well, i have to do this thing for math and it needs 1000 lockers.

well, since i suck at math im gonna do it the old fashioned way.

and that is by-drawing it out.

but i dont wanna draw 1000 frickin dots.

is there a way i can do it microsoft word?

like i type in 1000

and itll give me 1000 dots/bullets/whatever?

any help?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")....just cuz

Old Man Jenkins of The Jellyfishing Club. PM darkstar2466 to join
i think i got that question last year in elective. it took 4 days before the teacher gave up because no one couldn't get the answer
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Put a dot/bullet/whatever in a cell.
Highligh the cell.
Select the bottom, right hand corner of the cell, and drag it downwards to row 50.
Now you should have a column of 50 dots.
Select these 50 dots.
Drag the bottom right hand corner of these dots to Column T.

There ya go!
Quote by saphrax
Put a dot/bullet/whatever in a cell.
Highligh the cell.
Select the bottom, right hand corner of the cell, and drag it downwards to row 50.
Now you should have a column of 50 dots.
Select these 50 dots.
Drag the bottom right hand corner of these dots to Column T.

There ya go!

If you have a spreadsheet program (Excel?) this will probably be the easiest way. What's the question by the way?
the new wing will have exactly 1000 lockers and exaxctly 1000 students. the first student will enter the building and open all the lockers. the second student will then enter the school and close every locker with an even number, (2, 4, 6, 8...) the third student will reverse every third locker. that is, if its closed, she will open it. and if its open, she will close it. the fourth student will reverse every fourth locker and so on untill all 1000 students entered the building and and reversed the proper lockers. which lockers will finally remain open?

thts the question.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")....just cuz

Old Man Jenkins of The Jellyfishing Club. PM darkstar2466 to join
Maybe every perfect square, because 1,4, and 9 would be open, but not 2,3,5,6,7,8.

Also 16, but not 15. I think thats the pattern. I dont know why, something to do with factors.

EDIT: its because the squares have odd numbers of factors. The last locker would be 961 because thats the square 31.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Last edited by gryphonguy at May 13, 2008,
Quote by gryphonguy
Maybe every perfect square, because 1,4, and 9 would be open, but not 2,3,5,6,7,8.

Also 16, but not 15. I think thats the pattern. I dont know why, something to do with factors.

I believe you win.

Factors of most numbers come strictly in pairs, but perfect squares have one set of factors that is the same number. Therefore, they have an odd number of factors. If the number on the locker has an odd number of factors, it will be reversed an odd number of times so it will have changed from closed to open. All numbers who are not perfect squares will have thier factors in pairs so they will have an even number of factors. An even number of factors leads to it being changed an even number of times, resulting in the same position as it started (closed).

tl;dr Odd number of factors=open. Even number of factors=closed. All and only perfect squares have an odd number of factors.
Last edited by rjdusa at May 13, 2008,