol. plenty of experience dealing with steel, but with wood, not so much. that was my dad's profession...
You don't need wood glue. You want a shunt, that's all. Glue just makes it impossible to screw back out if you need to. If the hole is much too large, you can get woodworking epoxy at any hardware store, fill the hole with that, and re-drill.
Quote by Roc8995
You don't need wood glue. You want a shunt, that's all. Glue just makes it impossible to screw back out if you need to. If the hole is much too large, you can get woodworking epoxy at any hardware store, fill the hole with that, and re-drill.

so just some toothpicks and screw it back in? thats enough to hold it? sounds like that might give me the same prob eventually, as the picks compress and come loose, wouldnt it?
no wonder i like welding better than carpentry, lol
The toothpicks won't compress. All you need is something that's going to make the hole snug so the screw bites into the guitar wood properly. Once they do that, they're not going to come out unless you want them to. You could put a dab of wood glue in if you really want to, but then if you ever want to take the screw out you run the risk of either not being able to get it out or messing up the paint around it because the wood could crack a little. All of my guitars have had this done to one or both of the strap buttons, and they've been snug for years, including the big heavy les paul.
The toothpick trick works on everything. I've used it many times on everything from water skis to door jams. If you dip the toothpicks in glue first then you should let it dry before putting the screw back in. But they will hold pretty darn good without glue if you jam them in tight. No need to drill a pilot hole.
just drill out the hole and put a dowel rod in there, then drill a new hole for the screw, it's more reliable that the toothpick trick by far.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
update: talked to my dad (master carpenter, 35yrs in union, retired), and he said the putty should work fine, just a BB-sized pellet in the hole is enough.

the "majic putty" is just a form of epoxy (similar to bondo) that beats the hell out of wood glue for toughness, and if you put too much stuff in the hole (wood, etc.) you run the risk of splitting the wood, especially on a LP, since mahogany is not a very strong wood (hard, but not strong, something with the grain), and Epi's arent even the highest quality mahogany. he said those of you who've done the trick did it well; and done well it should work fine, but not knowing the integrity of the wood, its best to play it safe. the putty will seat the screw solid, and if need be, can be drilled later for bigger or longer screws.

what the hell, i'm gonna give it a shot...he's always made exact proper choices with woodworking before, so if it doesnt work, i'm gonna "El Ka-bong!" his ass with my split Les Paul!!

(for you younger tykes, El Ka-bong was this guitar-playing super-hero cartoon dog who's weapon was whacking his foe over the friggin head with his guitar....damn i'm old!)
I really think that stuff is a joke, I see the commercial and they have jumps in the video to cut out the "set time" for the product...probably a few hours or even to replace it with another glue completely...
The oxy clean does work though, and cleans Roland v-drum mesh heads very well.

As for the strap locks, just use wood glue and a toothpick, it works very well.