Page 1 of 2
At the beginning, when the F5 chord is played 3 times, then twice with dead notes, do you switch directly to the Bb5 Chord? It sounds like the F5 is strummed once right after the dead notes.

Also, how experienced are most people when they learn this song? I have been playin for almost 4 months and this will be my third song to learn once i can hit the chorus perfectly
I learned it after about a year, but only because I didn't listen to Nirvana until then. If you have your power chords down, and some really basic lead for the solo, you're good. You also need to know your timing...
It was the 1st song I learned. So basically it's a beginner song.
Quote by Xak
It was the 1st song I learned. So basically it's a beginner song.

It really isn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
advice:

learn songs like in bloom and lithium
or for one easier than teen spirit: territorial pissings

but teen spirit is just over done and borrrring
Uh...yeah it is a beginner song.. i've learned all of it already and can almost play through it with audio...and Ive been playing four months
Quote by zcleghern
Uh...yeah it is a beginner song.. i've learned all of it already and can almost play through it with audio...and Ive been playing four months

It's not a beginners song.

Fast, syncopated strumming with an awkward time signature and jerky rhythm, full barre chords, left hand damping.

None of those are "beginner" techniques.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

Fast, syncopated strumming with an awkward time signature and jerky rhythm, full barre chords, left hand damping.

Correct, and that's why we see things like this (apologies in advance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAMyQdBWhUw
Quote by :-D

hahahahahahahahahah. I went to that awful snotty s h i t t y school when i was a wee little man.

what an awful rendition that was. thats what happans when you coddle your kids: "oh jimmy thats just great, your great, just amazing"
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
holy ****. That was crazy bad! It sounds like the first time that kid every tried to play it on the guitar.

Well, the guitarist and the singer made that drummer look GOOD!

I do consider it a beginner song, but thats just because it is one of the first songs I ever learned how to play. However, I didn't attempt ANY songs until I had already spent over a month on basic techniques through learning my favorite riffs.
id say its a beginners song. i learned it pretty quickly when i first started and the solo is ridiculously easy.

that video was hilarious though.
Quote by sifon
id say its a beginners song. i learned it pretty quickly when i first started and the solo is ridiculously easy.

that video was hilarious though.

It's still not.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

+1

Its a simple chord progression..but not a simple song at at...
there are a lot of left hand techniques that take time to
get down.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett

+1. I honestly wouldnt rate any song that contains barre chords as a beginner song.
for some reason i didn't find bar chords particularly difficult to learn. it took me a couple days to get down, its still not perfect, never gonna be perfect til i practice them all day... and i've never learned how to play SLTS but my guess is it would be an intermediate beginner song.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
That was the first song I learnt. I couldn't play it perfectly, but then what beginner can play any song perfectly?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Yeti60
for some reason i didn't find bar chords particularly difficult to learn. it took me a couple days to get down, its still not perfect, never gonna be perfect til i practice them all day... and i've never learned how to play SLTS but my guess is it would be an intermediate beginner song.

That doesn't make sense - if they're not perfect then you can't play them, simple as. Anyone can learn HOW to do something on the guitar very easily, that doesn't class as "knowing" it though, you know a technique when you can execute it perfectly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That doesn't make sense - if they're not perfect then you can't play them, simple as. Anyone can learn HOW to do something on the guitar very easily, that doesn't class as "knowing" it though, you know a technique when you can execute it perfectly.

so does that mean i don't know how to play guitar, because i can't do it perfectly? no of course not, no one is perfect at anything.

you can always execute that slide more smoothly, you can always bend the string more precisely, there is always room for improvement
AROUND THE WORLD

Quote by Yeti60
so does that mean i don't know how to play guitar, because i can't do it perfectly? no of course not, no one is perfect at anything.

you can always execute that slide more smoothly, you can always bend the string more precisely, there is always room for improvement

to a certain degree, after all there's always something new to learn. As far as a single technique goes though, you can't say "oh, they're easy, I learned them in a day" then in the same breath say "but they aren't perfect" because that means you can't do them yet and still have some learning to do.

If you can consistently knock out random barre chords all over the neck and have them ring clearly then yes, you can do barre chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
to a certain degree, after all there's always something new to learn. As far as a single technique goes though, you can't say "oh, they're easy, I learned them in a day" then in the same breath say "but they aren't perfect" because that means you can't do them yet and still have some learning to do.

If you can consistently knock out random barre chords all over the neck and have them ring clearly then yes, you can do barre chords.

