Page 1 of 2
Alright, first of all, I know there are a billion Valveking threads. But I want to know the pros and cons of the Valveking 112 vs the 212. I play metal, mainly thrash, (Megadeth, Metallica, Testament) and I like the amp. I am not in a band, and will not be gigging, but I am looking to start/join one. It will be a practice amp.

If you have any other recommendations, don't hesitate to say so.
Quote by DashBlaster
Alright, first of all, I know there are a billion Valveking threads. But I want to know the pros and cons of the Valveking 112 vs the 212. I play metal, mainly thrash, (Megadeth, Metallica, Testament) and I like the amp. I am not in a band, and will not be gigging, but I am looking to start/join one. It will be a practice amp.

If you have any other recommendations, don't hesitate to say so.

the 50 watt's all tube of the 112 is all you'll ever need for gigging...

get the 112 and a speaker+tube swap, instead of the 212

+1000000000000 times better

EDIT: unnecessary quote?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Randall RG50TC?
It's a bit more expensive, but you should be able to find a used one (atleast I could)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I play thrash and to get the tone I liked out of it without a pedal I had to turn it up a bit, and my grandpa did not appreciate that.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by darkarbiter7
Randall RG50TC?
It's a bit more expensive, but you should be able to find a used one (atleast I could)
+1 if you don't want cleans
you bought one?!

since when! you never made a new amp thread with amp pr0n, and sound clips.

shame on you...

actually, it seems like you're just saying that you found one used like just now looking lol, now that i reread you're post... oh well

+1
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
you bought one?!

shame on you...

actually, it seems like you're just saying that you found one used like just now looking lol, now that i reread you're post... oh well

+1

Yeah... I FOUND one used, I didn't buy it.
Lol.
It rocked my socks though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thrash is one thing these amps excell at so your good there.

I would go with the 212, because you have more options... And when playing thrash you really have to tweak the resonance and presence knobs.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah... I FOUND one used, I didn't buy it.
Lol.
It rocked my socks though.

haha that's what i thought at the end, i couldn't see you playing metal...

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thrash is one thing these amps excell at so your good there.

I would go with the 212, because you have more options... And when playing thrash you really have to tweak the resonance and presence knobs.

dude, he's using it for practice, and maybe gigs later... 212 is overkill, he could just get a pedal to change the tone, besides the 112 with speaker+tube swap is WAYY better than the 212 stock...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^Why is the 112+speaker and tube change better than the 212 stock? What about the 212 with a speaker and tube change? Is 50 Watts really enough for a gig and band practice? Can it match a drumset in terms of volume?
Quote by DashBlaster
^Why is the 112+speaker and tube change better than the 212 stock? What about the 212 with a speaker and tube change? Is 50 Watts really enough for a gig and band practice? Can it match a drumset in terms of volume?

the stock speakers in valvekings are kind of muddy, not very good speakers, putting like eminence or celestion speakers in really makes it sounds better, and tubes is the same as the speaker...

the 50 watts is definitely enough for a gig, it's kind of a waste of money for the 212. Have you ever played a 50 watt tube amp?

guessing not.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
haha that's what i thought at the end, i couldn't see you playing metal...

dude, he's using it for practice, and maybe gigs later... 212 is overkill, he could just get a pedal to change the tone, besides the 112 with speaker+tube swap is WAYY better than the 212 stock...

Even 50 Watts is overkill.. Trips me out when people here are like dont get a 100 watts get the 50 watt model. As far as volume there both super overkill for bedroom use if cranked. And for gigs your usually mic'ed up so 5 watts would even be fine to roll with. You cant take a 50 watt model anywere near its sweet spot so what does it even matter if both amps are impossible to us to there full potential. I say if your already over the line you just as soon get the top of the line model so you can get all the bells and whistles..

Also id rather have the option to be too loud then not loud enough. Because there is that chance the gig doesnt have a pa system and 1x12 aint gonna move enough air to fill the room. Or if your playing an outside venue and then what... I can always turn my volume down
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 13, 2008,
Quote by DashBlaster
^So the top of the line model would be...

And how do these amps compare in terms of headroom?

212 model is the higher model because you have control over your presence and resonance which you will come to love...
Oh, you're right, the 112 doesn't have the presence and resonance knobs. I hate to be a n00b, but what do those do, and why are they important for thrash?
Quote by DashBlaster
Oh, you're right, the 112 doesn't have the presence and resonance knobs. I hate to be a n00b, but what do those do, and why are they important for thrash?

