Page 1 of 2
okay after much debating I've come down to this, give me any suggestions

guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

the guitar is 300 at my local guitar center, 300 is the limit for the guitar and I wouldn't like to go too far over 100 on the amp.

ANY input is appreciated, if I am in the complete wrong direction then somebody call me an idiot and point me the right way, I won't get offended.
dont get a spider, and spend more money on the amp than the guitar.
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
ESP LTD's make good begging metal guitars. They have some decent stuff for 400 & under. Amp wise maybe check a ROland Cube . they are only 100. Well thats my input. Hope it helps.
Gear
-----------
LTD M-1000 (soon)
LTD EC-400
LTD F-50
Spider II 112
I vote yes on the Epiphone.

Take a look at the Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cube amps if you insist on a modelling amp, or look at perhaps the Peavey Valveking, Windsor Studio, or maybe the Epiphone Valve series or the Blackheart offerings...
Tube for the win!
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
For an amp, look at Valvetronix, Blackheart, valveking, or cube.

You could get that guitar (which BTW is great, but you may find the neck a little large), but you'd be left with a dearth amount for a decent amp, it's usually a given to spend more on amp than guitar.
I would recommend a 15wat vox valvetronix, but its $200. Best amp I know of in the price range.
Your amp and guitar budget are backwards. Go 150 for guitar and 250 for a better amp. NO SPIDERS.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Despite popular belief, Spiders are fine for practicing. I would not use them for live shows though
I have to go against the popular vote of paying more for the amp.
Sure, I know cheap amps sound bad, but you really, REALLY don't want a cheap guitar.
My first strat copy had VERY sharp frets, to the point where they would cut my fingers occasionally.
Really, spend a bit more on a guitar that is comfortable to play, and worry about the tone from your amp later, when you get better.
What kind of metal are you talking?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Crane965
Sure, I know cheap amps sound bad, but you really, REALLY don't want a cheap guitar.
My first strat copy had VERY sharp frets, to the point where they would cut my fingers occasionally.
Really, spend a bit more on a guitar that is comfortable to play, and worry about the tone from your amp later, when you get better.

I actually wrote part of what you said out and then deleted it.

A beginner is going to get a better amp eventually, but if he already has a good guitar, he only has to upgrade one thing.

Instead, if he has a low budget amp and a low budget guitar, he has to buy both again.

But I do agree you can usually get over a bad guitar, but a bad amp is unsalable.

So I don't think it matters either way.
Beginners are usually to busy buzzing to notice their tone, anyway.
thanks for the help guys.

My situation is that my girlfriend is insisting on buying me the guitar, obviously she'd rather buy me the shiny guitar than the amp. I only have about a hundred bucks for the amp and she is willing to pay 300 for a guitar and we went to guitar center and decided on that epi sg.

My thinking is that for now I'm just going to be practicing in my house, so there is no need for a great amp, but if I do for some reason get serious and need to buy a better amp, I'll do so. This way I'll already have a guitar that isn't awful.

I'm new to all of this so if there is any way you guys could help me out it would be appreciated.
Quote by Crane965

I totally agree. You don't want a "decent" guitar and a "decent" amp, or team up a great amp with a trashy guitar. Get a good quality guitar that is comfortable to play first, then you can worry about the sound later when you have money for a better amp
I have the Omen 6 and it's great. But that SG might be better.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Xeroxed
I have the Omen 6 and it's great. But that SG might be better.

Yeah, and the Ibanez has a great neck. Plays fast, I almost bought one until my insurance we up recently.
So I think you'll be good with any of the three.
Quote by podliver
I totally agree. You don't want a "decent" guitar and a "decent" amp, or team up a great amp with a trashy guitar. Get a good quality guitar that is comfortable to play first, then you can worry about the sound later when you have money for a better amp

Dear GOD!!! I've been saying that in so many of these topics - FINALLY!!! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!

Will you marry me?!?!