By "not perfect yet" he probably means he messes up sometimes. After all, it's impossible to be perfect at anything.
Quote by dannyboy1992
specially an F5

Lolol. +1

Even though its technically played with some bare chords. Still though, most people play it as power chords.
Quote by steven seagull

Gees man, you sound like a really arrogant prick.
I agree with steven seagull, some of you may have been able to pick it up faster as it's not very hard once you've gotten a little more familiar with the guitar. Def not a beginner song, maybe beginner lead solo but for me it took almost 10 months of playing before I could comfortably get the timing and the fretted muting all together. Is an easy song when you have the techniques Mr. Seagull mentioned.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by Johnny_H
Gees man, you sound like a really arrogant prick.

yup, that's me...

...along with all the other more experienced members of this board and pretty much every successful professional guitarist out there. All I'm doing is passing on the same approach I use to learning stuff - if I can't do properly then I can't do it, there's no point trying to kid yourself otherwise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Ze_Metal
By "not perfect yet" he probably means he messes up sometimes. After all, it's impossible to be perfect at anything.

yeah thats what i mean, thanks, maybe if its moving from a 1st fret bar to a 14th fret bar at like 180 bpm i might have trouble, just a little bit

but, no seagull, i understand what you mean, if someone can sweep pick but then not put into a song, then they can't sweep pick, i guess what i was trying to say, is that i can play bar chords but i do mess them up every once in a while

*whoa, i got into a disagreement with seagull and i didn't end up being totally humiliated!! *
AROUND THE WORLD

Last edited by Yeti60 at May 16, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

I can play a ton of Nirvana songs and other artists way more complicated than Nirvana and Smells Like Teen Spirit still kills me.....I can't play those deadened notes cleanly for some reason. (Been playing about three years)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
learned it after about 2 weeks

i learned the solo, but never bothered to memorize it
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
it took me a year before i could play it properly all the way through
thats coz of the strange rhythm n shiz.
but i dont care if thts a long time, coz we all progress differently.
Smells Like Teen Spirit was the first full song I learned how to play. After considering what steven seagull has said about the techniques involved in properly playing the song, I am surprised at how well I managed to play it after only playing for a couple of weeks. It was not great, but it did not sound terrible.

I would agree that the techniques involved in playing this song are not "beginner" techniques, but I might classify the song as a beginner song because once you can play the opening riff "well" the rest of the song is easy because the song consists only of three or four different parts (1. The Main Riff; 2. The Verse Riff; 3. The Riff at the End of the Chorus; 4. The Guitar Solo).
Quote by :-D

I saw that over a year ago (probably a couple years ago) on Google Video when Google Video and Youtube were two separate things (Google Video didn't come up with Youtube links). I was at my friend's house though and he was playing guitar while I was looking up covers. Came across that but the only way I could hear it was through headphones so I had those on and I swear it was pretty much ear rape.

Also for the people that were having trouble with SLTS try here
Also here is In Bloom. Those should help with what he calls "chicken scratching" (never heard anybody else use those words).
Also if it asks you for a password when looking at things on that site, its "leads". I don't think he ever took it down but the ad he had for the password is now gone.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Last edited by Slash546 at May 17, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
if I can't do properly then I can't do it, there's no point trying to kid yourself otherwise.

Thank you, it's glad to hear this approach outlined clearly. It's a point that people often overlook because they like to think they know more than they do.
First song I learned.

EDIT: Also, I am firmly of the belief that this is one of the easiest songs there is to play. I was playing about two weeks when I had this nailed. The solo is just about ridiculous in its simplicity.

Everything about Nirvana was simple. The clothes, the hair, the instruments, the music, the genre, everything.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at May 17, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

haha you make me laugh, although i dont want to insult you but ive been playing 6 years and smells like teen sprirt is one of the first songs i learn. fast strumming? it aint that hard and since when does it have full barre chords? there power chords and ffs it aint called dampening its called muting
Quote by gooooog
haha you make me laugh, although i dont want to insult you but ive been playing 6 years and smells like teen sprirt is one of the first songs i learn. fast strumming? it aint that hard and since when does it have full barre chords? there power chords and ffs it aint called dampening its called muting

haha I've been playing longer than you've been alive and have forgotten more about the guitar than you ever knew.

It's full barre chords, if you've been playing it 6 years* with power chords then I'm afraid you've been playing it wrong all this time. And I suppose you could call it muting, but it's easier to refer to it as left hand damping, muting tends to imply palm muting. To be honest all you've done is demonstrate why it isn't a beginner song, you never even learned it in the first place, you just learned some bastardized, simplistic interpretation of it. I'm sure you thought you could play it right at the beginning but I bet it sounded like crap.

Best to keep quiet before you make yourself look any more stupid, no?

*from your profile

hi im clive i live england and for those of you who dont know where that is its in europe. i play guitar and i have been for bout 2 and a half years now

make your mind up
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Page 1 of 2