So I used to be into piano a lot, but i got away from it for some reason. I'm looking to buy an intermediate range keyboard, nothing outrageous, just something that can get the job done. I've been looking at these two.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-YPG225-76Key-Portable-Grand-Keyboard?sku=707460

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-WK3300-76-Key-Digital-Workstation-?sku=700461

As far as I know, both of these are good brands and from the reviews they sound like a good deal. But i'm not sure. Any feedback would be great, I don't know how many keys players there are on here but I thought i'd give it a shot.

Thanks
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
I own a casio keyboard, but not that exact model. Im not much of a keyboard player, but I say that ive had mine for over 9 years and it still works great, so thats a point to casio for longevity.
well. both are pretty damn well keyboards. seeing as ive had experience with both. but man, the yamaha is my choice. you cant go wrong with either one. have fun with it
Wow thanks for such quick replies guys. That's good news that you both have owned them and had good luck. Thanks, any more is welcome.
a plug for yamaha here: my college's keyboards, middle tennessee state university, are all yamaha - at least the electric keyboards anyway, they all sound great and get a beating from all of our music majors! all of the actual pianos are steinway - we are 1 of 4 school in the nation that is all steinway when it comes to our pianos
Quote by vortexpassion
vitalij Kuprij rules and so does Francisco from HolyHell

thanks for the relevance?

well the casio is pretty great in my opinion. i wanted something about what you're looking for and this is more than enough for me. plenty of options, and a good sound. the interface can be a little convoluted though, but the drawbar organ function is sweet and that much is easy to operate
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
Both of those are more or less toys, which is perfectly fine if you just want something to mess around on for fun. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to do any tracking or shows with them. You could probably get a used virtual analog that wouldn't be as versatile, but has some cool sounds and would be a little more "professional" for the same price if you're into vintage synth sounds.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Well, the most I would probably do with these show-wise is like smaller groups at my church or school or somethin where the piano isn't available, if I was going to do more gigs i'll end up getting a better one later on, but since I haven't played very much for probably 3 years, i'm really looking for something that I can get back into the swing of things and maybe lay down some decent drum tracks for my acoustic songs and add some piano. Both seems to be easily conncected to the computer so that doesn't look to be a problem but i'm not sure. Is it necessary to play these before buying or would it really matter that much?
My friend has the yamaha and its really nice but if you have a laptop I'd suggest getting a midi controller and downloading Reason.
Quote by Wayward_Son
Both of those are more or less toys, which is perfectly fine if you just want something to mess around on for fun. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to do any tracking or shows with them. You could probably get a used virtual analog that wouldn't be as versatile, but has some cool sounds and would be a little more "professional" for the same price if you're into vintage synth sounds.

+1

You really wont get any awesome sound out of this.
the casio seems to be the better of the two. You wanna make sure that you get a sustain pedal if you plan on playing a lot of piano type music as opposed to synthy stuff.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yes, I realize i'm not going to get an amazing sound out of this thing, i'm not good enough to spend any more than this on a keyboard right now, i'm primarily a guitarist but I want to get back into keyboard so I mean I think this is really all I need at the moment, if anyone has any more suggestions besides these two that are around the same price rang(i can go up a little) then by all means let me know please. As of now, these are the two i've found that seem to be what I am looking for.
You can get a nice used Roland on craigslist for the same price.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
You should definately learn the keyboard solo that the Dragonforce guy did on the song Limb from Limb by Protest the Hero, for that is the greatest keyboard solo of all time.
Casio are better than yamaha, and Korg are better than them both. Try and get a second hand korg triton if you can, they're expensive, or they have some cheaper midi controller ones.
Wow that Korg Triton is like 3 grand lol i was looking more around 300 lol id love to get a korg triton but i'm not that good yet and I really don't need something like that.
Quote by tremonti9482
Wow that Korg Triton is like 3 grand lol i was looking more around 300 lol id love to get a korg triton but i'm not that good yet and I really don't need something like that.

Well korg triton is like a sub-brand, you can get some of them cheaper I would imagine, I've seen them for cheaper.

Yamaha is a good brand to start with, make sure you get one with weighted keys...
Yeah the keys were another question, weighted is what I want so are the Casio or the yamaha weighted? How can I tell if i can't play it? That's probably a dumb question lol
Quote by tremonti9482
Yeah the keys were another question, weighted is what I want so are the Casio or the yamaha weighted? How can I tell if i can't play it? That's probably a dumb question lol

If you're in a shop, play it and you'll be able to tell. If you're buying online it ought to say in the description, if it doesn't perhaps email the webmasters to ask.
On Casio's site it doesn't say anything about whether or not the keys are weighted, it just says they are touch responsive and get louder and brighter if you press them harder. I would think that non-weighted keys would be a bad thing and would be mentioned in reviews, but they are not so I don't know if they are weighted or not.
I've played both of those keyboards and the YPG-225 is much easier to navigate and use.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Do they both have weighted keys? That's a question I have yet to find an answer to.
Neither of them have weighted keys if i recall correctly.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Is that a terribly bad thing? or is it really not such a big deal?