Page 1 of 2
I was just curious as to why metal is so popular among guitarists. I see a lot of people nowadays thinking their the **** because they can play a few chords with souped up distortion.

Opinions?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I would say metal is popular because of the importance of the guitars.. and it appeals to the younger crowd i would assume.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
because its the genre of modern music that is most guitar-based. there is no metal without the guitar.
Quote by thriller4life
I was just curious as to why metal is so popular among guitarists. I see a lot of people nowadays thinking their the **** because they can play a few chords with souped up distortion.

Opinions?

LAWL U phail at life, Metal isnt Chords with distortion kid learn ur facts before u ****ing post a thread.

I think that metal is popular because its sumthing different than just chords played over and over again, using more complicated techniques to get something more exciting out of their guitar. Imo there isn't a better genre then metal
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
metal=life
LTD KH-602
Schecter Hellraiser C-8
Bugera 333X
Pedalboard:
Boss TU-2, HM-2
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Crybaby From Hell
Way Huge Swollen Pickel
DeviEver: Legend of Fuzz
MXR Phase 90 Script, Carbon Copy, MC-401
Actually the people you described thinking they're the sh*t because they can play some distorted chords, are punk guitarists, metal involves alot more than what you described. I am a metalhead, and I can't describe why I like it, or why I like other music, like the Beatles or Cream or Led Zeppelin, I just do. Although I think many other guitarists like it, because of the shear impressiveness(sp? if thats even a word) of metal.
Perhaps because metal is more than just a few chords with souped up distortion, plus to the more open minded metal can encompass so many styles in 1 song.

for the most part the huge range of sub genres means that metal as a whole is generally very acceptable, for example a jazz player might find something of interest in a between the buried and me song, or a more blues oritented player might enjoy some of hammet's solo's in metallica.

Metal can pretty much contain elements of pretty much any genre within it and thats why i think it's so popular, it's not limited to any one style or set of rules. (not that im saying that all other genre's are)
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
For me its the technical aspects of the guitars...a below average metal song is a lot more difficult than probably 90% of pop-rock songs nowadays...Metal also applies a lot of the more difficult aspects of guitar: trem picking, intricate solos, sweep picking etc. Metal just gets me pumped up. I can't listen to say a Nickleback song and get into it b/c every song sounds the same and primarily uses the same 3 chords in every song. Metal is fast, aggressive and in your face, and consequently gets me really amped up.

I basically base my interests in music by the amount of talent the guitarist(s) have. If the song has ****y parts and takes no tolent, I'm not going to like it. If the song is difficult, technical and the guitarist(s) are very talented, I'm going to like them regardless of the genre.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at May 13, 2008,
theres two ways of looking at it:

1. people who listen to metal are astounded by the neat guitar work and are inspired to play guitar

2. guitarists start listening to metal because they respect the technicality of it
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by thriller4life
I see a lot of people nowadays thinking their the **** because they can play a few chords with souped up distortion.

Opinions?

Who doesn't like I little soup now and then?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by tommyt
Perhaps because metal is more than just a few chords with souped up distortion, plus to the more open minded metal can encompass so many styles in 1 song.

for the most part the huge range of sub genres means that metal as a whole is generally very acceptable, for example a jazz player might find something of interest in a between the buried and me song, or a more blues oritented player might enjoy some of hammet's solo's in metallica.

Metal can pretty much contain elements of pretty much any genre within it and thats why i think it's so popular, it's not limited to any one style or set of rules. (not that im saying that all other genre's are)

I dont think its the fact that metal can contain those element i think its the fact that it utilises those elements better. For instance a blues solo would sound pretty odd in a punk song. Either that or metal has more dedicated musicians that work hard to make those elements work.
Quote by Marrklarr
because its the genre of modern music that is most guitar-based. there is no metal without the guitar.

not just guitar, i have seen banjo
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by metalhead_c-1
not just guitar, i have seen banjo

i knew this would come in handy. floyd rose banjo ftw
Quote by zhunt1130
For me its the technical aspects of the guitars...a below average metal song is a lot more difficult than probably 90% of pop-rock songs nowadays...Metal also applies a lot of the more difficult aspects of guitar: trem picking, intricate solos, sweep picking etc. Metal just gets me pumped up. I can't listen to say a Nickleback song and get into it b/c every song sounds the same and primarily uses the same 3 chords in every song. Metal is fast, aggressive and in your face, and consequently gets me really amped up.

I basically base my interests in music by the amount of talent the guitarist(s) have. If the song has ****y parts and takes no tolent, I'm not going to like it. If the song is difficult, technical and the guitarist(s) are very talented, I'm going to like them regardless of the genre.

