i used the search bar already, and why the **** isn't there an Epica thread?!
okay, discuss and talk about one of the most epic band ever, Epica.

The combination of Operatic vocals and Growl vocals is just trully brilliant.

if anyone doesnt know Epica, http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dys1_TuUmI4.
there you go.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Last edited by 4STRINGBOY at May 13, 2008,
Quote by demiphoenix
i thought this was about the kamelot album ;_;

GTFO!

please check epica out.. I wanna show UG the light!
Hot singer, thats about it.

Puke-inducingly maudlin and cheesy otherwise.. to these ears anyway.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Mate, this is well p00fy emo.

Nah not really, I liked it. The singer is hot - looks like Hayley Williams, no?
Quote by No U
Mate, this is well p00fy emo.

Nah not really, I liked it. The singer is hot - looks like Hayley Williams, no?

Haley doesn't have shit on Simone. Not even in the same league.

That said, I really like The Phantom Agony. Pretty solid album. The growls on Seif al Din (I think that's right) are really well done too.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i saw epica open for symphony x. they are the most boring band i have ever seen live. i didn't even get to see simone simons, just the fat chick that filled in for her . although i must admit, consign to oblivion is a sick song.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
I like their overall sound but I find their lyrics at times to be a bit stale. Simone has a good voice, and I guess I am not like most of their fans in the sense that I enjoy Amanda Somerville's vocals a lot and think she is a very good temporary replacement.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Quote by Leper Affinity
I like their overall sound but I find their lyrics at times to be a bit stale. Simone has a good voice, and I guess I am not like most of their fans in the sense that I enjoy Amanda Somerville's vocals a lot and think she is a very good temporary replacement.

i agree, 100%.
They already have a thread.

They're good, but I don't listen to them much.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Magero
Great band. The live/studio vid of Cry for the Moon is epic win, but the guitarist's growls suuuuuuck

ehh.. 1st time i heard it, i was like "wtf the growls butchered it" but its like, thats his style.. and i think its very unique in otherwords, its cool.
Epica are good. But there's several better bands doing the same thing - Leave's Eyes being the ones that jump up first. After Forever's early stuff was also similar and better.
I haven't really heard anything else than their really weird cover of Crystal Mountain, which I didn't like at all. Simone Simons is hot though.
****in' kickass Symphonic Metal, one of my favorite bands. Chasing the Dragon = kickass song.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Mad_BOB
Epica are good. But there's several better bands doing the same thing - Leave's Eyes being the ones that jump up first. After Forever's early stuff was also similar and better.

leaves eyes is the most boring band I ever saw live.
I love them, as I have a huge soft spot for gothic metal.

However, it seems that they, like any other band of their ilk, eventually just get kicked off my MP3 and replaced with Nightwish again.
Whoever is growling is horrible, but the girls have great voices, everything is good but the growls.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
I LOVE Epica. There's no band out there that can create such epic songs. The clue's in the name, lol!

Each album gets better and better. Chasing the Dragon off their newest album is absolutely amazing.

I hope Simone is all better now after getting MRSA

As to whether they're better than Nightwish...my simple answer is "yes". But to be honest if you're going to look at them both from a totally unbiased view, you can't really compare them. Nightwish don't have the growls, and their new singer doesn't even come close to Simone. And even though it was Tarja that inspired Simone to take up classical singing, I think Simone has overtaken her already. To me, Tarja could never control her voice, it was like it was too powerful for her and she applied way too much vibrato that made her sound like she was singing on top of a washing machine.

But anyways, not trying to bash Nightwish, but Epica >>>>> Nightwish
Last edited by grantjames at Nov 7, 2008,
I saw these fellows open in '08 when I saw Iced Earth on the first tour back with Barlow. Not that good and Simone wasn't there (I believe it was her vocal coach that filled in - blonde and nice tits, but no real stage presence or originality as well as shit sound in the venue not allowing anyone to really hear her voice dominate like it's supposed to).

