Poll Options
View poll results: overrated
yes
120 44%
no
153 56%
Voters: 273.
Page 1 of 2
IMO I think he is definitely overrated. People act as if he created tapping/shred. When actually he didn't create tapping and he doesn't even shred at all. People act as if he is the most amazing thing to happen to guitar. For this I think he is overrated.
Lawl ur gonna get banned for reposting this...

REPORTED
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
um he did invent tapping and he does shred.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Whether he technically invented tapping or not is doubtful but there's no denying he was the first to streamline the technique and bring it to the public eye if you will. And though he doesn't shred he was playing quicker than most at the time he came out. Also don't forget his tone which is just incredible.
EVH SHREADS!!! :P

he's awesome at what he does and i love his tone, my only bone to pick with him is alot of his stuff sounds the same.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
Whether he technically invented tapping or not is doubtful but there's no denying he was the first to streamline the technique and bring it to the public eye if you will. And though he doesn't shred he was playing quicker than most at the time he came out. Also don't forget his tone which is just incredible.
what he said.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Not really. When he is considered a "Guitar God" I think that's a bit much, but he did pave the way for most modern rock/metal music. Without Halen, someone else probably would have come along, but I think he plays an important part in modern guitarists techniques. A lot of young (Now famous) shredders looked at some of his solos and thought, "Holy shit I want to play like that" and now they have become what they have become.

Just a humble opinion.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
this thread is still open? lasted longer than i thought it would
Quote by SharpSpoon
I think I can safely say I would still bang her knowing this information.

Lmao ^

Grundy0 > Cancer!
he is a god
hes just as inovative as jimi hndrix
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
None of his stuff really speaks to me except this one solo I found on youtube, which absolutely blew me away.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

He did NOT invent tapping. The first electric guitar player to tap was the guitarist from Genesis, and he took if from classical guitar players.

i heard it was EVH. him and alex went to see zepplin and they played "heartbreaker" and that is where ed go the idea....

not only that but his tone... and his hermonics are great.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I think hes the great, not because he used tapping techinique, but rather because of his great tone. He didnt invent tapping, but the ability he has to change between tapping and picking pieces without lossing tone is awesome. Likewise his ability to restrain himself when neccesary for the sake of the song is more than commendable
i enjoy head
People need to shut the F'up with threads like this, NO ONE GIVES A **** of what you think or your opionions of others, keep it to yourself NYGaintsFanFTW.
Yes.

so are

hendrix
clapton
santana
page
slash

and a million others

doesn't mean they're bad guitarists, but none of them are even close to being "the best" as they're so often labeled
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
i really dislike EVH. he was cool for a little bit, but then he had songs like Jump and then i was like WTF!? also he is a good player but he is very bland. there were many better guitarists during that time IMO
Eddie Van Halen has his own unique style and he is frickin' awesome, but sometimes it annoys me. For instance, his solo in Jump is kind of meh, but the fact that he uses major chords and stuff in such a heavy manner in many songs appeals to me. His songwriting is also quite awesome, as is his more inventive stuff such as in Mean Street. His tone is also quite godlike in my opinion.

In a nutshell I personally like him a lot, but he is starting to seem overrated in my eyes. Eruption does not have the same appeal in my eyes as it used to, but I appreciate Van Halen's other songs more than ever. He is also not the most technically gifted by a long shot. He did not invent tapping, but he definitely was the first to use it so heavily and as such a dedicated technique, and his playing style was revolutionary.

And that's all I have to say about that. 1984 was the first real album I bought, and it still stands as absolutely incredible in my book.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by tommyt
Yes.

so are

hendrix
clapton
santana
page
slash

and a million others

doesn't mean they're bad guitarists, but none of them are even close to being "the best" as they're so often labeled

true, but what other false idols are we suppost to hold dear? if i said, "Per-Olav Kindgren rocks!" who would back me on that, furthermore who would know who im talking about?

(he's a classical player and has 152 vids on youtube. check him out hes awesome)
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by plucky duck
true, but what other false idols are we suppost to hold dear? if i said, "Per-Olav Kindgren rocks!" who would back me on that, furthermore who would know who im talking about?

(he's a classical player and has 152 vids on youtube. check him out hes awesome)

i do understand what your saying but this worshiping of certain guitarists is just so over the top

for example im a huge fan of luke hoskin and tim millar from protest the hero, theyve written some amazing songs that i absolutly love, but as good as they are, i know they're just great guitarists nothing more nothing less.

Jason Becker, the guy was fantastic and what happened to him was tragic ... i honestly think that if he'd been able to come of age with his playing the guitar world probably wouldnt talk about malmsteen, vai, gilbert (and i do love paul gilbert) the way they do now, but either way he still wasn't "a god" he was just a great guitarist, he still had his flaws in his playing and he struggled just like anyone else did.

I don't think ill ever be able to grasp why people feel the need to say things that bascally just mean

"oh this guy played guitar for this band, therefore he's better than everyone at his chosen instrument."
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
i get you tommyt. worshiping a guitar player is foolish, but imulation its the least harmful foolish thing one can do (im guilty of this from time to time)

worship any footballers? know someone who does?

+ enthusiasm is hard to come by after a certain age for many, let the baby have its bottle and you could have teat of rightiousness (and tell me what its like when you're done) hahaha
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
i think this belongs in the pit.

as they say in mexico,
el-reported-o essay
Quote by chea_man
i think this belongs in the pit.

as they say in mexico,
el-reported-o essay

was in the pit
got closed
lol
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
^so it's safe now?