But seriously TC, I'd go for that Epi you selected and then get a Roland Cube. They're not the best, but as soon as your ears can pick up differences in tone - which they'll learn without you even attempting - you'll realize that amp has a terrible tone to it, and it really cracks up if you ever want to crank it up and jam.
Quote by edusty2010
Dear GOD!!! I've been saying that in so many of these topics - FINALLY!!! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!

Will you marry me?!?!

But seriously TC, I'd go for that Epi you selected and then get a Roland Cube. They're not the best, but as soon as your ears can pick up differences in tone - which they'll learn without you even attempting - you'll realize that amp has a terrible tone to it, and it really cracks up if you ever want to crank it up and jam.

thanks for the help. I've pretty much come down to the epi and a roland cube. I'm glad I made this post, or else I would have got that spider.

once again, thanks for the help fellas.
Quote by JohnCarbz
thanks for the help. I've pretty much come down to the epi and a roland cube. I'm glad I made this post, or else I would have got that spider.

once again, thanks for the help fellas.

dont know if ure serious? get good [ick ups on ure guitar man, stock epi's suck... i have some, just bought 2 new pick ups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2EX2-Electric-Guitar?sku=518872

Get that one. Good Seymour Duncan pick ups, nice inlays, good colouring (you can get one that looks like a LP), amazing price. It's worth $700!
Quote by dustyboy316
dont know if ure serious? get good [ick ups on ure guitar man, stock epi's suck... i have some, just bought 2 new pick ups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2EX2-Electric-Guitar?sku=518872

Get that one. Good Seymour Duncan pick ups, nice inlays, good colouring (you can get one that looks like a LP), amazing price. It's worth $700!

thanks for the first part of the post but way to completely ignore the fact that I said I had a 300 dollar limit. At least you read my post first.
go for the omen.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by JohnCarbz
thanks for the first part of the post but way to completely ignore the fact that I said I had a 300 dollar limit. At least you read my post first.

you don't need to be a dick. I actuallyt thought this was another thread, I was just trying to help...
Quote by dustyboy316
you don't need to be a dick. I actuallyt thought this was another thread, I was just trying to help...

I apologize, that is just a pet peeve of mine.
Honestly, don't get a spider.
They're ok.
But you can do better.

I say you go with
Ibanez RG2EX1
Roland Cube 15W or MicroCube.

But if you want to start out right.
Black heart Half stack
With effects pedal.

I'm selling my spider to get a Black heart.
But if you want my Spider ($180) PM me.
Quote by edusty2010

Will you marry me?!?!

No problem, I've always wondered why people say to get a bad guitar but a really nice amp...doesn't make much sense at all to me. I mean, the guitar is the actual INSTRUMENT itself. It's kind of like saying, "Oh no, buy those $800 speakers and then buy some cheap, bad quality MP3 player to hook up to them"

Just how I see it anyway
Quote by JohnCarbz
okay after much debating I've come down to this, give me any suggestions

guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

the guitar is 300 at my local guitar center, 300 is the limit for the guitar and I wouldn't like to go too far over 100 on the amp.

ANY input is appreciated, if I am in the complete wrong direction then somebody call me an idiot and point me the right way, I won't get offended.
I'm selling that exact guitar right now if you're interested.
For an amp I would say get a VOX DA5! Probably in my opinion the best begginer/practice amp! PERIOD!
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
If you're just starting out brand new, I'd say get a better guitar instead of amp contrary to the others out there, if you get a bad guitar, it'll be difficult to play and when starting a technical genre like metal, you're going to want to be the most comfortable you can be. As for now, your tone won't really matter until you're sure you're into metal and are going to stick in it for the long term, you won't want a metal amp when you decide to go jazz unless the amp's versatile.

I personally wouldn't go for a VOX ADVT series if you're doing metal, I have one and the "metal" tones are quite brittle and hollow, but the clean tone Boutique (spelling?) CL is beautiful. I'd suggest a Roland Cube or a Peavey, but you're going to find it hard to find one for 100 bucks.
ibanez rg321mh and roland cube
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
go for a peavy rage 158 amp. and pawn shop it get something better then a epiphone sg, they are gay and they should all die
Page 1 of 2