is it necessary/benificial to anchor your hand? I have never done it, and was wondering if it helps you a great ammount. Currently, I rest my arm on the top of my guitar and just go, do I need to anchor my hand with my pinky/ring below my strings, some other way, or at all?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
It's not necessary, and really there are some pros and cons to it, but if you're good at either one (anchoring or not) then you will be able to overcome the cons.

The only actual issue with it is if you press down on the guitar too hard, thus creating tension and will eventually lead to problems with your hand/wrist. But otherwise if you just anchor a little bit (like MAB, Alexi... Me! tons of others, just can't think of them now lol) then you're not going to hurt yourself.

One thing you really shouldn't do is rest your hand on the bridge and let all your picking come from wrist movements, you'll find a bunch of complications and fast. Let your whole arm pick for you.

Note: this topic is about to be flooded with ignorant people who will tell you no matter what anchoring is a terrible terrible thing, and that it will kill you. I wish I was kidding.
I anchor, I didnt even realise until I loaded an HH scratchplate to my old strat

I just touch the tip of my pinky on the bottom of the middle pickup. Which isnt there anymore!

I've just got a les paul and removed the scratchplate so I can do similar on that, on the pickup rings.

I suppose that this makes me a bad person then?
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Dan_Q
I anchor, I didnt even realise until I loaded an HH scratchplate to my old strat

I just touch the tip of my pinky on the bottom of the middle pickup. Which isnt there anymore!

I've just got a les paul and removed the scratchplate so I can do similar on that, on the pickup rings.

I suppose that this makes me a bad person then?

Not at all - saying that anyone who anchors is bad is like saying all people who play in the "classical" position suck. It's just not true. There are pro's and con's. When you anchor, you need to pay attention to it, but it's not going to make you a ****ty player by a long shot.
I sometimes rest my pinky on the volume button if I need to change volumes fast, I sometimes rest my palm on the bridge to mute strings for some distorted riffs. I sometimes anchor it without even thinking about it, but what edusty2010 pointed out about tension is 100% correct, pain will develop and it may lead to other problems. There's really no 'right' way to do it, just avoid unnecessary tension in your muscles and get a good sound at the same time.
does always palm muting the strings such as the 6,5,4 strings while not playing them count as anchoring, because i always do that.
Dunno... I think I read something about Steve Morse muting every string except the one he's currently picking when doing really high gain stuff.
Quote by ironman1478
does always palm muting the strings such as the 6,5,4 strings while not playing them count as anchoring, because i always do that.

That's actually a very good habit - because those strings won't ever give you feedback. Makes for a very clean player, really necessary on high gain like someone said Morse does, because even a tiny tap of the string can sound a bad not, and you don't want that - ever.
+1 edusty2010.

i think it does depend on style. and the type of song you are playing. if you're strumming up and down it's good to let your elbow do some of the work and NOT rest a finger anywhere.

if you're doing really fast picking, it might be good to anchor your pinky or something on the pick gaurd or top E string if you're not using it.

i know that if i tried to fast alt pick like EVH or Dave Mustaine i would def have to anchor to something to keep my hand over the right strings.

;
yeah i should have mentioned that- i'm a rhythm man mainly and dont do it when strumming, I only anchor when note picking, like at the moment i'm trying to learn "design for life" by the maniac sh*t poachers
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by edusty2010

One thing you really shouldn't do is rest your hand on the bridge and let all your picking come from wrist movements, you'll find a bunch of complications and fast. Let your whole arm pick for you.

I've noticed players like Buckethead, Al Di Meola, and Paul Gilbert pick from the wrist while players like Zakk Wylde move their entire arms to pick. I much prefer the technique of picking from the wrist although It's really hard to get that kind of speed when you're not just tremolo picking across the strings.