10 scales should probably be sufficient to get you through college. Honestly, I don't even know why you're going.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

Quote by ProneSolution
10 scales should probably be sufficient to get you through college. Honestly, I don't even know why you're going.

They will teach him HOW to use the things he learns/knows. That's why he should go.
I hope you mean 10 types of scales. Knowing C Major, D Major, E Major, etc on the guitar is good, but that's still just one scale.

Read the theory link in my sig and the MT FAQ. That will be more than enough than you would be expected to know for Theory 101. Also, make sure you can read music.

If you're going to get a degree in music, I suggest going to a regular college (rather than pure music school) and double majoring with something else. It's fine if you want to try to make it as a pro musician, some people do actually make it, but I would advise a fallback plan such as business, education, law, medicine, research, whatever.

Speaking of fallback plans, I know a guy who is a great guitarist. His day job? He does Biochemistry research. I don't know what your interests are, but keep in mind that most musicians do not make it and a back-up plan does not guarantee failure in your primary goal.
Quote by mjkshreds
I want to eventually end up going to college for guitar. I wanted to know if anyone has tips on things that I should learn in order to get in. I know how to read music and I know many Jazz chords and about 10 or so scales.
Expanding on what the exalted BGC said, if you know the 1 scale in different keys (Amajor, B major so on) than your not really learning scales, but (i assume) just shapes. By learning scales your learning their formulas and so on. In which case the only stable-ish scales are major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor and pentatonics.
To counter my point about prelminary knowledge, you aren't expected to know everything upon entering college. They do teach you there.

If you're interested in what music schools require to enter, get on their websites and look at entrance requirements.