i have a marshall mg100 half stack, a dean razorback (high end with dimebucker), a dunlop original cry baby and a dime distortion pedal. ive gotten really good at squealin every which way, but i cant get it to sound as distorted and cool as dime's and most people on youtube. i have about 120 to spend and im lookin to get more equipment. so what would be best to get that cool tone of squeal dime has?
Sell the MG. Save up for a Peavey 5150/6505.

Sell the distortion pedal, buy an overdrive pedal (a Metal Muff).

Then, you will get a good sound.

BTW, Dime's tone was really poor.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i think he has a signature wah out?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Oh, and this should be in Guitar Gear & Accessories.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Yeah, MGs are horrible tone wise. It doesn't seem like you made a good decision buying a high end guitar when your amp is crap. A 5150 or a 6505 might be way out of your price range, but at least get a lower-mid level tube amp.

And dimebuckers are pretty bad pickups. That won't help you a lot. But the amp is the most important part.
are there any pedals i should get for better sound besides distortion and wah?
Pedals will not help your tone. I don't know why people think that there's pedal out there that will magically make their cheap solid state amp sound good. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but when we say good amp = good tone, we're not kidding.

If you can't spend that much money, just work with EQing the Marshall amp, maybe add the distortion pedal if you can't get anything out of the amp alone (I'm not a fan of distortion pedals), and don't overload on the gain/dist.
thanks for all the help everyone, i cant get much outta my parents (16 here) so il have to save up for better equipment, and sorry for posting in the wrong section, im new here.
Nah, at least you aren't getting all pissy like the deathxcorex kid that was here, whew boy he was bad.

Like I said, a used Peavey 5150 can go anywhere from 250-600 USD on eBay.

Quote by eggsandham2
yeah man, i make 20 bucks a week teaching my dads friends kid guitar, so anything nice i gotta spend my own money. but despite my crappy amp im still looking to buy something nice, and effects wise, any suggestions?
Hmm.

A delay pedal would be a nice addition (I dunno, a DigiDelay?)

and

A chorus pedal, to give some extra beef to cleans.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by I,Voyager
Pedals will not help your tone. I don't know why people think that there's pedal out there that will magically make their cheap solid state amp sound good. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but when we say good amp = good tone, we're not kidding.

I don't agree with this. If you're a guy like me with a $300 practice amp and a Jackson guitar, the default tones the amp puts out are mediocre. My $50 pedal lets me record songs that I'm actually proud of, they sound damn good.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
I'd say stop trying cause Dime sucked.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

If you sell most of your stuff and save up more money, maybe something by Krank?

Meh, I don't know, I have a 50 dollar tom lee brand amp, a made in India Jack JS20, and a metal muff. :/
Quote by slayerbizkit
I don't agree with this. If you're a guy like me with a $300 practice amp and a Jackson guitar, the default tones the amp puts out are mediocre. My $50 pedal lets me record songs that I'm actually proud of, they sound damn good.

If you can't get a tone you're happy with out of a $300 practice amp, that must have been a pretty bad buy. There are plenty of solid $300 dollar practice amps out there (I doubt many of them are worthy live playing/ studio recordings, but suitable for practicing and home recording).

I could maybe agree with you if you had spent $150 or less on your amp, since some of those are so bare bones that some sort of pedal is needed for any amount of tone or flavoring, but otherwise, meh.

another possible exception to this would be some line6 stuff, like the more expensive Spiders or Pods, I've been genuinely surprised at some of the things they are capable of.
Quote by I,Voyager

If you can't spend that much money, just work with EQing the Marshall amp, maybe add the distortion pedal if you can't get anything out of the amp alone (I'm not a fan of distortion pedals), and don't overload on the gain/dist.

I have to disagree with you there, man. I own an MG also (not very proud of it) and it can sound pretty decent with a good distortion and some delay. I have recently upgraded to a tube amp, but I still own my MG and plan to sell t in a couple of months for a Line 6 Flextone for practicing and stuff. Yes, pedals can make your amp sound somewhat better, but it's just better to have a great amp, because you are really missing out.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
^ I actually don't think you are disagreeing with me...you have a bad amp, and you use a pedal to get a "pretty decent" sound out of it. And you go on to say that a good amp will give you a good tone.

All I was saying is that you can't take a bad amp, plug in a pedal, and give yourself a great tone comparable to something out of a nice amp. I didn't mean that pedal's can't make a cheap amp sound better than it would without said pedal, even though I personally prefer to not load up on distortion pedals that just fuzzify your tone.

But when it comes down to it, tone is something that's 100% opinion.
Quote by I,Voyager
^ I actually don't think you are disagreeing with me...you have a bad amp, and you use a pedal to get a "pretty decent" sound out of it. And you go on to say that a good amp will give you a good tone.

All I was saying is that you can't take a bad amp, plug in a pedal, and give yourself a great tone comparable to something out of a nice amp. I didn't mean that pedal's can't make a cheap amp sound better than it would without said pedal, even though I personally prefer to not load up on distortion pedals that just fuzzify your tone.

But when it comes down to it, tone is something that's 100% opinion.

I guess your right, haha! I guess I read your post as a "no hope for MG's" type comment. Although, there is very little hope, they can sound decent....like I said.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!