So, I want to play guitar. My only experince so far is dabbling a little on a "First Act" guitar I bought from walmart last year for $30. Funny thing though, I sold it to a pawn shop for 50...after quickly losing intrest in it and because of work and school.

BUT, I want to get it another shot, because I just have the urge to learn to play.

I didnt have MUCH to spend at all ($100); but I was anxious to get started. So I ordered a guitar from Musican's friend. And I grabbed some picks and extra strings. My question is: Will this be ok to get me started? Or would I have been better off with buying another lil' first act? LoL boo hoo....if so. Lemme know

This guitar (went with the black one):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=511192

These strings (I randomly picked a pack, just to have a back up..are they ok?):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ings?sku=100056

And, these picks (I wanted some diversity to try out and this sounded like fun):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Pack?sku=110448

Soooooooooooooooo...will this be ok to get me started?

Thanks
Current Status: A complete noob who is learning the basics on his first guitar.
Your links are down. They go to the MF main page.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
yeah fix those links if your lazy you could just say the brands of the guitar and strings. picks dont really matter
Well I'm happy you switched from FirstAct. As a general rule of thumb... Friends don't let friends play FirstActs. As for is it good enough to get you started, yes. When you get better and play more guitars you'll want to upgrade for sure, but it's a good start.
I dunno when I go back and play the old First Act I had I realized what a pos it was. THe action is insanely hard most of the neck hadn't even been sanded and left cuts all over my fingers, and it would go horribly out of tune all the time. For $100 dollars I'm sure you got something much better, whatever it is.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
For 100 you don't have alot to choose from, but your choices will always be better than a First Act. Ibanez has some pretty decent guitars for their cheaper ones.
I don't know why the links didn't work. But the guitar is Rogue RA-100D Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar. And the extra strings I got are called Martin MSP4100 Phosphor Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar Strings.
Well really any guitar is fine to get started, if you're just starting to play, then the type of guitar is not really a big deal. But if you got one for $100 then it sounds like a good deal. I'd invest in some books if you have the money.
Quote by TNA
Well really any guitar is fine to get started, if you're just starting to play, then the type of guitar is not really a big deal. But if you got one for $100 then it sounds like a good deal. I'd invest in some books if you have the money.

which book is good?
No suggestion for good books for beginer?
There's so much stuff on the internet these days.
Click on the lessons tab at the top of the page and have a look through a few on those.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by Ragekai
No suggestion for good books for beginer?

not a book, but
the one in my sig is awesome
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Ok....If I get this guitar and the action is way too high (as many people have said it is in soem cases). How much would it cost me, roughly, to take it to a shop and get a set-up to reduce the action?
Well the guitar is out for delivery this morning, so I should get it any minute now. Anything in particular I should look for when I first open'er up?
If you're just starting, nothing matters. As long as you have a tuned playable guitar and some motivation you can learn.
Maybe learn some chords, may I suggest, G, D, C, and Aminor. You'll be able to play half of Bob Dylans songs after that
Quote by UltimateDud
Maybe learn some chords, may I suggest, G, D, C, and Aminor. You'll be able to play half of Bob Dylans songs after that

haha +1, so very true.

in terms of a book you should go to any music store and pick basically any beginner guitar book. From my experience they all seem to follow a basic layout, just that some favour a certain genre of music. They usually will teach you all your basic notes in 1st position (basically your first 4 frets) and it just continues from there.

Also i think you shouldve stuck with the First Act guitar. If you can one day learn to play insane solos on THAT, then when you finally upgrade your guitar you will become a legend.