Well, I tried asking this in The Pit, but I mostly got jokes about masturbation ( go figure), so I was hoping someone here could help.

So last night, I played for somewhere between 3 - 4 hours streight, and when I woke up this morning my entire left hand was stiff and numb, almost like it was asleep. I moved my fingers a bit and it went back to normal, but still a little stiff. No pain.

Is that unusual?

In addition to being full-on numb when I wake up, it occasionally goes numb while I'm playing (mostly in the fingertips/mandibles). When I shake it out and relax it, the feeling usually goes away. It's just more pronounced when I first wake up.

I've been playing between 3 - 12 hours a day for about 3 years now, and the numbness has only started recently. I generally average 4 - 6 hours a day, if you include band practice.

Any thoughts?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Try masturbating less.

Ahahaha, just kidding. Okay, not funny. Erm... are you sure this is guitar related? Because I think that if it was, it would have started happening sooner.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
sounds like a circulation problem. it happens to my sometimes when i play as well. some cardio exercise should actually help with that. its all about blood flow.
happens dude if you think about it 3-12 hours of constant working on your hands and fingers is pretty harsh not to say dont do it, its just the pain that comes with the pleasure man keep on going
maybe you slept on your hand to much or something and caused a nerve to sever (not sure if thats how you spell it)
that or you pulled a tendant because of playing to much wich might explain you hand beeing stiff
Yeah, mandible probably isnt the word. The things in the top of your hand

It wasn't from my sleeping on it afaik. I was lying on my right side when I woke up, and as I've said, while it's similier to being asleep, it wasn't quite the same sensation.

Also it happens while I play.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Maybe your sleeping on your arm. Maybe all the practicing is catching up to your hand now?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
It may be the way you lay your hand down when you sleep, if it is in fact related to your playing then extended periods of having your hand in a certain position can slowly cut off blood flow. If you think about it your muscles have been building up over the last few years and the odd positioning of your arm/wrist during playing may be causing those now larger muscles to cut off the blood flow in various veins, etc. Try taking a break every once in awhile to stretch it out. Simple finger stretches as well as some massaging of the fingers and palms should help every little while.
Thanks for all the replies.

It's relieving to see that the concensus is just blood flow. I was a little nervous that I might be developing carpal tunnel, tendonitis, nerve damage, or one of those other not-so-fun things that could prevent me from playing.

I'll start giving my fingers more rest and start streching more, and if it persists beyond that, I'll get it checked out.

Thanks again
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
lol, if the finger stretching and resting doesnt work. try running. the healthier your cardio system is, the better the blood flow.
uh how about go to a doctor that way you dont develop something severe enough to impair your playing permanatly you could probably use a check up anyway.
You might be playing too much, causing the tissues to swell and affect your circulation. I agree with anita prs bad, it couldn't hurt to have a doctor check it out.
Lol. Don't worry, like I said if it persists I'll get it checked out. For the short term I'll take it easy and let my hand rest.

AFAIK I get pretty decent cardio, I work at a beer & wine drive-thru, so I'm pretty much spending all day doing wind sprints with beer cases (and occasionally stopping to check UG )
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Also, make sure your body core is warm and your arm is warm. If you have cold hands (your extremities get cold first, and the position your in while playing will make this worse because of the blood flow issue) your more likely to have issues. Keep yourself moving freely and keep yourself warm and your blood flow will be better and it could help.

Other than that, all I can say is that you really need to listen to your body. take it easy, see if theres some improvement and dont go back to full on playing as soon as you see any improvement, I know cos I've let minor injuries turn out badly on many occasions because I didn't give them a chance to heal.