Well said

I pretty much feel the same way
Metal is so popular because people like it and I LOVE IT because I do there is no way to explain it and way it is so huge, If you have ever looked a the guitar musicmarket you will see that like 75% is for metal to rock, most products are made for Metal like pedals, alot of amps, etc.
Quote by schecter_r0cker
LAWL U phail at life, Metal isnt Chords with distortion kid learn ur facts before u ****ing post a thread.

I think that metal is popular because its sumthing different than just chords played over and over again, using more complicated techniques to get something more exciting out of their guitar. Imo there isn't a better genre then metal

As soon as I read 'LAWL' I disregarded the rest of your post. I know what metal is I was just using an example of people that are 'not so good' at the guitar thinking they are because of a few chords with souped up distortion.

By the way I'd just like to point out that you're the one poking pitty arugumentative phrases at me...but I'm the kid...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Its fun to play. + what zhunt said.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Fun to play, fun to listen to. Technically challenging. No matter what; metal is going to force you to improve your playing if you jump from another genre.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by thriller4life
As soon as I read 'LAWL' I disregarded the rest of your post. I know what metal is I was just using an example of people that are 'not so good' at the guitar thinking they are because of a few chords with souped up distortion.

By the way I'd just like to point out that you're the one poking pitty arugumentative phrases at me...but I'm the kid...

You're an idiot

Do you even listen to metal?
No YOUR an idiot.
Stop posting.
no one likes you.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
No YOUR an idiot.
Stop posting.
no one likes you.

Why would I care if people liked me or not on a goddamn forum?

BTW it's "YOU'RE" not "YOUR" dumbass
Quote by NYGiantsFanFTW

There is power in numbers my moronic comrade.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
You guys don't read very well...I said chords for a reason...I wasn't talking about sweep picking or economy picking...read before you post please.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life

Opinions?

That's the problem with metal. The fans sometimes give it a bad name because it's such a diverse genre. One person could think of AX7 when they hear the word metal, while another thinks of necrophagist. However, there is a certain technicality and unity that no other genre can posess. It still amazes me to see two metal guitarist so in sync with each other when playing together
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
That's the problem with metal. The fans sometimes give it a bad name because it's such a diverse genre. One person could think of AX7 when they hear the word metal, while another thinks of necrophagist. However, there is a certain technicality and unity that no other genre can posess. It still amazes me to see two metal guitarist so in sync with each other when playing together

A7X*
Necrophagist is the ****ing ****
and you make a good point
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredhead22

A7X is NOT metal.

jk I really don't know and don't care but if you said A7X was metal in a metal forum you would be burned to death. So we do indeed give metal a bad name.
Quote by MetalliKH-602
metal=life

This man has the right answer, believe it or not.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
i dare the TC to play Lake Bodom by CoB and then ask him to repeat that metal are only dist souped chords
Metal=popular?I don't think so.I see a lot of kids who enjoy pop punk,emo,and hip hop instead.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Dude, hair metal was the thing that turned America intoa huge slut, of course I'm gonna like it!
TS, listen to some Cynic and Atheist. Now try and play what they're playing along with them at their tempo.

That is what real metal guitarists listen to and play. Not just a few random chords with distortion. Pretty crazy stuff with time signature changes, dissonance, and interesting picking and fingering patterns.

Usually the only other genres that can be as complex as metal (usually technical death metal or progressive metal) are classical and jazz... which is why the genres fuse so well.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

metal takes different techniques and methods from every other genre.
in a sense it a "perfect" genre for guitar because it incorporates almost everything.

and its such a broad genre as well with tonnes of sub-genres.
just saying "metal is popular" is far to vague.
Metal isnt technical. Power chords+scales. Its just average music played fast, which is kind of hard sure, but there isnt anything technically spectacular about it except the speed.
Quote by NYGiantsFanFTW

BTW it's "YOU'RE" not "YOUR" dumbass

HE'S A GRAMMAR NAZI!
TAKE COVER!

seriously though, "power chords with souped up distortion"
wtf lol
a lot of metal is really technical stuff
also what the hell is "souped up distortion"?
Top lel.
Quote by thriller4life
You guys don't read very well...I said chords for a reason...I wasn't talking about sweep picking or economy picking...read before you post please.

If you're thinking about just chords then you're not thinking about metal; you're average metal song has much much more than just chords in it. At the very least you need a lot of stamina to be a good metal player, not to mention the extreme technicality exhibited by bands like Necrophagist, Atheist, Cynic, Meshuggah and even Cannibal Corpse's recent output.

Get your facts straight before you go talking crap; metal is not just chords and the only genre that is just chords that I can think of right now is Punk.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Page 1 of 2