I grew up listening to Eddie. If he's a bit over-rated there is probably a reason. He's crossed thru many generations of listeners. Sure there are others but this thread is about Eddie.

EDIT: +1 to ZZtop comment because i think there is more truth there, and i was also referring to a GuitarWorld interview with Eddie. *goes to find mag*

I read that he did not get the ideal from Heartbreaker. He had studied classical music growing up and there plenty of tapping there. And I don't know if you consider Mean Street and AFU (latter off OU812) shredding but he def laid ground work for it.

last note: i saw Eddie recently live and OMG. blew me away. better than the old days when i saw him. he's sober now and it shows. just freakin awesome. even if you don't like Van Halen i would go to a show if you can and see for yourself what i'm talking about.

<flame blocker for price of ticket objections>

later

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 13, 2008,
He did not invent tapping

It was an exercise of his and then his producer or someone heard it and said "You should turn that into a song"
He even said it's just an exercise.
But then he got a giant ego out of it.

He makes me want to punch babies in the face.
Last edited by Anno[fzk] at May 13, 2008,
Quote by Schecter4lyfe
um he did invent tapping and he does shred.

False and False
I'm back, you douchebags.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']He did not invent tapping

It was an exercise of his and then his producer or someone heard it and said "You turn that into a song"
He even said it's just an exercise.
But then he got a giant ego out of it.

He makes me want to punch babies in the face.
what you're describing is the song 'eruption' rather than tapping itself.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by tommyt
Yes.

so are

hendrix
clapton
santana
page
slash

and a million others

I hope you die in a freak lightning storm or get crushed by a cow or something u sure as hell deserve it.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
It's like my guitar teacher said. "He started the whole tapping thing, but he hasn't done anything ground breaking since."
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by the_white_bunny
i heard it was EVH. him and alex went to see zepplin and they played "heartbreaker" and that is where ed go the idea....

not only that but his tone... and his hermonics are great.

OK. I stand corrected. In GuitarWorld April 2008 (page 56) he is quoted as saying, "I think I got the idea for tapping watching Jimmy Page do his 'heartbreaker' solo back in 1971, he was doing a pull-off to an open string" - and then Eddie recalls how he used his left fret finger as the nut (like a capio) and took it from there.

Fair enough, but i know there were other interviews where he said something different. At least in April of 2008 he was sober so i gotta go with that.

Additionally, in GW March 2007 on page 72 in an article titled "The Pursuit of Tappiness" - it references the first string tapping being done by Niccoclo Paganini in the early 1800's and Randy Resnick in the '60's with the electric guitar. Additionally, Frank Zappa was doing tapping before EVH. Randy Rhoads 'discovered' rock guitar tapping about the same time that Eddie was incorporating it but never got a ton of credit for it.

lastly, i don't see EVH as being vain about it, he actually says in one of these interviews that he was somewhat embarrased that he was getting all of the credit for 'inventing tapping' and used to turn his back to audiance when he first started doing it because he didn't want anybody to see it. (maybe somewhat vain there).

other opinions or sources?

;
he is definitely an innovative and skilled guitarist
there is no denying that

when it comes to how good he is?
There are plenty of people good at shredding and playing guitar
He has made countless hits and his eruption solo is positively in the top 10 even though it is just his warm up exercise

So..

Yes he is GOoD
He isn't the best but he is really influential and amazing
Oh hell, he's good, but not that GREAT. kind of boring player actually.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think he is very overrated. Everyone says that he paved the road for metal and he was the first of his kind. If you know anything about the history of metal you'd know that Eddie and Randy Rhoads grew up in the same town at the same time and had very similar influences. A lot of people say that all Randy did was copy him, as a matter of fact I've heard many things that Eddie did to copy Randy. Randy had his little toggle switch thing where it cuts in and out and a few years later Eddie started doing that. Randy did use tapping but he admits that he got that from Eddie and didn't like to do it much for that reason. The first time they met Eddie insulted him and said that he sounds like everyone esle and is nothing special.
Anyone that think that they are amazing or a god SUCKS at guitar. You can be a god or amazing but the second you say that you are blows it all. I'm not saying that you can't say you're good but if you think of yourseld as a god that's just wrong. That's how Eddie thinks of himself.

So anyways, Van Halen's first album came out 1978, Quiet Riot's (Randy's first band) first album came out also in 1978 but was only released in Japan. After he quit QR he joined up with Ozzy and became guitar player of the year in 1981. He died early 1982 so he never got that big. If he was still around and Eddie had died Randy would be considered the godfather of shredding metal. In my opinion he is, and Eddie's technique isn't that hard.
To play Eddie's stuff is easy but to write it is hard. On the other hand to play Randy's is hard but to write it is even harder, plus it's melodic unlike most of Eddie's.

So after all this I'd say he is highly overrated in my opinion.
uuuummmm.....

no disrespect to Randy whatsoever, but Eddie does more than just tap. he has some pretty wicked stuff going on in 'Fair Warning' album (my favorite) as well as later stuff off F.U.C.Knowledge and even 5150 for that matter.. Blues, tap, harmonics, rhythm, crunch.

again, it would be amazing to think what Randy could have accomplished if he had lived on.

additionally, my point was that Eddie has been pretty f'd up mentally and chemically for many years and i'm hoping he can stay sober and maybe even put out something new. i think he is a different man now based on what i have seen and read.

also, i don't consider EVH stuff to be un-melodic but that's what we are here for right. have a discusson on opinions so.....props up for your opinion.

;
Page 1 of 2