Me and my brother are in our church's worship band, where he plays an acoustic-electric guitar and I play electric bass. I usually play off my own puny little practice amp. However, we got a mixer and new amazing speakers, and I was curious if we could both plug our guitars into the mixer.

I ask this because I've seen and heard about the horror stories of the "bass plugged into a guitar amp" and just checking if the same things apply.
plugging a bass into a mixer works, so will a guitar but you can lose tone
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
If he has a little starter amp, the mixer will probably give him much better tone. My brother bought a little 8 channel mixing board a few days ago and it sounds amazingly better to direct inject than to go through my little practice amp.
use the mixer. It will be more versatile than a tiny practice amp, and it will be audible.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You should go straight into the mixer, he needs to mic his amp. Bass sounds great through a mixer, guitars sound like crap. Trust me.

EDIT: Oh wait, he has an acoustic electric, he can just go straight in along with you and you're both set.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at May 14, 2008,
Mixers tend to come out through big speakers, which can cope just fine with basses. Don't worry about causing harm, your only concern should be your tone. If you've got a reasonable bass, though, that shouldn't be a problem.