The Rickenbacker 4003 bass has two input jacks, can someone explain to me what is the purpose of this.

Thanks in advanced.
Yeah, thats one of the jacks, but can you tell me what the other one is and explain to me what is the difference between the two, thanks.
no,no. i'm pretty sure that together they are a stereo jack...because you can run one to one amp and one to another. getting two different sound and you can blend them.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Doesn't one jack have output for one pickup, and the other jack has an output for both, or the OTHER pickup if you have it plugged into the first one? Furthermore, wasn't that just on 4001's?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah the stereo output run to just the neck pick up (or bridge i'm not sure) and then the other jack runs to both. So technically you can run just the neck pickup to one amp and then run the bridge pickup to another amp. You can get some really great sounds if you have all the equipment to do it.
Quote by lukeman970
Yeah the stereo output run to just the neck pick up (or bridge i'm not sure) and then the other jack runs to both. So technically you can run just the neck pickup to one amp and then run the bridge pickup to another amp. You can get some really great sounds if you have all the equipment to do it.
This isn't full description of how it works. Wiring diagram from Ric:

If you plug into the mono jack, a switch built into that jack will connect both circuits together in mono.

To use the Stereo output you MUST use a Stereo cable. The other end of that cable can be split to feed 2 separate amps. But if you plug in a mono cable into the stereo jack, the Bass (neck) pickup's volume control will be shorted to ground. The treble (bridge pickup will still work, unless the pickup selector is in the neck only position.

If you try to use 2 mono cables, one in each of the jacks, the mono jack connects both circuits together to the tip connection of the mono jack. At the same time, the ring connection for the bass pickup circuit will be shorted to ground.
Result: Everything shorted to ground = no sound.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wow, thanks for the help everyone, especially SomeoneYouKnew. I was a bit confused on this issue, but now you all cleared it up.
Not to keep a dieing horse alive, but yeah, you buy a stereo splitter cable, and plug the single-cabled end into the stereo output. Then, you take each of the two cables at the other end and plug them into either your effects (the effects that each cable is plugged into will only work on the respective pickup assigned to that cable), or straight into two seperate amps. The result is a wonderfully mixed unique sound. The bass (neck) pup transmits through the cable labled 'Bass,' and the Treble pup through the cable labled 'Treble.' It's pretty simple, really, when you have it set in front of you.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Last edited by ChaoticPeace at May 14, 2008,