Gives your more control of your sound.... presence(top end harmonics) resonance(tightens and lossens low end)

Example take metallica's settings they usually have there presence set at 9 and being they use Mesa's there low end is pretty loose. So with a few tweaks and eq adjustments your can get pretty darn close to metallicas tone.
didn't someone say a while back that if you disconnect the reverb pan the reverb knob becomes a presence one? i guess that is easy to check. uuummm.

and the 112 has an A to A/B power switch (i guess that is not resonance) which i'm just trying to 'hear' but maybe IbanezPsycho has some thoughts on this (these).

and man alive 50 watts is obviously enough for me but i don't play live, plus i don't think you can hook up a 112 to another cab, it will cut the original speaker out (which may be good thing ha)

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
didn't someone say a while back that if you disconnect the reverb pan the reverb knob becomes a presence one? i guess that is easy to check. uuummm.

and the 112 has an A to A/B power switch (i guess that is not resonance) which i'm just trying to 'hear' but maybe IbanezPsycho has some thoughts on this (these).

and man alive 50 watts is obviously enough for me but i don't play live, plus i don't think you can hook up a 112 to another cab, it will cut the original speaker out (which may be good thing ha)

;

Havent heard anything about the reverb tank mod. I know people were adding prescence knobs to them though.

Is it a switch or a knob for the Power/Texture controls. I prefer the knob so you can fine tune the saturation point. Heres some info on the texture knob...

"ValveKings are true Class A/B amps. As you move the Texture knob, half of the power tubes are phased out and the gain of the driver tube (the last preamp tube in the circuit) is increased. This results in killer distortion and breakup without the need for increased volume. "

Also it makes a pretty big difference in the amps tone...
Hey IbanezPsycho do you think I should get the Valve king or Randall RG50TC?
I'm playing ina ska band right now , kinda of reggae ish, but I also play metal. I need it for gigs.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Havent heard anything about the reverb tank mod. I know people were adding prescence knobs to them though.

Is it a switch or a knob for the Power/Texture controls. I prefer the knob so you can fine tune the saturation point. Heres some info on the texture knob...

"ValveKings are true Class A/B amps. As you move the Texture knob, half of the power tubes are phased out and the gain of the driver tube (the last preamp tube in the circuit) is increased. This results in killer distortion and breakup without the need for increased volume. "

Also it makes a pretty big difference in the amps tone...

not sure on pan
yes on knob - as you know
yes 212 has it too - i was getting at the warmth factor, maybe because it is on the back i'm just now getting to it lol
and tnx

i do like how i can gain it up and track with volume to get break up quickly without waking up the kids.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not sure on pan
yes on knob - as you know
yes 212 has it too - i was getting at the warmth factor, maybe because it is on the back i'm just now getting to it lol
and tnx

i do like how i can gain it up and track with volume to get break up quickly without waking up the kids.

;

What style of music do you play?
I have to start by saying I really hate Valuekings, but I would like to voice my opinion here. I think you should go with the 2X12 100w. Yes there is little difference in overall volume between 50 and 100w. You will have more headroom with the 100. You might not be able to crank it all the time, (you wont be able to crank a 50w all the time either) but when you do, you will be glad you have the extra wattage headroom and speaker.

Like someone said, in reality they are both overkill, but if you get the chance to play loud once in a while, then you will use the 100w at some point. Besides they make power brakes so you can reach the sweet spot easier.

If you get the 1X12, you will at some point say, I wish I got the 2X12. If you get the 2X12 you will never say, man I wish I got the 1X12, know what I mean.

Now on another note, have you looked into the B52's. They are much better amps. Unlike the Valueking, they do not require a speaker AND tube change to sound decent. You can get the 2X12 combo with V30's for like $750 new. They also have more gain and a better EQ then the VK. My friend has a VK, and neither one of us can get good tones from it. It is stock so it is muddy and using the gain over 7 makes it worst. He has the 2X12 version. At the moment he cant afford 2 V30's($250) and tubes($150) to make it better so we both laugh at it and he will plug into my amp.

I hope I helped a little and good luck with your amp choice. Play everything buy what you like the best. And use Guitar centers 30 day money back guarantee.
Quote by DashBlaster
What style of music do you play?

well i like to TRY and replicate anything from a John Mayor or Froosh clean to a dirtier Slash or Page sound...as well as Megadeth and Metallica.

the sweet spot for this amp is that it can get most of this with an upgrade or pedal but prolly cannot touch a B52 or Randall. It can't touch a Fender either but again - it's ...$400

i would never be able to set gain at 7 without things starting to shatter, so listen to Ninja's advice above because he makes some good points and others that are recommending something else.

