Hey i'm new to this so i just wanted to know where to start.I've learned a little about the frets,strings ,guitar part names {lol} yeah and a little about left and right hand techniques.

Could someone direct me to the basic basics or just help me out in what i'm to learn step by step?
i'll tell you how i started out, round 2 1/2 years ago.. just find some songs that you like. depending on what genre's you like, this could be easy, or very very difficult. at the time i liked pop/punk type stuff and that's just powerchords, so i learned those first, make sure you really stick with whatever you choose to do though, the beginning is the hardest i'd say
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
well it depends.Mainly on why style of music your wanting to play and what you want to accomplish as a guitarist. I started off Learning simple songs to build strength and dextierity in the fingers.
make sure you learn how to hold your pick correctly. some people want to "pinch" their pick when they first start, which makes alternate picking a mess, and have to re-learn how to pick strings.

i made this mistake haha
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
i can only suggest one thing...TABS!!!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Learn all of the open chords, find easy songs that you enjoy that use said chords. Get comfortable playing all of the chords and switching between them.
Well here are a few things you will want to do more than likely before you move on to more advanced techniques.

-do some research and make sure your not using any bad habits. as in keeping your thumb parallel, and as if your trying to connect your thumb and your middle finger together if there was not a fret board. Holding a pick correctly, and such.

-learn the easier open cords. A, C, D, E, G. I also learned the easy seventh cords. and Am, Dm, and Em cords.

-Some may not agree with me here, but within two weeks of me starting on the guitar, I started learning music theory. It may not be necessary for a while, but eventually I would say it is worth studying in the long run. The reason i started so early was because I am getting sick of paying attention in school so I just printed off articles and studied during class =P

-Alternate picking. Same with music theory, I started when I was at about two weeks worth of experience with the guitar.

I would say once you can do those you will be on the right track. But if I could stress anything, I would say make sure you do not have any bad habits. It will come and bite you later on and you will have to relearn everything.
you need some basic exercises to start working your hands, chromatic fingering exercises work well, make sure you use your pinky! learn some basic chords, like Am, C, G, D, and Em. learn how to read notations like tablature, chord diagrams, chord names, and scale diagrams. practice your rhythms, learn syncopations with your chords and practice changing chords. learn a few easy pop songs or something you hear on the radio. eventually learn some barred chords and a bunch more open chords. start practicing minor pentatonic and major scales. learn some blues progressions and practice improvisation. from then on it is up to you, that should keep you busy for a few monthes.
Thanks guys especially gumbilicious and gracekim.I kinda understood you better because you kept it basic and gave steps.
Don't skip your theory.
Learn to hold your pick correctly.
Learn to alternate pick, but don't abandon down picking all together.
Use your pinky. - This is a major that a few people I know didn't do from the start, and now struggle to do it.
Also, play to a metronome and try keep time - if you have good timing from the start, it will be a big benefit down the track.