I searched and couldn't find a thread on VU, so I've decided to start a thread. I've been on a VU kick lately and it's mind-boggling how many great songs they have. I mean, on their first three albums, every song is just incredible. Lou Reed is a brilliant songwriter, John Cale's avant-garde touches on piano and violin are mind-blowing (although ironically my favorite album is the self-titled 3rd album w/out him), and Maureen Tucker's primal thud just glues the whole thing together. Anyone else here dig these guys?
I dunno why Classic Rockers are always trying to claim them.

Anyway "Sweet Jane" is far and away my favorite song.

Gives me goosebumps every time. Especially the Bridge.
No velvet underground thread before this? I find that hard to believe.

One of my top 5 all time bands. The Quine Tapes are unbelievable.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I dunno why Classic Rockers are always trying to claim them.

Anyway "Sweet Jane" is far and away my favorite song.

Gives me goosebumps every time. Especially the Bridge.

Because despite being more punk than the stereotypical hard rock of the classic rock era, their peak was in the late 60s and 70s, the height of classic rock.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
^ it's a compiliation of live recordings of the VU by Robert Quine (Richard Hell & the Voidoids).

Oh, and the Velvet Underground are incredible.
^you need to get the s/t, also greatness though a bit more mellow

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Quote by therussian
Because despite being more punk than the stereotypical hard rock of the classic rock era, their peak was in the late 60s and 70s, the height of classic rock.

Yeah, but Classic Rock Radio won't touch their stuff with a 42 foot pole.

Occasionally you'll hear Take a Walk on The Wild side though...

It's really a small issue though. It's certainly not worth an argument.

As for what the Quine Tapes are:

They are a series of live VU performances recorded by the abosultely Godly Robert Quine that all end with of 30+ minute versions of "Sister Ray."

Sister Ray is orgasmic.

I have listened to every version of it on that set.
Live 1969 has some great versions of Heroin on it.
my rig:
fender telecaster
mxr phase 90
fender frontman 25r
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Yeah, but Classic Rock Radio won't touch their stuff with a 42 foot pole.

Occasionally you'll hear Take a Walk on The Wild side though...

It's really a small issue though. It's certainly not worth an argument.

Well, that's because a lot of VU (especially the first two albums) aren't very radio friendly.

But whatever, yea, not worth an argument.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
my classic rock station plays Run Run Run occasionally but beside Take a Walk on the Wild Side thats just about the only one...

what surprises me is how they are considered somewhat obscure but they've collaberated with so many huge pop icons from the 60s, Warhol and Morrison to name couple
^That goes back to the whole songs not being radio friendly thing. A lot of people back in their day considered their stuff too abrasive and thought of it as just noise (except for a small pocket of people, most of whom formed bands influenced by them, at least according to Brian Eno) and so they didn't get very big. Though they've lost a little of that abrasiveness through time, their still pretty inaccesible (White Light/White Heat in particular). So that's why they're so obscure, although they've become more mainstream over the years through rock critics who worship the ground they walk on.