Don't forget used and craigslist.com if you are in budget mode, which is what i am in.

;
Quote by unknownpunkrock
Hey IbanezPsycho do you think I should get the Valve king or Randall RG50TC?
I'm playing ina ska band right now , kinda of reggae ish, but I also play metal. I need it for gigs.

Haven't played on it but if its a Randall its usually good.. Find some sound clips online and compare and read reviews...
The volume you can achieve from the 212 vs the 112 is roughly the same (read here if you don't believe me: http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoscience/a/jargon1.htm). I recently compared both and liked the sound of the 212 more than that of the 112 but that is going to depend on each person. However I just wanted to add that 100 watts vs 50 watts should not make the decision for you because in terms of volume they are more or less the same. Also I highly recommend you try out anything before you buy it and try things you would never consider because you might just find something you really like but didn't consider. Go to a store, ask to try some amps and have fun.
Last edited by sewerbeing at May 14, 2008,
Also a side note... Dont try to make an amp something its not, research and play the hell out of it.. I did that with the VK, i thought i could get a modern tone out of it and failed and hated it the whole time. Once i stopped trying to make it something its not i really enjoy the amp now and get some really decent metallica and even lamb of god tones out of it now.

So just remember that dont ever bet on an amp being able to play something unless you can get that tone out of it at the store...
+1 - except that it can take an amp some time to 'break in' i suppose so shop, whenever possible, at a place with a 30 day return/exchange - like GC.

i know that is not helping out Aussie friends and others but do if you can.

not sure about Randall but the VK def takes time to dial in imo.

;
Quote by unknownpunkrock
Hey ninja what do you think of the Randall RG50TC?

I am sorry, I never got to use one. But like someone else said Randall makes good stuff, so I don't know. Cant help you there.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 - except that it can take an amp some time to 'break in' i suppose so shop, whenever possible, at a place with a 30 day return/exchange - like GC.

i know that is not helping out Aussie friends and others but do if you can.

not sure about Randall but the VK def takes time to dial in imo.

;

+1

And heres the secrets to dialing in a VK... never take the Treble past 5 usually keep it at about 4-4.5 then for the mids i wouldn't take past 8-9 they tend to get pretty harsh as well and lows just do the normal haven't found any faults in it..

Presence and resonance tune as normal. Presence high end harmonics, Resonance tight low end or loose low end.

Texture knob adjusts saturation points. From what I noticed all the way to the right tight and crisp sound think thrash tone. All the way to the left more loose and modern.

Vk also loves a OD set at Gain 0 Level 10

And about the heaviest metal it can do is Lamb of god.

Also another note think of it as a mesa with 6L6's but alot muddier on the top end and low end and mids not so good. Not perfect but it is doable.
yepper Ibanez ; )

my treble right now is at 4
mid 5
bass 7

still trying to hear Texture A - A/B knob variance

EDIT: Yes I like the tight mode better than loose

yes i need an OD or EQ

yes on tubes, and will do a ton of research when i get ready, but i think a speaker is in order first, but i can hear what others are saying about cheap stock speaker needing a little time to get there.

oh, and i tried disconnecting the reverb pan and it just turned off the reverb so not sure what to say about that.

ha

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 14, 2008,
Yea the reverb thing probably got started because for some reason it adds a hell of alot of treble to your sound. Which does suck pretty bad unless you looking to brighten up your cleans quite a bit..
I was actually rather impressed with the stock VK 112 at my local store.
I was just fooling around while I was waiting to go to the next of a series of stores where I looked for my next amp at.
The cleans were good to my ears, and it was very adjustable (atleast adjustable compared to my oldschool styled amps). The OD I wasn't a fan of, but seeing as I use little OD, it didn't seem to matter.
If they had like a 30 watt version, I probably would have bought it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
+2 ^^

yeah, that clip is pretty sweet.

i can hear that in my amp but i can't play like that but if you compare that to some of the brOOtlz i've heard on it too, it really gives you a sense of what this amp is like stock.

it's not a Fender. It'n not a randall. it's a decent $400 amp that is pretty versitle.

and yes a 30wattr version would be the absolute sweet spot for me.

night

;
Quote by danyellenik
you bought one?!

shame on you...

Heynow. If I made a thread for every new amp I picked up, we'd need another sub-forum. Not because I'm a rich bastard with tons of money, but because I trade and sell gear around a lot.
Page 1 of 2