I bought me a used Peavey classic 30 off ebay about a month or so ago. I only recently had time to start playing around with it. I was told almost by everyone this is a great classic rock amp.

Well to make a long story im a big GNR fan and i cant seem to get a decent Slash tone out of it. I can play the Hotel California solo out of it and it sounds almost exactly like the record type sound, but like i said before this seems to be the only thing i can get out of it it? Do i need a pedal in front of it or what?

One more thing before i go. When im playing on the lead channel, when i turn the post gain past 7 with the pre gain cranked up my volume dies coming out of the amp. It sounds like im playing threw head phones laying beside me or something. Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
probably need some new tubes
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Does that apply for both question?
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
What kind of tubes would you recommend for Slash tone?
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
well in all reality you will probably need an overdrive to get to slash territory. Tubes don't make a huge difference, they are more like fine tuners.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Tubes should fix the volume thing but they aren't gonna get you slash's tone. That comes from his amp and his alnico II pups in his LP
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
four of them have JJ el 84 on them and i cant see anything wrote on the other 3
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
OIC well im glad to hear its the tubes on the volume thing cause i was afraid i might have got screwed over on that part lol. Like JLT said i can probably find me a OD pedal to make me happy on the tone. Im not real picky i just want something close and i had to say it but as of right now my old Marshall mg100 with my POD XT Live is giving me a better Slash tone lol. I do beleive i will invest in a Noise pedal later on also to kill some of that feed back. Thanks alot tho guys
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
Quote by rseiberos2002
four of them have JJ el 84 on them and i cant see anything wrote on the other 3

This is what it should take for tubes. Four EL84s and three 12AX7s. I would personally recommend JJ power tubes and Tung-Sol preamp tubes.

As for slashes tone. You need a British voiced amp and a LP or similar sounding guitar, with a mild output pickup like the Alnico ll pro. He gets his tone from overdrive. Not distortion or fuzz. Part of his overdrive is overdriving the power tubes. If you cant turn it up to at least 7 you will not get close to his tone.

I dont think that amp will give you a slash tone without pedals. I dont know I have never used it. If everyone told you it was great for classic rock then it prob is. However I think classic rock is different then hard rock.

I would get a OD pedal to run in front of the clean channel, or a booster pedal for your lead channel while running real low gain. A Comp/Sust pedal would help also.

Good luck with the tube problem.
Alrighty thanks alot bro.
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX