I on really tight budget but after my gig today
I now know I need some In ears,
I play bass and today on our 7th Song I messed up really badly Losing my timing,
This was all because I could not hear the keys,
on stage i only can hear the drum and bass, but in this song there where loads of gaps with out drums.
any advice on in ear monitors cheap but can hear drums keys bass and guitar if possible vocals arent needed to much because i have never been able to hear them anyway and dont need them for timmings.
Unless you got someone whose really good on the pa in ears don't work that great. Think of it you have to have a perfect monitor mix all levels equal for them to work well.Just have them bump some more keys thru your monitor.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
yeah but we dont get a sound check
and everyone has to share monitors and where I am on stage the bass amp and drum overpowers my nearest monitor. with in ears i can tell who ever doing sound what I need eg mainly keys and Drums and some guitar and little vocals. they sort out back stage while current band on and it sorted.
Its cheaper to buy a dedicated monitor than it is to screw around with the in ears. And what kind of a band doesn't get a sound check?
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
bands that plays every week for college 10 of them
one gets to which will be settings used for the rest of the night with
slight varitions during the night.
monitor mixes are always a problem and you can never hear keys. and the drums always over power everything, on stage so unless you right by the monitor you hear drums only.
Sorry thought you had a sound man.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
In ears are IMO if you are on a big stage and move around a lot, what you need is a better monitor mix from the sound people. Even if you use in ears you still won't hear the keys if theres a bad mix coming from the board.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
as everyone is saying the soundman has to be on top of everything in order for the in ears to be great.

I've played with both stage monitors and in ear monitors and I prefer in ear (when the mix is proper), but when everything is done well stage monitors are great.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by jayoel
I on really tight budget but after my gig today
I now know I need some In ears,
I play bass and today on our 7th Song I messed up really badly Losing my timing,
This was all because I could not hear the keys,
on stage i only can hear the drum and bass, but in this song there where loads of gaps with out drums.
any advice on in ear monitors cheap but can hear drums keys bass and guitar if possible vocals arent needed to much because i have never been able to hear them anyway and dont need them for timmings.

get in ears here is what you need

noise reducing sennheiser headphones (best quality/value)
extention 5m cable for ipod/headphones (or you can use a guitar cable i think and use small to big adapters
headphone 4/5 channel amp to change mixes

this way the soundman can be a retard as long as you tell him to plug yourself into the aux out thats it.
Last edited by tuwyci at May 13, 2008,
Thats not a tight budget idea.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
You should get a line mixer/headphone amp so you can make your own mix. This way you are not relying on the guy on the mixer that day. This will also allow you to change the mix to your preference.

For the record though, I like the Shure SCL2 IEMs
Last edited by moody07747 at May 13, 2008,
Quote by modernp
Thats not a tight budget idea.

just did it it cost me

$30 mixer
$30 for headphones
$30 for cables
If you are on a tight budget....in-ears are out of the question....

Either save up some cash, or do what ^^^ that guy said.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by jayoel
bands that plays every week for college 10 of them
one gets to which will be settings used for the rest of the night with
slight varitions during the night.
monitor mixes are always a problem and you can never hear keys. and the drums always over power everything, on stage so unless you right by the monitor you hear drums only.

I thought the drums weren't playing during the part you are concerned about.