But this year, a friend insisted that I go to Epica. And I figured, why not. I wanted to gaze at Simone. I was basically less than a meter away from her, which was cool. They're a nice live band and she's a definite stunner, but as far as truly being good, Epica don't deliver. Their songs kind of go nowhere and they don't make songs coherent enough and thus don't make proper use of her abilities. Not only that, but Simone's recorded vocals on all of her albums (I haven't heard the new one) aren't quite as powerful as they're supposed to be. Though I dislike Nightwish, they did the right thing in letting Tarja's voice dominate the music (until of course she left, then they let someone else do it while making even more terrible music). As well, the lack of coherence and the structures that often force themselves against the grain don't really help out in terms of catchiness. I mean, there are definitely arena rock parts that are memorable, but not as arena potent as a Nightwish or Lacuna Coil.
I've found Jesus
Nice tits, you say?

Yeah, I actually thought they were alright the first couple times I heard them. Then got an album and was disappointed. I literally used it to help me sleep once or twice.

But I don't dislike them, I just think "meh".

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Epica is a strange band for me, they kinda grew into me by the time. From a few simple songs on youtube, which captured my interests. Then came their divine conspiracy album, which took a long time for me to understand and like.

Their new'est album has reached many levels, and left behind alot of what epica was back a few years ago. They're more progressive then ever, HEAVIER and finally guitar solo's yay! Opeth and God Dethroned fans should definintely take their time with this album, as there are lot's of influences swining here and there.

But still, they will always be epica Progressive symphonic metal.
Quote by Contraband
I saw these fellows open in '08 when I saw Iced Earth on the first tour back with Barlow. Not that good and Simone wasn't there (I believe it was her vocal coach that filled in - blonde and nice tits, but no real stage presence or originality as well as shit sound in the venue not allowing anyone to really hear her voice dominate like it's supposed to).

But this year, a friend insisted that I go to Epica. And I figured, why not. I wanted to gaze at Simone. I was basically less than a meter away from her, which was cool. They're a nice live band and she's a definite stunner, but as far as truly being good, Epica don't deliver. Their songs kind of go nowhere and they don't make songs coherent enough and thus don't make proper use of her abilities. Not only that, but Simone's recorded vocals on all of her albums (I haven't heard the new one) aren't quite as powerful as they're supposed to be. Though I dislike Nightwish, they did the right thing in letting Tarja's voice dominate the music (until of course she left, then they let someone else do it while making even more terrible music). As well, the lack of coherence and the structures that often force themselves against the grain don't really help out in terms of catchiness. I mean, there are definitely arena rock parts that are memorable, but not as arena potent as a Nightwish or Lacuna Coil.

I totally get what you mean, I had a hard time understanding what they truly where. But as time has swept by, I've found out their music is alot more progressive than expected, it takes time to fully enjoy some of their work. Epica is another step towards something else, just listen to the 2 newest albums. It's a real evolution from their previous albums. Which I don't like at all to be honest.

But it as you say, they are in the learning process.
Last edited by Eccer at Feb 2, 2010,
If you were gonna edit your second post, why didn't you just put the two posts that are basically saying the same thing into one?

Rhetorical. I know the answer.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
If you were gonna edit your second post, why didn't you just put the two posts that are basically saying the same thing into one?

Rhetorical. I know the answer.

Because..... well I was a bit hasty and didn't think it through. That's all, carry on!

And thanks for being picky :P (I ment that)
Last edited by Eccer at Feb 4, 2010,
Necrobump!

I've been getting into these guys a lot lately. I have Divine Conspiracy and Consign to Oblivion.

Rocking out to Never Enough right now.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Design Your Universe is one of my favorite albums ever, but I haven't done much venturing into Epica's older works. I'll get around to it, though.

Also, Simone is a goddess.
Quote by Jon777
Design Your Universe is one of my favorite albums ever, but I haven't done much venturing into Epica's older works. I'll get around to it, though.

Also, Simone is a goddess.

^

Haven't really listened to anything but Design... And Simone is a real beauty for sure.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR
Peavey Vyper 60W Tube
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
I need more of their stuff once I'm more familiar with my two album. She's definitely beautiful.

Dat red hair
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls