hey everyone ,

just wondering if anyone had experience in getting the muted/filtered sound at the very beginning of the song American Idiot????

thank you!
Just a tremelo pedal.

EDIT!!!!

I'm so sorry. No tremolo. I read too fast and I thought you said Boulevard of broken dreams. Anyway, Ibanez makes a lo-fi tone-lok pedal. Pick up that guy.
Last edited by Zander155 at May 13, 2008,
tremolo??

volume??

wouldnt you use a eq or filter perhaps? the intro has a 'hollow' or mono sound to it..
Yeah, an EQ. it has no bass and not very much mids there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oh, do you mean where it sounds like its coming out of a tiny radio? ive heard an equalizer pedal can do that.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Is it like the AM radio tone? On a graphic EQ, thats just cut everything to 0 and boost like the 3 middlemost frequencies and play around with it.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I think it's basically a high pass filter, as in, take a EQ pedal and cut the bass out, and most of the mids. Fiddle with the mids and highs, but cut the lows. That's basically it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Bass - 5.
Treble - 6.
Mids - 2.
Gain - 10.
Volume - 0.
Signatures are overrated.
Ignore the people who say cut the mids for the filtered sound.
The filtered sound is ALL in the mids. But yeah, like that one guy said, EQ pedal, like barely any bass (if any) cut the highs a bit, and boost yer mids.
^ It sounds much more convincing if you cut everything but the treble, which you dime up.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Cut all the bass, you want to make it like a kind of gradual slope up on a GEQ pedal. It's to simulate boxiness, so you can't have much of many frequencies, and if you're finding it too piercing cut the treble a tad.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
high mids in a EQ pedal
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400