I always thought name-brand cables were better, but the other day, i made a cable out of some old scrap pieces in my house, and it sounds better than a Live Wire cable i borrowed from a friend. It's pretty cool.

The cable i used was a little cable, but i used a 1/4" plug on the end, and the whole's huge, so i'm just being easy on it, but i was wondering, are there any good brands to get GOOD cables, not the whole thing, just a big strand of cable? I want to make my own, but this little crappy one sounds better than the big LiveWire one, so i don't want to get a bad cable and it sound bad.

So, like i asked before, is there a good CABLE brand anyone recommends?
O O

___
So you're wanting high quality cable [in bulk] that you can cut to make custom cables?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
yeah, that's exaclty what i'm looking for...

a little cheaper though. that thing's 50 bucks!
O O

___
oh, probably no more than 50 feet.

Would Ace hardware have it, because if they do, i'd try buying a little of it, see how it works out. it's got to be cheaper than all this namebrand stuff. this stuff's expensive.
O O

___
Quality is shielding and materials used when it comes to cables.

Heres what you want..
Good sheilding that can withstand anything and keep noise in and out.
Wire that wont oxidize.
Good connecters.

Give me that and im happy... Best cables i have found so far are these and there cheap as well....

QUANTUM 10 FOOT INSTRUMENT CABLE
Cable is both durable and has exceptional audio fidelity. Oxygen free copper core offers very low noise and great sound. 95% coverage shield that protects your signal and has G&H connectors with a right angle 1/4" plug at one end.

He's wanting to make his own cables though.

ACE hardware may have it. You may want to call ahead and check with them.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Lava Cables!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Blue Jeans Cable ftw. You want the Belden cable, if I remember right. Canare F connectors if you want them to send some connectors along with. Great prices too.
Two side notes:
1) There's a FAQ on there that dispels a number of interesting cable myths... Here Save yourself some money next time you buy cable with some of that knowledge (most but not all of it applies to instrument cable).
2) Did anybody hear about the lawsuit Monster Cable tried to slam on this guy? Turns out the guy who runs BJC is an ex-lawyer who specialized in litigation. The letter he sent back to them is priceless. Original article The response
Turns out Monster has made a habit of this kind of lawsuit, but this time I think they shot themselves in the foot. It was all over the tech websites for a while. Talk about publicity you couldn't pay to get... I know I'm never buying a Monster cable at the very least, and I'll check out BJC next time I need a cable of any kind, not just guitar cable. At least read it for laughs, I never knew law-speak could be so funny but there are some priceless lines in that letter.
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 13, 2008,
Quote by Nightfyre
Blue Jeans Cable ftw. You want the Belden cable, if I remember right. Canare F connectors if you want them to send some connectors along with. Great prices too.
Two side notes:
1) There's a FAQ on there that dispels a number of interesting cable myths... Here Save yourself some money next time you buy cable with some of that knowledge (most but not all of it applies to instrument cable).
2) Did anybody hear about the lawsuit Monster Cable tried to slam on this guy? Turns out the guy who runs BJC is an ex-lawyer who specialized in litigation. The letter he sent back to them is priceless. Original article The response
Turns out Monster has made a habit of this kind of lawsuit, but this time I think they shot themselves in the foot. It was all over the tech websites for a while. Talk about publicity you couldn't pay to get... I know I'm never buying a Monster cable at the very least, and I'll check out BJC next time I need a cable of any kind, not just guitar cable. At least read it for laughs, I never knew law-speak could be so funny but there are some priceless lines in that letter.

I forgot about that whole Blue Jean Cable thing! lol I remember reading about it when it first came out. I have heard good things about BJC also, but I had Lava cables before I ever heard about BJC.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Doubt ace will carry shielded bulk guitar cable. Not many places do. Its such a specialized item.
As far as what makes a cable "better sounding" than other cables comes down to a few factors. The signal conductor needs to be nice and conductive without being too thick, which can be more resistive and affect the strength of the signal. Shielding is important. A well-shielded cable will protect the signal from outside interference. A heavily shielded cable can also cause the cable to have a higher capacitance value, which will also affect the tone. A great cable has the right combination of signal wire thickness and a tight-weave braided shield that isn't too heavy.

For bulk cable, I've heard good things about Mogami.
get canare cables with neutrik plugs.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=10386
Canare GS-6 Cables
http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=10557
Neutrik Plug

i made orange cables out of them. 20' one sounds better than my 6' livewire.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by carpepax
As far as what makes a cable "better sounding" than other cables comes down to a few factors. The signal conductor needs to be nice and conductive without being too thick, which can be more resistive and affect the strength of the signal. Shielding is important. A well-shielded cable will protect the signal from outside interference. A heavily shielded cable can also cause the cable to have a higher capacitance value, which will also affect the tone. A great cable has the right combination of signal wire thickness and a tight-weave braided shield that isn't too heavy.

For bulk cable, I've heard good things about Mogami.

What do you know, I actually learned something useful in physics...
Resistance varies inversely with thickness. In other words, you want thick cable, just not so thick as to be inflexible.
Decent shielding is a good idea, though. Don't go overboard, but if you're picking up radio stations or have handling noise that isn't due to your guitar or amp jack being loose or badly wired, get something with a tad more shielding. Just don't get it so thick that it changes your tone.
I don't have any cables nor have I heard any that sound any better through my system:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey C30

I think most people just tell themselves one cable sounds better so they can justify spending a wad of cash. I do however strongly support spending a decent amount of money on cable for the build quality though.